Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 8, 2014   #226
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Looking good. Did you try okra? I grew few last year. If picked early, you can just eat it raw. It never made to my kitchen.
Yes Ella we grow Okra. Last year my Okra plants were like over 10 feet tall. We grew Texas Long Horn and Lady fingers. This year i want to try some dwarf varieties as the plants were just so tall last year. One thing i learned last year with Okra once they get tall you can cut them almost down to a foot from the ground level and it will grow back and produce again.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #227
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

That is good to know, thanks for the info. I grew clemson spineless okra.
Do you cook yours?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #228
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
That is good to know, thanks for the info. I grew clemson spineless okra.
Do you cook yours?
Yes Ella we cook ours in curries or fry it. But here is how we make ours. How do you prepare them?

http://srilankanfusioncooking.wordpr...dala-okra-fry/
Old April 8, 2014   #229
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I like okra grilled on the grill. In gumbo or fried in a bit of olive oil with cornmeal is also delicious. I've had Parmesan in the breading, which is the way my mother used to make and that's good too. ( also good on zukes).
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #230
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
If you did not catch this in my earlier posts almost a year ago. This is the easiest way to graft multiple varieties which i call it vertical grafting. It's so easy its almost to stupid to be true. No humidity chambers, no fancy grafting clips, you can let the grafts heal right outside without babying them indoors.. All you need is some Aquarium tubing and wire. Basically i came up with this method because i wanted carry over eggplant suckers (which are hard to root) and the only way for me to successfully do that was to combine it with a tomato plant so the root system of the tomato plant would support the eggplant sucker and eventually as the graft healed the eggplant would throw out its own roots. For almost a year i wondered if it was possible to have a hybrid root system (like the eggplant root system working along with a tomato root system and combining qualities of both in to one plant). This is where it puzzled me about grafting in general - because in order for the scion to reap the rewards of the root stock the scion had to be above ground level. If the scion rooted then those qualities would be lost. Now if that's the case in an eggplant/tomato situation how would that work out? Okay for James & Anne if you haven't done the bouquet grafting yet method.. here is how i do it.

This is the coolest thing ever! ! I have 6 different cherry tomato plants and I dont have room for them many more plants but when they get a little bigger and have suckers big enough I can do three and three vertical grafting and put both triple top plants in one earth container. How fun!!

Thanks so much for sharing this info.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #231
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
This is the coolest thing ever! ! I have 6 different cherry tomato plants and I dont have room for them many more plants but when they get a little bigger and have suckers big enough I can do three and three vertical grafting and put both triple top plants in one earth container. How fun!!

Thanks so much for sharing this info.

Ginny
Anytime Ginny & thanks for posting! No longer do we have to throw away poor suckers that we prune off - which i hate to do - throwing away good suckers when you know you can propagate more clones! We can combine multiple varieties and give them as gifts to gardening friends/neighbors if we end up with to many plants - now how cool would that be eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I like okra grilled on the grill. In gumbo or fried in a bit of olive oil with cornmeal is also delicious. I've had Parmesan in the breading, which is the way my mother used to make and that's good too. ( also good on zukes).
Tracy that sounds Delish! Will have to give that a try. Thanks for the recipe ideas.
Old April 8, 2014   #232
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Awesome!! About how long before you take the tubing and wire off?

Ginny
Old April 8, 2014   #233
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Awesome!! About how long before you take the tubing and wire off?

Ginny
Ginny if i do it without the Aquarium tubing (and just the wire) i just leave the wire as is. The stem will just grow right over it. But if i have the Aquarium tubing on then i will kinda wait till i see roots coming from the 6 cell trays then remove the wire and tubing and plant directly in to the garden.
Old April 8, 2014   #234
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Rootloops check your Mushroom Goo method! Mycelium is running crazy - i had to take a peek. ! How is yours coming along?

I guess the substrate that i thought was spent doesn't look like its finished yet. I noticed a whole bunch of new pins so.. I guess i have a few more flushes to go before i will try to break it up and see if i can expand it again in new medium.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mycelium.jpg (149.5 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg oyster_pins.jpg (145.4 KB, 123 views)
Old April 8, 2014   #235
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Ok last questions for now.
How do you sterilize the tool you use to cut with?
What is the wire from or where do you get it?
Does each stem keep the integrity of the original plant it came from?

Sorry if I'm asking something you already answered. I have suckers galore on some of my plants and want to get started trying a few tonight when I get home from work. The cherries will have to wait until they grow more but these will be practice.
Old April 8, 2014   #236
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

whether its your first pin or your millionth, still exciting!
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #237
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ok last questions for now.
How do you sterilize the tool you use to cut with?

Isopropyl alcohol

What is the wire from or where do you get it?

Dollar Store

Does each stem keep the integrity of the original plant it came from?

yes
Old April 8, 2014   #238
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Ok thanks. And keep up all of the exciting discoveries! You are an inspiration to us all... :-)

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; April 8, 2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old April 8, 2014   #239
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ok thanks. And keep up all of the exciting discoveries! You are an inspiration to us all... :-)

Ginny
You bet! Now that Tomato Grafting is easy breezy moving on to my regular summer veggies. The grafting experiments continue on.. Some cuke, watermelon, cantaloupe, luffa and butternut. Hopefully some of these will take quickly so i can get them outside soon. Still waiting on 3 pumpkin seeds to germinate so i can add some new grafts. Hopefully more to share on this thread to keep the fun rolling!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grafting_experiments1.jpg (85.5 KB, 121 views)
Old April 9, 2014   #240
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Are you planning on grafting cucumber on cantaloupe or wise versa?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote