Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 24, 2007   #226
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Grub,
Where is Vorlon from? Is it one of Andrey's?
Old December 24, 2007   #227
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

Seeds from Vorlon came from NH... it's a stable cross between Cherokee Purple and Prudens Purple, both of which are also growing in my garden this year.

It's as productive as PP, as in very, but with a CP colouration.

Taste? Excellent. Almost as good as CP... but add the production and it's better. Will get a seed save going asap.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2007   #228
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Those slicer pictures are pure torture! Beautiful.

Plants looking great here but nothing readiy to eat yet. Sprinklers on timer. Neighboor on watch.
Car is all packed...leaving in the morning for some bush camping next to a little river for who knows how long. Fishing gear on board, hamac, books.... Raided the compost bin for worms.

Hopefully I'll have some ripe juicy tomatos on our return. In the meantime wishing a Happy New Year to all. May 2008 bring you plenty of laughter, good health and friendship and a bountyful harvest. Thanks for your help and smiles and look forward to many more in the coming year.

Cheers!
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2007   #229
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Happy New Year to you too Fullmoon.

Grub, definitely sounds like it deserves a go. Yes please if you save some seeds.
Old December 27, 2007   #230
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Unless there's a mix up or something wrong with my buds I have Vorlon 0.5pts ahead of JD's Special CD C-Tex. Vorlon is bigger but also on a plant but PL and, importantly, it has more depth of flavour and better sweet/sour balance at this point in time and this (strange) season. That said, I have only have eaten three JDs and three Vorlon. Will try a seed save, hoping I've avoided the bees. If I were to bag in this weather I'd get zip anyway.
Old December 27, 2007   #231
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Check these out boys hehe
Two Toms Yellow Wonders, a Kellogs Breakfast and a Neaves Azoreon Red, now to find a recipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TYW-KB-NAR27-12-07.jpg (84.4 KB, 28 views)
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2007   #232
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

Girl here Mantis.........how can you get Kellogs Breakfast this early......bugger.

I got "The Silver Spoon" Recipe book from Santa - try random selection "Pomodori con Robiola" - stuffed with chopped dark tomatoes, butter, robiola and gorgonzola, paprika, chives, s&p, sprinkled with vodka, chilled.
cosmicgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2007   #233
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Cosmic, didnt know you were in
Making oven roasted chump chops with onions, tomatoes layered over chops and french onion soup mix. Smells good so far
Old December 27, 2007   #234
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

I'll be over - no more left overs left; the kids and their kids have eaten us out of house and home - not to mention all the other stuff they've nicked including my trailer to take their pressies home and my bottle of Limoncello............ Enjoy your tomatoes........I picked a few today - IPB, Druzba, Kotlas, Ida Gold and a few Lime Green salad. Look nice in the bowl. No 'biggies' yet though but Cherokee Purple is "LOADED'........and interestingly enough so is Brandywine Suddeth's - thanks Raymondo
Old December 27, 2007   #235
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Eaten and it was good. Made a tomato and onion pie from the KB to go with it. Hey, the kids even liked it, they must have been hungry
Old December 27, 2007   #236
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Great growing Southerners.
It's gotta be your year.

Manto,
You have plenty of TYW compared with me. Good onya brother. I have a box of half ripes for the boat... be back in a few weeks.

We just had an insalada caprese for dinner with Vorlon, M. Hat, Perito Italian, Spudalucie, Kimberly and top-shelf EVOO etc.

Hopefully, the 40 mouse baits I set will get the blighters.

Tally-ho... will check back every day. Lol.
Old December 27, 2007   #237
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

I've got one more picking from Ida Gold and then they go to compost as I need the room in the hothouse, as have Red Cloud, Oregon Spring and GMG, starting to spread out. Red Cloud has been a tasty tomato, more so than Oregon Spring, IMO. My dwarf plants are also spreading out.

In the garden I have a "special" approaching 7ft in height and it still has a lot of growing in it yet.

I hope your baits do some good Grub.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2007   #238
Rena
Tomatovillian™

insalada caprese.................. Yum and more Yum!!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2007   #239
cosmicgardener
Tomatovillian™

McSee, did you find Ida Gold a real taste explosion! We love it. We have one grandie who swore she would NEVER eat a tomato and she is quite sold on Ida Gold. I'm interested that you compost your spent plants. I have never put tomato leaves or old plants in the compost for fear of carrying pathogens into the next planting - even though I hot compost I'm afraid to use tomato plants in it. What's your trick to avoid anything carrying over?
Old December 27, 2007   #240
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Ida Gold were pretty ordinary, a little tart in taste but were the first ones ripe in the hothouse. Now a good tasting tomato is Kotlas, the first ripe in the garden here this year and to think I've had the seed for 10 years too.

By compost, I mean Council compost, as we have garden waste wheelie bins and get rid of all green waste this way. The only compost I use is Mushroom Compost, you can't really beat it.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote