Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 8, 2017   #226
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryman View Post
Yes, very funny Pete, and I can see that there might be some truth in what you say.
I never grew it, but I had a friend who did (waaaay back) and the vigor of those plants was astounding!

When I was young, a long time ago, some folks said that if you smoked that stuff it would make your babies born naked.
It was back in the mid 80s when I did this. I was in university and with the agricultural college part of our uni there was lots of research material on the subject one could read. The first gardening book I ever read was The Marijuana Grower's Guide. I had a 4' light fixture in the closet and several plants underneath with the lights hooked up to a timer.

The two things I remember most about it was first the smell of the plants. A lot like tomatoes. The smell was beautiful and healthy (It wasn't skunk weed I guess). The second thing I remember is that if you listened closely you could hear the plants growing. Seriously! The leaves would slide off of each other in that confined little space and there was a constant and quiet rustling of the leaves as they grew past one another.

When we decided to have kids the lights and the plants went to the dump. It was actually years later when I got into growing tomatoes and so far I haven't heard them growing but have only witnessed the changes afterwards. But I still remember the sound and that magical plant smell. The smell of my youth.

Confession is good for the soul. Growing tomatoes is even better!

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #227
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

AIUI the skunkiness comes from improperly drying the plant parts. Fungus gets among them.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #228
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
AIUI the skunkiness comes from improperly drying the plant parts. Fungus gets among them.
Some Afghani (cannabis indica) smells like skunk growing trust me I know.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #229
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default New Canadian Flag

Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #230
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Some Afghani (cannabis indica) smells like skunk growing trust me I know.

Worth
Agreed. One of the top varieties that is talked about from BC is called 'Duncan Skunk' because its smell is so strong and so like a skunk. The sativa plants of my youth were a much fresher and gentler smell. That said, I haven't been an 'expert' in a long time!

I like my tomatoes and peppers better. I don't have to hide them in a closet!

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #231
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
"Skunk" is generally a compliment. The smell I think you're talking about is more like urine, and it comes from intentionally cultivating the fungus to which you refer. Plants are chopped, then piled in the field and covered in black plastic in the hot Mexican sun. White mold will colonize all of the material first, which keeps out the much more destructive black mold. The end product is brown and smells like a donkey peed on it. The quality is so low that it can't compete with the new made-in-the-usa stuff, which has led the cartels to largely abandon the pot smuggling business. That might be a good thing, had they all not switched to the heroin smuggling business, flooding the country with a cheap product with unpredictable potency that has created an epidemic of overdoses.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #232
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

there are 2 PACNW strains called Cat Pi$$ and dog $hit, that have been around since the 90's both are highly potent dwarfs, but are named correctly
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #233
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyhat View Post
there are 2 PACNW strains called Cat Pi$$ and dog $hit, that have been around since the 90's both are highly potent dwarfs, but are named correctly
Quote:
strains called Cat Pi$$ and dog $hit,

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2017   #234
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Whatever happened to Christmas tree sensimilla? It smelled just like Rosemary.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #235
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Last year I was certain that some neighbour was growing weed in their yard. I kept smelling a skunky odour I hadn't been near in years whenever I did anything by the back fence. It took me a while to realize that the odour was emanating from a deciduous azalea in my yard whose leaves put out that odour when it gets warm enough. Sure a different smell from the scented azalea flowers! Cleome leaves also have that skunky smell.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #236
kurt
Tomatovillian™

The skunk you smell is/was possibly the breeding of the earliest wild cannabis strain called Cannabis Ruderalis,the third of the weeds.Originally from Russia,Asia a wild weed that was bred into your "hash" plants popular in my day.As for fungus/curing?Fungas and mold are the nemeses of all the farmers,curing primo is done by drying via air(hanging covered )preferably dry away from rain/moisture which will ruin the whole lot.The golds are sundried in upper elevations.All are packed (compressed)as to "rock up" up to 6-8 months.This art is gone to the plug and play,additives,pushers,advance nutrients,flushes ,dryers for that optimal performance buds nowadays.Then vacuum packed,Mylar coated,vacuumed packaged,and sent to your home via the net.

Last edited by kurt; April 9, 2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Spelin
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #237
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

This week the Dallas City Council passed an ordinance changing the violation of possession less than 4 oz. to a misdemeanor meriting a ticket. (not entirely sure of the details)

And so it begins.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #238
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

You know those nifty grow rooms referred to in your Fresher than Fresh thread?.....As legalization proceeds guess what's going into those rooms?

Quote:
This week the Dallas City Council passed an ordinance changing the violation of possession less than 4 oz. to a misdemeanor meriting a ticket. (not entirely sure of the details)

And so it begins.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #239
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it's a good thing we grow our own food... there might be shortages!
Nice to see how local governments can step up to the plate and get things moving, DM.

The new Canadian laws were just announced yesterday but are given more than a year to take effect. Provinces will have jurisdiction over some things, including price, who sells and where, etc.

The federal law has some ???? strange features, and some aspects are very strict. For example, you are only allowed to possess 30 g at a time after the law comes into effect - that's about 1 oz.
It seems a bit bizarre, and not sure how that will interact with the four plants you're allowed to own, when the time comes to dry it down for winter. Or do they want you to dry it an ounce at a time, and process an ounce more after you smoked the last crumb????
Frankly, I wonder what they were smoking when they came up with that. twisted:
Also some wierd rules about packaging with no branding or logos.
Wha??? Plain brown wrapper I mean a baggie no doubt.
Won't be able to tell one kind from another, which one did I like?
Won't be able to tell if the "30 g" package you're carrying is from the right side of the fence.
Nope it's gonna be just like forever, a sneaky kinda thing???? Not regular free enterprise legal stuff? Brand recognition? The medical growers are needless to say a bit miffed about that.
It is downright wierd.
No adverts, they don't want any converts from beer I guess.
Snif snif a sternly regulated vice.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2017   #240
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

keep grafting onto the same plant
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote