Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 9, 2013   #226
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Nope, none for sale here and only DH for help. I grow a couple dozen extra plants for the neighbors and give away loads of tomatoes throughout the season because we don't use or process them all. I do all the planting, watering, etc. for the pleasure of finding and eating wonderful tomatoes. I'm searching for the perfect tomato and I've found several favorites so I hope to be growing a much more reasonable number of plants next season...but I've been saying that now for 3 years.

kath
Hello, Kath,
I am in NJ.
What are your favorites for keeps?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #227
kath
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Ella! Since I found T'ville in 2010 and have tried hundreds of varieties, the ones I'm still growing again this year include Hays' Tomato, Sandul Moldovan, Amazon Chocolate, Work Release Paste, Terhune, Hawaiian Pineapple, Sungold F1, Chocolate Beefsteak, Daniels, Copper River, Barlow Jap, Fish Lake Oxheart, Giannini, Indian Stripe x possibly Daniels, JD's Special C-Tex and PPP x PP "C". Some I've only grown once before and I'm trying lots of others to see which ones come out on top this year. If I find some of each color/category that I still love my list for next year will be lots shorter.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #228
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I grew out 200+ varieties last year to find some that did well in my area and had every intention to scale way back this year. But a few offers of space to grow and outlets for tomatoes and I ended up growing just as many this year, although this list is fairly heavy towards cherry and salad types for my prospective partners/customers.

I'm also interested in doing more breeding and have quite a few in the list mostly for breeding purposes.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2013   #229
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Hi, Ella! Since I found T'ville in 2010 and have tried hundreds of varieties, the ones I'm still growing again this year include Hays' Tomato, Sandul Moldovan, Amazon Chocolate, Work Release Paste, Terhune, Hawaiian Pineapple, Sungold F1, Chocolate Beefsteak, Daniels, Copper River, Barlow Jap, Fish Lake Oxheart, Giannini, Indian Stripe x possibly Daniels, JD's Special C-Tex and PPP x PP "C". Some I've only grown once before and I'm trying lots of others to see which ones come out on top this year. If I find some of each color/category that I still love my list for next year will be lots shorter.

kath
Thank you, Kath,
I am regrowing Amazon Chocolate as well. I am not sure about heart types. I used to like them when I was a kid. They ware my faves, though I did not know their names.
Now I am in love with black toms. Few pink tomatoes are on my grow list this year. I am given them a chance. I have one heart: Anna Russian. I am excited about two paste: Wessell’s purple pride (RL, 75, paste tomato crossed with Cherokee purple) and Egyptian.
I see that your list has all types and shapes. I am trying to find MY EVERY YEAR grow list. This is my second year of going over board with varieties.
It is comforting to know that I am not the only one.
thank you

Old April 9, 2013   #230
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Thank you, Kath,
I am regrowing Amazon Chocolate as well. I am not sure about heart types. I used to like them when I was a kid. They ware my faves, though I did not know their names.
Now I am in love with black toms. Few pink tomatoes are on my grow list this year. I am given them a chance. I have one heart: Anna Russian. I am excited about two paste: Wessell’s purple pride (RL, 75, paste tomato crossed with Cherokee purple) and Egyptian.
I see that your list has all types and shapes. I am trying to find MY EVERY YEAR grow list. This is my second year of going over board with varieties.
It is comforting to know that I am not the only one.
thank you
..."the only one"?!You have seen the other lists in this thread, right, Ella? I think most of us are trying to find our "EVERY YEAR grow list" but there are so many temptations in the seemingly endless varieties that are discussed here each year. I seem to like the darks and the pinks the best and the heart types are very appealing to me because of their juicy meatiness but I think they're all so beautiful that I'm hoping to find at least one favorite slicer and cherry in each color. I had hoped that 2 years of craziness was going to be enough but...this is year 4 for me. You've got a great list that contains lots of popular varieties- I hope you find lots of winners!

kath
Old April 10, 2013   #231
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Kath,
I wish the same to you. After all it is fun.

Old April 10, 2013   #232
charley
Tomatovillian™

some one should start a new topic (EVERY YEAR GROW LIST) this is only my second year growing tomatoes so looking at these long list of tomatoes it would take years to find the best tastin varieties.but if i had a every year grow list it would help narrow it down a bit
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2013   #233
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Wow! 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
riceke.......my approx. 100 plants have to be potted up twice to get them to Canada in
addition to about 25 more that I distribute enroute. I don't get sore though as I am only
76 yrs old.
Congrats Alpinejs on keping it going after 76 years. Potting and repotting isn't what gets to me but putting them in the ground is a different story. I'm 67 but going on 80 especially after that last planting. I was just curious as to why so many plants and varieties. I just guess folks grow for different reasons.
Old April 10, 2013   #234
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charley View Post
some one should start a new topic (EVERY YEAR GROW LIST) this is only my second year growing tomatoes so looking at these long list of tomatoes it would take years to find the best tastin varieties.but if i had a every year grow list it would help narrow it down a bit
great idea, Charley,
go for it

Old April 10, 2013   #235
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

I am new to growing heirloom tomatoes. Usually I buy them from a nursery, but this year I decided to select my tomatoes and start from seed. I am amazed by the list that others have shared. I am limited to my small backyard so this year is the most I have ever planted. Here is my little list:

PINK BERKELEY TIE-DYE: from Wild Boar Farms
RED BOAR: from Wild Boar Farms
PINK BOAR: from Wild Boar Farms
SWEET CARNEROS PINK: from Wild Boar Farms
Zapotec Pink Ribbed: from Tomato Growers Supply Company
Mexico: from Tomato Growers Supply Company
German Giant: from Tomato Growers Supply Company
Indigo Rose: from Nichols Garden Nursery
San Marzano: from Peace Valley Farm Supply
Marizol Bratka: Heritage Tomato Seed
Russian Queen: Heritage Tomato Seed
Eva Purple Ball: Heritage Tomato Seed
Egyptian: Heritage Tomato Seed
Cherokee Purple: Peace Valley Farm Supply
Sungold Cherry: Two Dog Nursery
Druzba Bugaria: Heritage Tomato Seed
Sibirskiy Velikan Rozovyi: Heritage Tomato Seed

All were from seed except the Sungold Cherry.

Last edited by Ms. Jitomate; April 10, 2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: typo, added to the list
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2013   #236
Yak54
Tomatovillian™

I am growing 6 varieties this year. In fact I just started the seeds last night. Trying to keep them warm.

Momotaro
Nicky Crain
Riesentraube
Indian Stripe
Stump of the World
Sekai Ichi

Only one on my "grow every year" list has been Momotaro for the last 10 yrs. or so. Hope to find more varieties to go on that list though.

Last edited by Yak54; April 11, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Yak54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #237
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

I started most of my seeds tonight- I had been planning to grow Milka's Red Bulgarian, but since the seeds haven't yet arrived, I sowed Prue instead for another good sized red. I'm still waiting for seeds for the 2 starred varieties, since my starting tray is full, I need to wait for a couple of varieties to germinate before starting the last 2 anyway.

Reds
Neves Azorean Red
Cuostralee
Prue
Maya & Sion's Airdrie
Fish Lake Oxheart
Danko
Red Brandywine
Zleovo
Hawaiian

Pinks
Pruden's Purple
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Cowlick's Brandywine
Liz Birt
Terhune
Dutka's Pink x2
Tsar Kolokol
Kosovo
Pervaya Lyubov
Yukon Quest

Blacks
Indian Stripe
*Paul Robeson
JD's Special C-Tex
Bear Creek
Spudatula
Rosella Purple
Tasmanian Chocolate
Dwarf Wild Fred

Green When Ripes
Malachite Box

Orange/Yellow/White
Dwarf Mr. Snow
KBX
Orange Minsk
Jaune Flamme
*Blush

Last edited by gryffin; April 12, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #238
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Zleveo

$$$$$$

I think you meant to spell that one Zleovo, from Macedonia.

There are some varieties that I can't spell unless I type each letter very slowly and have the name right in front of me.

That's why I say Malachite Box, instead of the S_______ correct name.

Good looking list.

Carolyn
Old April 12, 2013   #239
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

There are some varieties that I can't spell unless I type each letter very slowly and have the name right in front of me.

That's why I say Malachite Box, instead of the S_______ correct name.

Carolyn
Well now I feel a bit less guilty about using English translations for some of these tomatoes.For me it's not so much the spelling but the pronunciations that are the biggest difficulty.

kath
Old April 12, 2013   #240
gryffin
Tomatovillian™

Oops.

I fixed the spelling- I got it right on the plant tag, but when I typed it up on my iPad, I misspelled it.

Thanks for pointing it out.
gryffin is offline   Reply With Quote