Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 22, 2012   #226
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

flyingbrass, the picture of the bugs you posted may be immature ... this is a pic of the adult squash bug.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/9106
Old May 22, 2012   #227
flyingbrass
Tomatovillian™

I know those well because I get them every year. They eventually ruin my zucchini plants.

These bugs are different. Their heads remind me of a praying mantis, and the rear legs are stocky sort of like a grasshopper. Bodies are skinny compared to squash bugs. Beats me.

I found yet a different bug on a pepper plant about 10 minutes ago. It isn't the usual squash bug either, but perhaps in the same family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-21_bug_on_pepper.jpg (91.7 KB, 36 views)
flyingbrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #228
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Ha Ha Ha Ha, I was just rereading the thread, and I saw this that I posted, Well I have 4 beds of tomato plants, not quite the 1 bed I planned on. And I also have tomato plants in the greenhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
Hey all you Southern Arizona Gardeners,
I thought I would revise this thread to see how your gardens are doing now.
I am gearing up for planting out my seedlings in a couple of weeks.
I am only going to plant tomatoes in one bed. I am amending my beds with LOTS of composted dairy cow manure that I picked up for free. I am actually going to go try to get more this weekend.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #229
flyingbrass
Tomatovillian™

Funny how that works. You're definitely addicted.
Old May 22, 2012   #230
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I came from Missouri, and I really hate the cold, I would be happy if it never got below 40. It its really hot today and insteadof waiting until later my wife insisted on going out and cleaning the ac unit. Arg, I wish she would listen to me sometimes.
Old May 23, 2012   #231
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

108, 4% humidity today.
Yikes!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012   #232
flyingbrass
Tomatovillian™

I want some nights below freezing. I just wish we could have them on a prearranged schedule.

I'm an Arizona desert native. The best time to do yard work here in the dry summer months, such as mowing the lawn, is mid to late afternoon. Temp should be at least 105 or you'll get too chilly if a breeze is blowing. Hotter is better. Wear a swimming suit and hose yourself down occasionally.

The monsoon season is a different story.
Old May 23, 2012   #233
Marymcp
Tomatovillian™

Tracy, did the gypsum and azomite help with BER on your paste plants? Maybe it's too soon to tell. I have lost many fruit to BER on both the San Marzano and Black Plum. Then for the fruits that are left, someone is feasting. Yesterday I discovered ants all over the beds. Before that I think it was the milkweed bug. I've sprayed some insecticidal soap but don't think that will help with the ants. Any suggestions on getting rid of either the BER or the ants? Here's a pic of the bug I think is sucking out the juicy tomatoes.
Marymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012   #234
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marymcp View Post
Tracy, did the gypsum and azomite help with BER on your paste plants? Maybe it's too soon to tell. I have lost many fruit to BER on both the San Marzano and Black Plum. Then for the fruits that are left, someone is feasting. Yesterday I discovered ants all over the beds. Before that I think it was the milkweed bug. I've sprayed some insecticidal soap but don't think that will help with the ants. Any suggestions on getting rid of either the BER or the ants? Here's a pic of the bug I think is sucking out the juicy tomatoes.
Too soon to tell.
That could also be a blister beetle, I have a hard time telling the two apart. Any alfalfa fields near you?
Old May 23, 2012   #235
Marymcp
Tomatovillian™

No alfalfa fields, I'm smack in the middle of town. I checked on blister beetle but the body is a different shape and it does not have that white spot. Thanks for the reply. It's so discouraging. Just in from an early morning check of the garden and whatever it is, it starts munching as soon as the tomato gets a blush. I'm going to harvest sooner and let them ripen on the counter.
Old May 23, 2012   #236
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Diatomaceous earth really helps with bugs like that.
Old May 23, 2012   #237
Marymcp
Tomatovillian™

Here's some munched toms......can ants open the skin? I don't know the 'body structure' of ants but I'm wondering if something that can pinch opens a wound on the fruit, then it's a free-for-all. The insecticial soap does not appear to have had ANY effect whatsoever. Any suggestions folks?

On a brighter note, I do have *some* fruits. Doubt the solid green ones will ever ripen. Maybe I'll just grill them as is tonight. sigh

Old May 23, 2012   #238
Marymcp
Tomatovillian™

cross-posted. Thanks desert....that's a great idea. I think I even have some.
Old May 23, 2012   #239
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

Probably the milkweed/ seed bug.
I have similar type on the right pic, but they seem to be busy with golden rain tree seeds in my yard and in the tree when in bloom waiting in anticipation of young seeds. They do patrol the yard, and does not appear to suck on much else. I try to keep the population down, but with a million seeds its difficult. It hard enough just keeping the seeds out of my compost bins

DE does help, and Neem for the nymphs for spot checking while moms nurse them for a while.

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/category...d-bugs/page/3/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small_milkweed_bug_daniel-260x300.jpg (22.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg red1.jpg (89.8 KB, 26 views)
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012   #240
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marymcp View Post
No alfalfa fields, I'm smack in the middle of town. I checked on blister beetle but the body is a different shape and it does not have that white spot. Thanks for the reply. It's so discouraging. Just in from an early morning check of the garden and whatever it is, it starts munching as soon as the tomato gets a blush. I'm going to harvest sooner and let them ripen on the counter.
I think theres like 50 different blister beetles.
Living in OK and buying alfalfa for the horses, I had to be paranoid.