Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 8, 2008   #196
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default cat grass

Worth,get that cat some cat oats grass,i just planted the last of mine or I would send you some,my cat loves this stuff and i think if it was around she or he would leave your tomato's alone,it grows really fast so you can have it up in about 3 days, Cats go nuts about the stuff,good luck,Garden Happy
gardenhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #197
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default peroxide

Can anyone tell me how much peroxide to put on plants that have fur growing on them?? For some reason everything i give fish emulsion to are getting fur on the soil that are in the green house,going to dilute it way down and see if that helps,may have to go to another fertilizer anyone else have this happen,it must be the heat because when they we're in the house they we're fine,family was ticked at me but the plants we're happy.
Old February 8, 2008   #198
flipt
Tomatovillian™

Hi all, I've been MIA lately as I was really busy at work and was outta town for a week also. My gardens are looking poorly with the tylc virus and foliage probs but I've been getting a lot of tomatos anyway.

And, over the past few days I picked the ones in the first pic below, starting l to r from the front row - Cuostralee, Aunt Gertie's Gold, Sudduth Bwine, Yellow Brandtwine, and Mexico. Row 2 - Bulgarian #7, Chapman, Red Penna, Cherokee Purple, Red Brandywine. Row 3 - Akers WVa, Marianna's Peace, Brianna, Pink Potato Top, German Red Strawberry. Row 4 - Large Pink Bulgarian, Neves Azorean Red, Jaune Flamme, some sweet peppers, Dr Lyle. Row 5 - Wes, Brandywine OTV, Reif Red Heart, Tidwell German. Behind Tidwell are some Russian Bogatyr.

Here's what I mean by raggedy vines with decent fruit - a Brandywine OTV - 2nd pic.

Hope everyone's doing well with their gardens!

Flip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2830.jpg (192.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2825.jpg (414.2 KB, 34 views)
flipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2008   #199
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenhappy View Post
Can anyone tell me how much peroxide to put on plants that have fur growing on them?? For some reason everything i give fish emulsion to are getting fur on the soil that are in the green house,going to dilute it way down and see if that helps,may have to go to another fertilizer anyone else have this happen,it must be the heat because when they we're in the house they we're fine,family was ticked at me but the plants we're happy.
Suze pointed this out in another thread for damping off.

I just used 1 part hydrogen peroxide (household strength) to 10 parts water.

I eye balled it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2008   #200
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default thanks

Thanks Worth,Now are you talking about beer or peroxide??
Just had to ask I got the problem taken care of ,thanks,we had a lot of wind here today but otherwise I was so happy to get rain All the plants are looking good.
Those pictures by Flipt , look so good,i can't wait getting fruit on but none ripe yet.Mine all froze during that bad freeze a few months back but Rena brought me some plants so soon i'll have tomato's!!!
Old February 21, 2008   #201
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default garden doing great

Garden is looking great!! Sweet corn up by 1 1/2 inches,tomato's transplanting out,basil,dill,beans are all up and growing well in the gardens,peas are great,potato's are up,garlic,onions,shallots,carrots,herbs,broccoli's ,califlowers,cabages,,mustards,lettuce,chards,kale s,zinnas,scentes sweet peas,yard long beans,........ Every things looks so good,now just to keep stray wild hogs,and bugs at bay!!!! Rained here tonight and we needed it so much We are running high-mid 70's days and 60's nights,the plants seem to be loving it!!! Sweet corn came up in 7 days tomato's transplantes out are doing great so far!!!!!!!! I'm so happy winter is gone!!!!!!
Old February 26, 2008   #202
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

Looks like i might have planted to soon with this cold front coming in........i should have waited till march .I am in texas so i wont be home to try to save them although i did call a freind who is going to try to cover them for me.If it gets as cold as they are saying it might not do any good though.So then it looks like il have to buy some plants from the local walmart or a few other places i know close buy but i doubt il find any good heirlooms.Oh well live and learn i guess.
captnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2008   #203
MargeH
Tomatovillian™

This is from a story that came across the wires tonight at work.

Thursday morning, the National Weather Service is forecasting 32 degrees in eastern Hillsborough and low to middle 30s in Tampa.
In Eastern Pasco and Hernando, the temperatures might fall lower. A light wind could give the wintry temperatures even more of a bite.
If the temperature does fall to freezing in Tampa, it would be only the sixth time since 1890 that a freeze struck Feb. 28 or later. The latest freeze recorded in Tampa was on March 5, 1893, when it was 32 degrees.

Gardenhappy, I think you picked the wrong year to start gardening around here. I hope your plants come through OK. Wunderground is predicting 37 and the Weather Channel 41 for Sarasota, so I should be OK. I think that because my plants are close to the pool and the water is swimming temperature right now, I will gain a couple degrees of warmth.

I will bring in a few things and maybe cover some others, just in case. I didn't have anything die in the last bad cold spell, but they were my fall plants and I didn't care what happened to them. This time it would be serious. I have lots of tomatoes on a number of my plants.

____
Marjorie
MargeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2008   #204
annecros
Tomatovillian™

Was really worried about you guys. Keep safe and warm up there! We're supposed to get down in the 40s Thursday AM - so I knew you guys were close to freezing.

Good luck, and stay warm.
annecros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2008   #205
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default freeze

Well,I cameout pretty good, had frozen water on top of plastic ,got to 37 last night and to 34 the night before,everything made it tho,a few about 5 of the tomato plants got a nip,one had tomato's on it,i folar fed them this morning before the sun came up i read in a tomato book if you folar feed stressed plants that they get the nutrition 70% faster then ground feeding,hope he's right,my sweet corn came thru fine,lost a few potato's ,and a few pole beans,everything else tho is doing fine,your right tho was not the year to test the limits,I hardley have any tomato seeds this year so I don't want to lose what i have!!!!! Most of my tomato's are in the hoop house and they are all fine I had just transplanted Andrey's tomato's outside 1/2 of them but I shored them up with leaves and dirt and this morning they looked fine.
Old February 29, 2008   #206
MargeH
Tomatovillian™

We got into the low 40s here, so no problems. I foliar fed this morning, too, because I didn't want to do it until the temps were better and should have sprayed them Tuesday. I also found a tomato starting to blush on one of my dwarf project plants this morning. Happy days.

I guess we will be in the 80s by Sunday.

Gardenhappy, I'm glad that you didn't lose much. I guess we will have to wait to hear from Captnkirk to see if his plants survived in Dade City.

____
Marjorie
Old February 29, 2008   #207
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

Hello everyone ...I just got home today and looks like the plants with the help of some very good freinds of mine have made it ok.My freinds covered the six plants i have in the raised beds with sheets and they carried my 6 earthboxes inside to my florida room so all 18 plants made it ok ,although 3 of the plants in the eb have something wrong with ythem so i will be replacing them with 3 from walmart,,,I got 2 super fantastics and 1 better boy .That makes 5 i have had to replace that i had started from seed.i have lost 1 bigbeef 1red brandywine 1 brandywine 1 delicious and 1 cherokee purple.
captnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #208
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default weather

Here we go again friends,weather man says he thinkf Friday night/saterday storms are going to be bad bringing possible damage!!!! I sure hope not Everything is doing so well,going to shore up again against wind damage on the smaller ones but what do you all do for the tomato's 3' high staked outside?? Their all getting tomato's too!!!! Do you wrap them?? What with?
Old March 7, 2008   #209
gardenhappy
Tomatovillian™

Default weather

I don't know about your parts of Florida but boy is the wind flying here!!!! Limbs are already comming down and it's popped all the wood braces on the in sides of the hoophouse/greenhouse holding the plastic 3/4 of the way down the one side,the plastic was wrapped 3x around those then screwed in!! I've done all I can,hubby is on his way home BUT he's on call And yesterday the wild boar was back O well,all is well that ends well,I'll just have to clean up and do with what is left,i brought all the new seedlings into the house,if the house blowes away too well then at least I have done my best
Old March 7, 2008   #210
MargeH
Tomatovillian™

The wind was fierce here today, too. Most of my dwarf project plants weren't staked securely so I spent a good part of the afternoon staking and tieing. I am at work until midnight and the front came through here after dark. I hope I don't get home and find several pots in the pool (it's happened before when the wind was really blowing).

_____
Marjorie