Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 17, 2016   #196
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I know exactly how you feel. This time of year is orchestrated chaos around here.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #197
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Gerardo is the maestro.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #198
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

As long as I'm not the LA Phil guy then all is well.

I'd rather be Looney Tunes "LEOPOLD!"
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #199
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Yeah the LA phil guy creeped my family out at the Looney Tunes night at the Hollywood Bowl last year. The show was far from family friendly.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #200
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Rise my children, RISE!

These are from #189. Day 4 this AM.

rise my children.jpg
Old March 18, 2016   #201
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Gerardo, how many tomato plant's have you started for this season so far?

Everything looks really nice and green. You have a very nice selection of tomatoes.

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #202
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

This will be my last batch for a while, which means about 6 wks. Over time I've become a fan of staggered plantings and lots of backups. To answer your question, I'll have enough room for about 120 plants or so, and I've easily done twice that amount already.

There's a large family party in a few months and I'm thinking people that dig tomatoes can choose between a solid dwarf like Arctic Rose-Tasm Choc-Mano-Gribovsky, a hanging basket Whippersnapper, or a Mohamed.
Old March 19, 2016   #203
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Can't wait to see your fruit.

Looks nice homie!
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #204
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
Can't wait to see your fruit.

Looks nice homie!
I'm anxiously awaiting fruits too, everyone is around here.
Old March 20, 2016   #205
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Day 7-8

Rise my children, RISE 48/50, not bad.

rise childrenn2.jpg
Old March 20, 2016   #206
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I showed up today and my pooches were shaking as they greeted me, so I knew they'd done something wrong. And indeed they dug up and killed all of the corn, which means I have to create some custom CRW cages to keep them out of the rootpots.

Yesterday I created an "L" around my orange tree and after an overnight integrity test today I set up more plants on tubes. One part of the "L" sits under the tree, it's destined to become the dwarf tube: Fred's Tie Dye, Sweet Scarlet, Patio Princess, Wherokowhai, Uluru Ochre, Arctic Rose, Mano, Tasmanian Chocolate, Shamrock, Pit Viper, Summertime Gold and Green populating it right now. Jackass yellow and Blazing Beauty waiting on the on-deck circle.

The other part of the "L" has Russian Soul, Croatian Brandywine, SOTW, Zamorano, Darocense Corporalis, Rebelski, Rebel Yell, and Bwine Cowlick's.

Thus far I have close to 50 plants on tubes, and about 20 in containers. The goal is to have a little under 100 on tubes and about 40 or so in containers. More or less halfway there.

The next tube will have Pruden's Purple, Marbonne, Everett's Rusty Oxheart, Faworyt, Mazarini, Big Cheef, Taxi, Cosm Volkov, GJ-Benton, Grightmire's Pride, Copper River and Tarasenko-6.

And soon homes will be ready for Momotaro, GGWT, Bear Creek, Morado Ambite, et al.

Last edited by Gerardo; March 21, 2016 at 10:33 AM.
Old March 21, 2016   #207
Bulldog
Tomatovillian™

Dogs will be dogs, even good dogs. I know I am always surprised when my dog does something he hasn't done in a long time, like chew up something he's ignored for months that I thought he wasn't interested in.

Sorry about your corn, though.

Maybe put hot pepper powder to deter them, too.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #208
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

This is such a wonderful and interesting pictorial and history of your efforts. I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying it, though sometimes it makes me tired for you. It appears to be a great success.,except the corn, of course. It will be interesting to watch how it goes with your indeterminates in your long growing season. For my part, I am sticking with the ever increasing selection of dwarfs and compact indeterminates with a smattering of determinates. Thanks so much for the tour and keep on trucking.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #209
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

It's partly my fault for not exercising them enough. Weird how they ignore something and then attack at random.

More seeds and a long long season, so it's just a do-over. If the CRW cages aren't enough, I'm getting some bear repelant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Dogs will be dogs, even good dogs. I know I am always surprised when my dog does something he hasn't done in a long time, like chew up something he's ignored for months that I thought he wasn't interested in.

Sorry about your corn, though.

Maybe put hot pepper powder to deter them, too.
Old March 21, 2016   #210
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
This is such a wonderful and interesting pictorial and history of your efforts. I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying it, though sometimes it makes me tired for you. It appears to be a great success.,except the corn, of course. It will be interesting to watch how it goes with your indeterminates in your long growing season. For my part, I am sticking with the ever increasing selection of dwarfs and compact indeterminates with a smattering of determinates. Thanks so much for the tour and keep on trucking.
I'll keep it coming. And don't worry, it's the good type of tired. The sleep well kind.

I can't wait to see your dwarf alley. And very much in the same camp with compact plants. This year I just want to see how many fruits I can get from the big boys, since last year I lost quite a few to inconsistent watering. Hopefully that won't occur this season/year.

Last edited by Gerardo; March 21, 2016 at 03:48 PM.