Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 30, 2013   #196
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Velvet queen
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372626532.199976.jpg

My first eggplant of the season
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372626582.716493.jpg

Today's black from Tula and black Krim
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372626597.750957.jpg

Using a strawberry propagation method I learned from a member on here. His UN escapes me
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372626691.883643.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372626645.599384.jpg (167.7 KB, 17 views)
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #197
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Is Velvet queen a sunflower?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #198
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Lyn, we just came back from a vacation (one week, too short) in San Diego. What a weird change of the temperature/cloud coverage within one city. By the ocean in the morning was mostly cloudy and cooler, 3 miles into the land sunny and hot. We stayed at La Jolla. Beautiful. Went few times to see seals by Casa beach. It is disturbing that even though there are signs to keep away from the animals, people completely disregard them.
Efisakov, La Jolla is lovely, isn't it? We live farther inland on the borderline between the cloudy cooler beach areas and the sunny, hot inland area. Usually the clouds burn off by 9 or 10 am for us, but during May and June they sometimes don't burn off all day. Warm summer weather has just started for us this weekend.

It's a shame about the seals -- the seals were here long before there were people here, but people just ignore the warning signs and try to bother them. There have been court battles to try to remove them so that the beach can be "cleaned up" and people can use it to swim. Poor seals! At one point the politicians wanted to blow loud horns at them every day to scare them away. But the local residents complained that the horns would also bother the human residents, so they gave up on that idea. I think they should leave the seals alone!

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2013   #199
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Cran,

Nice harvest!!!

Lyn
Old June 30, 2013   #200
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDx4 View Post
Efisakov, La Jolla is lovely, isn't it? We live farther inland on the borderline between the cloudy cooler beach areas and the sunny, hot inland area. Usually the clouds burn off by 9 or 10 am for us, but during May and June they sometimes don't burn off all day. Warm summer weather has just started for us this weekend.

It's a shame about the seals -- the seals were here long before there were people here, but people just ignore the warning signs and try to bother them. There have been court battles to try to remove them so that the beach can be "cleaned up" and people can use it to swim. Poor seals! At one point the politicians wanted to blow loud horns at them every day to scare them away. But the local residents complained that the horns would also bother the human residents, so they gave up on that idea. I think they should leave the seals alone!

Lyn
Lyn. I am so happy to hear that many locals are agree with seals preservations

Old June 30, 2013   #201
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

There's plenty of beach up and down the coast for humans-can't they spare one small area for the rightful owners???
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2013   #202
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hello, Crandrew.
Which cucumbers did you plant?
My eggplants are Kamo (2) and Rosa Bianca (2). Kamo had set fruits, Rosa did not. I am growing them in a 5 gal. pots. From the leafs of your eggplants I can say they are black/purple. This is my first year growing eggplants. I was quiet surprise to find spikes on the leafs. Does your eggplant has spikes as well? What temperature is where you are? I thought you are in a warmer part of CA.
Crandrew, thanks to you, I am growing 3 types of lettuce. Earlier in a season you were so happy to pick your lettuce, the pictures were great. Thanks for the inspiration.
Yes I'm growing some purple/red and white eggplant. I list the names earlier in the thread but I'm growing 3 varieties. Yes two of the plants have spiky leaves, TAKE THAT RACOONS!
Yes love the fresh lettuce. I eat a salad everyday and I haven't bought lettuce since March I just planted some new rolls this weekend.
My climate is equivalent to the coastal weather you experienced in la jolla but a bit cooler. Except for this last weekend. 90 with 90% humidity was gross. June is normally around mid 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
As you all seem to like peas, I thought you might be interested in the English planting method. Concrete reinforcing wire as supports.
Four rows, spaced 2 weeks apart for convenience of picking, my DW will pick buckets full off each row.
That's 8 ozs of dried peas per row, soaked overnight in a bowl, sowed in a spade width trench 1/2 inch deep. Will germinate and show after 7 days in the ground.
Sweet and tasty.
Yeah I loved the peas. The CRW seems pertty low, mine wanted to top out at 7-8 feet so those must be a short vine variety. Thanks for the info. I'll be growing more in the fall.

Quote:
Is Velvet queen a sunflower?
Yes it is, I've never grown sunflowers before and I love em. THose are only about 4.5ft tall, but I have some greystripe and Velvets that just hit 6ft yesterday and are still going

Quote:

Lyn
So here is my fun story for the day.

The area I live in is Newport Bay/harbor and its known as a summer hang out for the area seals. The issue is that its also a very prominent docking station for local residents water craft. I'm talking hundreds of sail boats, yachts, kayaks, rowboats, fishing boats etc. Well during the summer the seals like to come in and get busy on the sail boats that are docked out in the bay. They hop up on the boats and after playing sexy time they will sun bathe while sleeping on the boats. Occasionally they cause the boats to sink, since so many of them will climb aboard Some of the local residents were getting obviously pretty angered over it and attempted to have them relocated. Well thankfully the move was not approved but it doesn't stop them from trying each year.

Quote:
Cran,

Nice harvest!!!

Lyn
Thanks Lyn. I made some bruschetta yesterday and it was YUM!

Last edited by Crandrew; July 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old July 1, 2013   #203
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
So here is my fun story for the day.

The area I live in is Newport Bay/harbor and its known as a summer hang out for the area seals. The issue is that its also a very prominent docking station for local residents water craft. I'm talking hundreds of sail boats, yachts, kayaks, rowboats, fishing boats etc. Well during the summer the seals like to come in and get busy on the sail boats that are docked out in the bay. They hop up on the boats and after playing sexy time they will sun bathe while sleeping on the boats. Occasionally they cause the boats to sink, since so many of them will climb aboard Some of the local residents were getting obviously pretty angered over it and attempted to have them relocated. Well thankfully the move was not approved but it doesn't stop them from trying each year.
I love this story!!

I can imagine a boy seal swimming up to a girl seal and saying "you wanna check out my yacht?" and then climbing aboard a fancy yacht for some romance .
Hey, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do to impress the ladies, right??
Old July 1, 2013   #204
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I love this story!!

I can imagine a boy seal swimming up to a girl seal and saying "you wanna check out my yacht?" and then climbing aboard a fancy yacht for some romance .
Hey, a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do to impress the ladies, right??
Shoot! I would try it to if I was a protected species.
Old July 2, 2013   #205
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

We went fishing in San Diego. My husband caught 24 pounds 40 inches lingcod.
Crandrew, that was funny story about seals and boating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GetAttachment.jpg (9.4 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by efisakov; July 2, 2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old July 2, 2013   #206
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Hey, nice catch. I dont do much fishing, but I love it.
Old July 5, 2013   #207
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Here is my 4th of July harvest.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373036969.552190.jpg
Not a bad harvest for 4 plants, especially since they are sick and going to have to be taken down soon. I can see some disease taking over. Mold and Sep. I should have pruned the lower branches sooner, there was very little airflow and lots of humidity in June.
Old July 5, 2013   #208
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

You have had a good run with your garden this year Cran!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #209
lycomania
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all of the updates. Your harvest looks wonderful!
lycomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #210
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
We went fishing in San Diego. My husband caught 24 pounds 40 inches lingcod.
Crandrew, that was funny story about seals and boating.
Ella, that's quite a fish! Did you take it back home to NJ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Here is my 4th of July harvest.

Attachment 35457
Not a bad harvest for 4 plants, especially since they are sick and going to have to be taken down soon. I can see some disease taking over. Mold and Sep. I should have pruned the lower branches sooner, there was very little airflow and lots of humidity in June.
Cran - that's a great harvest! And so early in the season too.
Enjoy those black tomatoes!

Lyn