Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 12, 2013   #196
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindyb1969 View Post
Greens with sugar? Bleck!!!
You are so right! Last year I made up some greens with a bit of sugar cured ham. It was enough to ruin that batch of collards!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #197
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I thought I was alone in the world. Now I know I'm not the only one who hates sweet greens. you don't know how happy that makes me!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #198
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I don't like that seed catalogs describe sooooo many vegetables as sweet. Ugh.
I don't want sugar, I want CORN ! And green beans ! And lettuces !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2013   #199
tedln

I've used shade cloths on some tomato plants in the past to extend the plants life and protect low hanging tomatoes from the hot sun. I didn't have any fungus problems this year, so my plants have heavy foliage all the way to the soil level so I don't need to protect the tomatoes. If we start getting those 105/110 degree days like we got last year, I will probably protect some plants with shade cloth.

I do have some shade cloth up to protect my bell pepper plants. The heat and the sun don't bother my other pepper plants, but it kills my bell peppers pretty quick.

Ted
Old June 12, 2013   #200
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone tried using a grape-style trellis, maybe a V or open lyre, so that the leaves shade the fruit?

I just came in from outside. Moving seedlings into containers. Don't recommend it with a head cold.

About a million mosquitoes! Saw bats last week.

Wrote a much better post but the power flickered so just imagine this makes sense and is composed of masterfully lyrical prose.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013   #201
Cindyb1969
Tomatovillian™

North of DFW area is having some cooler temps move in with rain. By cooler, I mean under 95. I think I may have bought a few more days.

It may be a coincidence, but I'm seeing a lot less blossom drop with the netting up.

And those adorable Hawaiian currants are going crazy!

Good thing I just double checked my post. Spell-check would not have you thinking prose had I not. You would more likely think I had been smoking my tomatoes rather than eating them. Or maybe sweet vegetables.

I have yet to have any blush. Am I the only one? But I have about 150 green tomatoes. Not bad for me! I hope they all make it. Is there any old wives tales about counting your maters before they blush?
Cindyb1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2013   #202
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I'm thinking of pulling my branydine red PL's soon, I lost 3 new fruit sets to BER and I think the heat is preventing new ones from forming so I wonder if those plants are done. I'm thinking of replacing them with black and brown boar and C tex for the fall crop. My sungolds are happy at least
Old June 15, 2013   #203
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I pulled the hybrid Super Roma and the Homestead yesterday. Turns out my big, healthy looking Cherokee Purple was actually just engulfed by the Super Roma. So I have two CPs to pull tomorrow.

And something put large holes in the two last big CPs yesterday. Weren't even blushing until this morning, either. Such a waste!

Tl
Old June 18, 2013   #204
Cindyb1969
Tomatovillian™

And now I have BER in my Earthbox tomatoes.

Sigh.
Cindyb1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #205
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying to figure out why I got BER with my earthtainer, I'm leaning towards the heat being the cause. I added plenty of dolomite lime to the mix, and I don't think I'm over-fertilizing. Maybe the roots are cooking? I put a makeshift sun shield over the container and added some cal-mag, I hope the rest of the fruits make it without BER.
Old June 18, 2013   #206
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
I'm thinking of pulling my branydine red PL's soon, I lost 3 new fruit sets to BER and I think the heat is preventing new ones from forming so I wonder if those plants are done. I'm thinking of replacing them with black and brown boar and C tex for the fall crop. My sungolds are happy at least
Is your Brandywine an indeterminate? If so, I wouldn't pull it, I would try to get the plant through the heat and you will have a fall crop.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #207
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Does you tainer get sun on it? If so, shade it. Heat on the root zone adds to BER. Also, if you have much of it, look for a calcium product to add to the water reservoir. I've used a product called Cal Mag and it ended the BER quickly. You can get it from your local hydroponic stores.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #208
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Hey gang ...

Here's the deal. It's Texas, and we have a short windo here for tomatoes. Up north you may still have a little time, cool enough at night. If you have BER you will have a decent batch. Then it's over.

I have pulled mine. The last today. It's been 80 at night and super humid, so I am not just going to feed stink bugs.

Summer peas, eggplant, and okra. Then the winter stuff.

See ya next spring tomatoes.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2013   #209
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

You are likely correct.

But me and my enthusiasm (based mostly on inexperience and internet advice) and my tomato seedlings are going to give a fall crop of tomatoes a go.

I have no consequences for failure except more experience.

Tl
Old June 18, 2013   #210
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I have had great luck with Anahu. Have you tried Tropic or Jeff Davis?

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote