Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 24, 2014   #196
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
It appears that there is an unfortunate similarity of names between Urban Farms (maker of Texas Tomato Food) and Urban Farmer Seeds who seem to be reselling Lucky Tiger seeds that have proprietary rights by Johnny's.

I think it would be prudent for Urban Farms to disclaim any affiliation with Urban Farmer Seeds. I hope that the similarity of names between these entities doesn't reflect badly on Urban Farm who makes excellent Texas Tomato Food.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=31008
http://www.ufseeds.com/38f9892bfe726...03153095d.item
http://www.theurbanfarm.com/legrpa.html
You google anything urban farm and you get all sorts of stuff.
I think they are all owned by one person.
He must be a very rich man.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014   #197
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Hi.....when we first trademarked the name The Urban Farm there wasn't much similar out there. The actual parent company is HydroSystems, where our Urban Farms began, and then we created The Urban Farm Fertilizer Co. for our nutrient brand. People always cut us short, referring to us as Urban Farms, which is vague, so we differentiate ourselves by using the abbreviated Urban Farm Fertilizers.

We would have stuck with HydroSystems, but that didn't tell people we were a specialty fertilizer company.

Urbanfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #198
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Is anyone else using Urban Farms' Vegetable Fertilizer on their seedlings? I sowed my seed with a misting of a weak VF solution (1/2 tsp/gallon), and the results have been spectacular. I will continue using the Urban Farm products this year, just to see what happens. The Texas Tomato Food worked wonders for me last year, and I am anxious to see what an entire season of using their products does for my tomatoes (and peppers).
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #199
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

As soon as I run out of everything else I will give it a try.
That might be a while.
I really would like to try it but the stuff I use is good so I'm not going to toss it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #200
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I have been using it on seedlings mixed in each watering, though at a rate of 1/2 TBS per gallon. My seedlings have never looked healthier or grown better. I've also kept a fan blowing on them continuously so they have thick stalks, are tall and have lots of healthy leaves. TTF vegetable fert is officially on my list of things that must be done going forward!

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #201
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I'm doing exactly the same thing that Dewayne mater is doing, including the fan, except I only run my fan a few hours per day, and I am using full strength Texas Tomato Food on my seedlings, and they are thriving.

I also have a Tommy Toe plant I've overwintered inside a growing chamber in a 5 gal SWC fed only Texas Tomato Food. I've harvested 103 ripe tomatoes so far that average .44 oz each with another hundred or so tomatoes in various stages of ripeness still on the plant, and dozens of new flowers .
This year I am growing over 400 plants and I am only going to use TTF for fertilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
I have been using it on seedlings mixed in each watering, though at a rate of 1/2 TBS per gallon. My seedlings have never looked healthier or grown better. I've also kept a fan blowing on them continuously so they have thick stalks, are tall and have lots of healthy leaves. TTF vegetable fert is officially on my list of things that must be done going forward!

Dewayne mater
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #202
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Mea culpa...1/2 TABLESPOON, not teaspoon; per their instructions. Need more coffee.
Old March 8, 2014   #203
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post

Dewayne mater
EVERY watering?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #204
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

It appears that we are going to have a statistically viable number of posters using Urban Farm products to be able to make a fair assessment of just how good their fertilizers are...
Old March 8, 2014   #205
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I fertilize my seedlings once per week. They are now 4 - 6" tall. They were sown on 2/15. I fertilize my Tommy Toe twice per week using a full strength drench, while the actual plant is in a SWC. I think the drench compensates for leaching from the SWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
EVERY watering?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #206
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Scott - yes - every watering for me, which is about 2 times a week. I think that is considered a 1/2 strength use of the TTF veggie fert (a liquid). I am growing in a soiless media that has no included fertilizers. It has been cold this spring and though I have a small heater in the garage near the plants, I suspect the ambient temps have been 45-60 degrees for the most part. Between cool temps, and an always running fan, I have thick stems and good growth that looks very healthy. Planting out in 1 week approximately and they are a good size for planting now, about 9 inches above the top of the solo cup. I expect the 16 ounce solo cups are root bound or nearly so at this point.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #207
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I give mine a weekly dose but they are in egg cartons so they run out of nutrients really quickly especially the ones that are over 6 inches tall. I am just leaving them in the egg carton cells as long as possible since I am grafting most of them. When I graft them I move them up to a styrofoam coffee cup and I am using Optisorb this year in those to see how well it works in the grafting process. I quit using potting soil because of the damping off issues I had with it in the healing chambers.

I will feed them about once a week and sometimes twice a week with Urban Farms Apples and Oranges fertilizer until they are in the garden and reaching the bloom stage then I will change to the Texas Tomato Food and feed them every week.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2014   #208
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I was out of Neptune's fish & Seaweed, and decided to give the Urban Farms stuff a try. Just used the VF for the first time two days ago, so no feedback yet. I also bought some Texas Tomato Food to try in place of the Tomato Tone I typically use.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2014   #209
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

I used TTF last year and had great results. Ordered a gallon today, as well as a 1/2 gallon of Flowers and Blooms.
And planted in sponges for the bio dome today, too.
Old March 16, 2014   #210
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I just received my newest order of 3 gallons of TTF and one gallon of Apples and Oranges. It sounds like a lot but if my plants can avoid TSWV this spring then I will need every drop for hopefully over 60 plants and then a fall planting. I will probably have to order more before the season is over. At least I hope I will.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote