Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 5, 2016   #181
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

MMMM is equal parts Pandora's Box:Festivus/Xmas morning

Last edited by Gerardo; August 5, 2016 at 03:41 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #182
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I only see 5 participants (your T'ville forum name) on the Google doc, so far. (hint, hint)

Link at post #26.

Also, if requesting tomatoes not found in a category, like "Spanish types (any)" on that google doc wish list, you may wish list your own category, basically...

"German types", "disease resistant types", "roasting types", etc...
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #183
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Would super sweet 100s be too common to send in? It is still one of my favorites. Also, wasn't there an age limit of 2-3 years?
Old August 5, 2016   #184
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I only see 5 participants (your T'ville forum name) on the Google doc, so far. (hint, hint)

Link at post #26.

Also, if requesting tomatoes not found in a category, like "Spanish types (any)" on that google doc wish list, you may wish list your own category, basically...

"German types", "disease resistant types", "roasting types", etc...
Just added my name to the list Gary. As for adding what i wish im impartial as long as i dont already have it. I will send you the master list and a mountain of seed as always.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #185
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Some of my seeds that i had planned to send were collected before that 3 years limit... But Azoychka for example (purchased from Tania) has so far had 100% germination - this is the third year in the row we are growing it. I would rather send some properly processed seeds from her than some that I collected and which may contain who knows what fungi, thanks to a very humid summer..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #186
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I have a strange question. I have been working to develop some common interests with my 8 year old who has high functioning autism and adhd. Quiet activities are especially calming for her. She has been my gardening helper this year, and she has been very excited about gardening, but especially tomatoes, their breeding, and tomatoville. I have talked to her about the MMMM over the last month or so, and she really wants to participate. I wanted to make sure and check if that would be ok, since I was planning to participate myself. I can split the seeds I am sending in with her so she can join the categories. If that would be a problem(2 people participating from same household), that is fine, I'll just let her join. I was so tickled to see how excited she was!
Old August 5, 2016   #187
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
If, IF, it goes like past swaps, you'd likely get back 10 different cherry varieties, 20 different beefsteaks, and 10 different Italian varieties, a total of 40 mystery varieties (although you know the categories) for starters.

Any specific varieties you'd like (a wish list)? That would be another 10-15, or maybe more. Any types of tomatoes you wouldn't want? I'd exclude them.

And, depending on the amounts of what comes in, there "might" be bonuses. This has ranged from about 20 to 40 extras beyond the number of packs you sent in. There's no telling at this point how many bonuses, though.

So, a very loose estimation would be anywhere from 40 to ~100 varieties sent back, if you do not request a limit on how much you'd like.

Needing a sponsor may, or may not, depend on if you'd like many varieties from a category that you wouldn't be participating in. And, since you seem to have two beefsteaks, beefsteaks easily fit into many of the categories of color.

In the above, note the regular use of word: if, likely, maybe, depending, and might. It's all a mystery even to the host of this annual surprise party!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #188
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
I have a strange question. I have been working to develop some common interests with my 8 year old who has high functioning autism and adhd. Quiet activities are especially calming for her. She has been my gardening helper this year, and she has been very excited about gardening, but especially tomatoes, their breeding, and tomatoville. I have talked to her about the MMMM over the last month or so, and she really wants to participate. I wanted to make sure and check if that would be ok, since I was planning to participate myself. I can split the seeds I am sending in with her so she can join the categories. If that would be a problem(2 people participating from same household), that is fine, I'll just let her join. I was so tickled to see how excited she was!
I will fully sponsor her and then some. I think it is great that you are helping her through gardening. If for some reason you are not allowed 2 paticipants per household then pm me your address and i will send her more seed than she could ever grow. God Bless you for the work you are doing.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #189
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I will fully sponsor her and then some. I think it is great that you are helping her through gardening. If for some reason you are not allowed 2 paticipants per household then pm me your address and i will send her more seed than she could ever grow. God Bless you for the work you are doing.

Carrie, I will send both of you seeds too.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2016   #190
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
That is so kind of you, thank you. Also, I greatly appreciate the encouragement
Old August 6, 2016   #191
imp
Tomatovillian™

Carrie, maybe next year ( if things are more organized and the creek don't rise, etc., etc., LOL!) you can bring her by the Community Gardens some- we could arrange a time to meet and talk tomatoes or let her see other people's plants, or what ever interests her.

I'll also be happy to share some seeds with her if she would like that.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2016   #192
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

You guys are AWESOME!
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2016   #193
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Carrie, I will send both of you seeds too.

Thank you, that means a lot to me. I know she will be so thrilled!
Old August 6, 2016   #194
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Carrie, maybe next year ( if things are more organized and the creek don't rise, etc., etc., LOL!) you can bring her by the Community Gardens some- we could arrange a time to meet and talk tomatoes or let her see other people's plants, or what ever interests her.

I'll also be happy to share some seeds with her if she would like that.
Oh, Imp that would be fantastic! I have talked with her about the community garden, and she loves to look at plants and flowers. I hope we can work something out next year!
That is such a thoughtful offer, I know you have a lot on your plate right now, it means a lot.
Old August 6, 2016   #195
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
You guys are AWESOME!
Yes, you all are!!