Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2016   #181
Captain Neon
Tomatovillian™

Seeds are bought and arrived in mail yesterday. I guess I'm committed now.
· Celebrity (patio)
· Brandywine Pink
· Ponderosa
· Anna Banana Russian
· Better Boy
· Brandy Boy
· Super Sauce (patio)
· Super Sweet 100 (patio)
· Sweet Seedless
· Hungarian Heart
· Tasti-Lee
· Rosella Purple (patio)
Captain Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #182
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Cherries:
Blush
Purple Bumblebee
Green Tiger
Amethyst Cream
Maglia Rosa
Sinister Minister
Black Cherry
Hahms Gelbe Toptfmate

Dwarfs:
New Big Dwarf
Tasmanian Chocolate
Rosella Purple
Sweet Sue
Sweet Scarlet
Arctic Rose
Wherokowhai
Blazing Beauty
Fred's Tie Dye
Dwarf Purple Heart
Jade Beauty
Pit Viper

Others: ( I *need* to cut 6 or so)
OR 117
Sweet Ozark Orange
Chocolate Stripes
Daniel Burson
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Marianna's Peace
Ananas Noire
JD's Special C-Tex
Druzba
Cosmonaut Volkov
Amazon Chocolate
Costoluto Genovese
Speckled Roman
Indian Stripe
Japanese Black Triefle
Rebel Yell
Eva Purple Ball
Big Cheef
Black Sea Man
Juanne Flamme
Esmerelda Golosina
Bulgarian Triumph
Cherokee Carbon

Cherries and Dwarfs are certain. Definitely going to cut a few of the *others*. Decisions decisions. I am growing some out for my neighbor as well.

The majority of these are from all you kind people here at Tville. I will be saving seeds to pay it forward. Thank you all so very much!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #183
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Cherries:
Blush
Purple Bumblebee
Green Tiger
Amethyst Cream
Maglia Rosa
Sinister Minister
Black Cherry
Hahms Gelbe Toptfmate

Dwarfs:
New Big Dwarf
Tasmanian Chocolate
Rosella Purple
Sweet Sue
Sweet Scarlet
Arctic Rose
Wherokowhai
Blazing Beauty
Fred's Tie Dye
Dwarf Purple Heart
Jade Beauty
Pit Viper

OR 117
Sweet Ozark Orange
Chocolate Stripes
Daniel Burson
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Marianna's Peace
Ananas Noire
JD's Special C-Tex
Druzba
Cosmonaut Volkov
Amazon Chocolate
Costoluto Genovese
Speckled Roman
Indian Stripe
Japanese Black Triefle
Rebel Yell
Eva Purple Ball
Big Cheef
Black Sea Man
Juanne Flamme
Esmerelda Golosina
Bulgarian Triumph
Cherokee Carbon

Cherries and Dwarfs are certain. Definitely going to cut a few of the *others*. Decisions decisions. I am growing some out for my neighbor as well.

The majority of these are from all you kind people here at Tville. I will be saving seeds to pay it forward. Thank you all so very much!
Very good choices. If I may, eliminate the JBTrifele. Other blacKs on your list will blow it out of the water and you'll thinK of it as wasted space. CVolKov and SOO have done great for me. Others will help you whittle it down, my suggestion is ax JBT, mainly because of fruit size.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #184
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Thank you thank you thank you Gerardo!!! JBT is gone. This is what I need. Keep the opinions coming please T'ville!
Old February 9, 2016   #185
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I was just rereading this whole thread, maybe for the 3rd time and see a couple of places where I said I'd be back, but haven't done that yet.

But in reading through I saw several folks listing Neves Azorian Red, but that's not the correct spelling.

Before I put up Tania's link I'll add a bit more/ At the time many of us here now were at the original GW and I wanted to share with others what goes into naming a variety that is received with no name.

I gave all the background info I had. There were 22 folks who posted in that thread and all agreed on Neves Azorean ( correct spelling) Red, and as thanks for participating I sent seeds to all who participated.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...es_Azorean_Red

When Tam got her variety now called George Desikis Italian Red, she asked me if it was OK to name it Gorgeous George, and I said NO, and linked to the wrestler of that name.

I asked her to go back to the family she got the seeds from and slowly the name changed until what you see now.

I just helped several other folks name their varieties, one from Romania, that one ended up being called Arad's Pink Heart and one who got seeds in a trade in Canada from a Portuguese woman, and that's all the info we had. That one ended up being named Cheryl's Portuguese Red Heart/

I really do like to help folks name a new variety based on true background info,not one that has been named for popular appeal, if you will.

And both ofthose will be in my next seed offer but at this point please don't ask me when that will be b/c I just can't find time to record all the new seeds that have been sent to me for growout this summer by my seed producers. and somany that eventually I'm going to have to ask for some new additional volunteers and will do that in the 2 cents forum and describe there what it's all about,nor inventory the ones from the past three years that will also be there, and on and on.

Carolyn, who is also handicapped here at the computer when it gets dark since I can't see the keyboard well and make mistakes, although someone told me that I could get a keyboard that had keys that glowed, but in the meantime there is an overhead fluorescent light above me here but I can't turn it on and off since the switch is over by the closet and I can't get there with my walker. OK, think I've complained enough right now.
Old February 9, 2016   #186
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Freda! Carolyn needs a desk lamp please!
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #187
natural
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Cherries:
Blush
Purple Bumblebee
Green Tiger
Amethyst Cream
Maglia Rosa
Sinister Minister
Black Cherry
Hahms Gelbe Toptfmate

Dwarfs:
New Big Dwarf
Tasmanian Chocolate
Rosella Purple
Sweet Sue
Sweet Scarlet
Arctic Rose
Wherokowhai
Blazing Beauty
Fred's Tie Dye
Dwarf Purple Heart
Jade Beauty
Pit Viper

OR 117
Sweet Ozark Orange
Chocolate Stripes
Daniel Burson
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Marianna's Peace
Ananas Noire
JD's Special C-Tex
Druzba
Cosmonaut Volkov
Amazon Chocolate
Costoluto Genovese
Speckled Roman
Indian Stripe
Japanese Black Triefle
Rebel Yell
Eva Purple Ball
Big Cheef
Black Sea Man
Juanne Flamme
Esmerelda Golosina
Bulgarian Triumph
Cherokee Carbon

This is a great list.

I agree with Gerardo regarding JBT. If you must make additional cuts, I would eliminate these below, based on flavor, compared to the rest.

Black Sea Man
Juanne Flamme

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #188
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bill! This is a great help. JBT, Juanne Flamme and Black Sea Man gone. Need to nix about three more........
Old February 9, 2016   #189
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

As one of those who've been misspelling Azorean consistently, I thank you for the correction Carolyn.

But you better get a better light soon. You don't want to go around spelling Detsikas "Desikis".

Steve

Last edited by sjamesNorway; February 9, 2016 at 03:59 PM.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #190
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Carolyn, who is also handicapped here at the computer when it gets dark since I can't see the keyboard well and make mistakes, although someone told me that I could get a keyboard that had keys that glowed, but in the meantime there is an overhead fluorescent light above me here but I can't turn it on and off since the switch is over by the closet and I can't get there with my walker. OK, think I've complained enough right now.

Carolyn,

If your overhead light has a cord that's plugged into a socket, you can get a plug-in remote control. They're sold at home-improvement stores, walmart, Amazon, etc. They're often sold in sets with 3 receivers/switches for about $20. Here are some:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/plug%2520...0switch?NCNI-5

If the wiring is in the wall, you can get a remote controlled switch, which mounts over the wall switch, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Zmart-Switch-S...outlet+-dimmer

This shows how it's mounted:

http://viatekcatalogs.com/usa/brochu...t_instruct.pdf

Or you can have the wall switch replaced with a remote controlled switch, but that involves an electrician (or handyman), and more expense.

Steve

Last edited by sjamesNorway; February 10, 2016 at 02:55 AM.
Old February 10, 2016   #191
creister
Tomatovillian™

Aurora de Constanta
Bogdana
Butoroage
Giant of Siebenburgen
Inima Dorinei
Maria Amaziliteis Giant Red
Mere Rosii
Puszta Kolosz
Queen Marbena
Sangeorgiu de Meres
Trandafirie de Calafat
Uriase de Tulcea
Bear Creek
Rebel Yell
Eva Purple Ball
MarNar F5

Not sure on the rest as I haven't decided how many plants I want.

Last edited by creister; February 10, 2016 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #192
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

It is very nice to see that the grow out lists are being decided.
They are very interesting to me. There are varieties that I have never heard before and I have no idea how they are. And there are varieties that I am familiar with but I have not grown them myself. There are some with Russian sounding names that I cannot even pronounce. And I refuse to grow tomatoes as long as I cannot pronounce
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #193
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by creister View Post
Aurora de Constanta
Bogdana
Butoroage
Giant of Siebenburgen
Inima Dorinei
Maria Amaziliteis Giant Red
Mere Rosii
Puszta Kolosz
Queen Marbena
Sangeorgiu de Meres
Trandafirie de Calafat
Uriase de Tulcea
Bear Creek
Rebel Yell
Eva Purple Ball
MarNar F5

Not sure on the rest as I haven't decided how many plants I want.
Wow! I've been surfing the web for 3 years, looking for tomato varieties, and I've only heard of the last 4 on your list. Many of the names look romanian. Tatiana has a couple, but I'm wondering how you found and chose the rest?

Steve
Old February 10, 2016   #194
creister
Tomatovillian™

Steve,

I received the Romanian varieties in a trade with a very generous Romanian T'viller. I am hoping to get seeds from each this year to offer for next year.

Curt
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #195
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
OK JLJ,I'll post no more,maybe,about this issue.

Carolyn
AWWWK!! Don't do that, we don't want someone as valuable as you to explode!

But even the 'hearty' Indian Stripe Heart?s we've seen are such blunt hearts that I do think it's important to compare them to other Indian Stripes grown under the same conditions. The pic Marina posted of her 2013 Indian Stripe plant

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....&postcount=111

does make me wish it would work out that we could get some of her seed, without creating any customs complications for anyone -- as that limited view does look as if they were trying to be at least blunt hearts, even in their early stages -- and it was early in her production season -- so that line might be more worth pursuing than the line we're working with now -- but no way to really tell without comparing it to the heartiest plants of this line and comparing both to their other Indian Stripe cousins to see if one/some plants are really consistently 'heartier'.

One would think there would be other Indian Stripe Heart?s around, as 'bluelytes' distributed seed to several people, I think, about 2010. I have a copy of a pic of the seed that was posted in one of those forums we don't link to here that was referenced in the thread as showing that Indian Stripe Heart had a lot of tiny seed -- but based on what I've seen here and there of people's experience with it, I wonder if it wasn't just mostly undeveloped seed. The sender of 'bluelytes' seed posted elsewhere that seed he'd received back from her did not germinate at all. There were a few good looking seeds in that pic, though, so one would think a few folks would have gotten them to grow.

And perhaps part of the reason I keep insisting that what we're seeing thus far -- perhaps even Marina's plant's production -- is Indian Stripe Heart? , not Indian Stripe Heart -- is that from the same location I saved a pic just for my own guidance of one of the fruits 'bluelytes' got from 'Papa Vic's seed -- and it didn't take any special study at all to see that it was a heart -- clearly hearty -- looked like a valentine or 'strawberry' type heart.

No knowing to what extent that was typical of the plant's production, and I recall seeing a heart just like it at least once on an Indian Stripe PL plant -- but that, surely, is what Indian Stripe Heart without the ? should look like. Or at least an Indian Stripe Heart plant should produce *some* fruit like that -- very pronounced hearts -- and all or nearly all fruit that was clearly hearts -- even if there was some variation in degree of fruit heartiness.

Can't post a link to there and wouldn't post a copy of someone else's pic in any circumstances but it does seem clear that Indian Stripe Hearts should properly look like valentine hearts, not almost indistinguishable from regular Indian Stripe fruit with a slightly altered lower contour. If you cast your mind back to 2010, you've seen that pic, as you were in the discussion. You asked how typical the pictured fruit was of the plant's total production, too, but didn't get an answer -- at least not there or in any other thread I've seen.

'bluelytes' *has* posted here from time to time, most recently in 2013 . . . but not about Indian Stripe Heart, as far as I've seen. Possibly you could get her to post that Indian Stripe Heart image from 2010 for everyone's enlightenment -- or inspiration -- together with any comments on how typical the shape was and whether she knows if anyone is growing plants descended from seed of that pictured fruit?

If anyone is getting fruit like that -- that's the line that should be grown and distributed -- if not, it shows what's possible with some more work -- but also suggests that Indian Stripe Heart? probably isn't Indian Stripe Heart as yet.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote