Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 1, 2014   #181
Churnoble
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to join. Didn't have as good of a tomato this year as I hoped. But I will have some to share.

Thanks for hosting,

Matt
Churnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2014   #182
Peggo
Tomatovillian™

Default Shish-ito pepper

Ginny:

I tried to find some information about the pepper and this is what was said in some of the sites.

"For Shish-ito peppers, let the frost pass and then cultivate the seeds else it won’t germinate, it is harvested in its green form before it becomes ripe". So maybe you have let some go red first to collect the seed.

From Amazon, offered by Kitazawa Seeds - it says "Shish-ito Seed- Heirloom Japanese Sweet Pepper", so I guessing it is Heirloom, from other places it mentioned that the Japanese may have originally got the seeds from Portugal.

Peggo
Peggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2014   #183
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Peggo,

Ok, so my home grown seeds won't work (I wasn't thinking about that when I pulled my pepper plants last week). But I have Shi-shi-to pepper seeds from the packet I purchased from Kitazawa that I can share and will be happy to send you some.

Just PM me your address.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2014   #184
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I would like to participate because I have some fun varieties to share. But when I try to find the rules I get overwhelmed by all the pages of posts. Can someone post a link to the rules?

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2014   #185
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Ginny,

Rule 1 - As the host, the first rule is that there are no rules.

Rule 2 - The first objective of the swap is to try to find the #1 tomato variety that you would be looking for. If you are not looking for one specific variety, disregard Rule 2.

Rule 3 - If you are looking for more than one variety, PM me a list of up to 15 tomato varieties, and 3 pepper varieties. Number the tomato varieties 1- 15 if you wish, so I'll know which ones you want more than the others.

I will post shipping instructions (for all), next.

And, hopefully I can go over the (optional to participate) "categories" on Friday.

Remember to start reading this thread at post #185 so we all don't get lost.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2014   #186
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to post some hot pepper varieties, that may be coming in (~10 packs of each) to see if they would be wanted by participants. If I get a strong response to any, there might be more than 10 packs of some sent in.

They are...

Carolina Reaper
Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Black Cobra
Chili de Arbol
Orange Habenero
Chocolate Habenero
Black Mayan

I don't know peppers, so forgive my spelling if needed.
Old October 2, 2014   #187
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'd be interested in the two Habeneros.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2014   #188
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

I'd be interested in Carolina Reaper...I'll document that when I send in a physical copy of my previously-submitted want list...
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2014   #189
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Shipping instructions...

Deadline for sending to me is November 10th.

BUBBLE MAILERS - only, which will be recycled back to you (with the exception of a few people who are likely sending in a bubble mailer, but are only requesting a few varieties back).

If you are attaching a label to the bubble mailer, make sure it will stay on. Perhaps put the label on a week or more before mailing, to see if it starts peeling off.

RETURN POSTAGE - About 2.32 in cash or stamps only, for domestic delivery. If you put this in your bubble mailer first, you won't forget it, later.
For foreign packages, "global"? Forever stamps (1.15 each in US dollars) might be the easiest way, unless you have access to US currency. I've yet to research return postage costs, but if any of you have for your package, rounding off plus or minus to the closest dollar, or Forever stamp, is fine.

WISH LIST/SENDING IN LIST - Your LEGIBLE return mailing address (because addresses on packages can get smudged), email and/or Tomatoville user name (so I can contact you if needed).

Your wish list... hopefully in alphabetical order, each variety numbered (1 as most desired, 2 next most desired, etc...) if any are more desired than others, printed or hand written hopefully in a vertical column. In addition you may list types of tomatoes you'd like (from the categories in the other part of the swap), and types of tomatoes you do not want (if so).

Your sending in list... if participating in the categories, write the category you'd like each 10 pack of a variety to go into. There's no need for alphabetizing any of the sending in list.

SEED PACKETS - 5-10 seeds in each packet, variety name and year of harvest/ purchase on each packet. If it's an F1 hybrid, please write that down, too. Any more info is up to you.

Just sending well sealed seed envelopes loose inside the bubble mailer is probably best. No need to put rubber bands around each 10 pack of a variety, or 10 packs inside another larger zip baggie.

Please, NO staples, paper clips, taped packs to card stock, etc...

By the time it gets to me all that order inside has turned to chaos.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything, but probably have.

Gary
Old October 4, 2014   #190
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default What is Eastern European?

Gary, I am confused about the category "Eastern European". Could you tell us what regions or countries are considered to fit/not fit that category for the purpose of the swap?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2014   #191
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Gary, I am confused about the category "Eastern European". Could you tell us what regions or countries are considered to fit/not fit that category for the purpose of the swap?
No.

It's the participants swap, so they decide. Generally, any country east of Germany, Austria, and Italy if you want specifics. And while several varieties in last years Eastern European category where from Asia (China/Japan), I let it go. When sending packages back, they received more than 10 varieties of EE types, so the Asian tomatoes where more like bonuses. There is a whole lot of juggling of categories going on.
Old October 4, 2014   #192
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It's time for a lurker/non-poster contest again.

The first one to post here, or email me, who has never made a post at Tomatoville, gets into the swap, no seed donations needed to be sent in by you. I also realize there are people who can read this thread, but cannot post, because they are not yet full members. You also are included in the contest. And, if any readers want to join (with the sending in of seeds), you can also email me...

dwcmuseum (at) yahoo.com

I'll be off-line until Monday.

Gary
Old October 4, 2014   #193
bower
Tomatovillian™

WOnderful. Elastic geography does settle any confusion..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
No.

It's the participants swap, so they decide. Generally, any country east of Germany, Austria, and Italy if you want specifics. And while several varieties in last years Eastern European category where from Asia (China/Japan), I let it go. When sending packages back, they received more than 10 varieties of EE types, so the Asian tomatoes where more like bonuses. There is a whole lot of juggling of categories going on.
Old October 4, 2014   #194
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Europe was divided into East and West by the political system, not to the cardinal points (up to 1989) .A this is still surviving.
Vladimír:
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2014   #195
bower
Tomatovillian™

" Europe was divided into East and West by the political system, not to the cardinal points (up to 1989) .A this is still surviving.
Vladimír:

"

Political boundaries are always a tangly mess... but of course, they mean nothing to tomatoes! The tomatoes really know if they are suited to one geography or another. And if I can squeeze Mormansk into "Eastern Europe" for a trade, well that's okay too.

By the way, I greatly admire the Czech varieties of tomato I've been able to grow until now. They really don't mind being in the North Atlantic! and deliver the food even in the worst season. Those are the common concerns that people have, which can't be crossed by political lines on a map. I enjoyed every detail of your thread about growing Czech varieties this year, and I'm really looking forward to try some others besides Stupice and Moravsky Div..., which exist because of the excellence of the culture of tomato breeding in your fine country! I hope everything else in the country is good for you too, and if not, then a chance to make it better.