Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old October 29, 2013   #181
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

oh to have fresh maters and sweet million, I so want some home grown maters. Could I come stay with ya for a week and work for maters...LOL

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2013   #182
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

LOL...I have a million chores.
one for each mater

Carolyn
CarolynPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2013   #183
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

What an amazing sight, Carolyn. Can I ask how far apart the 4-gallon pots are spaced?
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2013   #184
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

The pots are spaced 6 to 8 inches apart. It really depends on how many vines I grow per pot. I try to make sure each vine has 8 to 12 inches of growing space for air circulation. I space them further apart if I have extra space.

Carolyn
Old December 16, 2013   #185
pathfinder001
Tomatovillian™

Default Switching to organic growing?

Hi Carolyn,
Have you ever had your soil mixture tested for Ph, NKP etc... I'm new here and think I remember that you use half peat and half compost. I just started gardening again and have put in raised beds with the same mixture as used in Square Foot Gardening. Equal parts of peat, vermiculite and compost. Only have four 6' X 3' beds so I'll be able to spend alot of time caring for tomatoes. After looking at all your pictures I'm green with envy.
When you switch to organic growing I'd really be interested in your methods since you obviously have a very green thumb and I'll need all the help I can get. How you manage to do what you do and still find time to report on your hobby escapes me, but I'm glad you do! I hope you 'll continue to be able to keep us informed on how you approach organic growing.
pathfinder001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2013   #186
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

pathfinder = I have never sent my soil in for testing cause that would be a lot of testing but I do have a home pH tester and some kits to help me keep the pH close to what it should be.
I will come back soon and post my plans for organic on a small scale and plans for partial organic.

Carolyn
Old December 17, 2013   #187
pathfinder001
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn = I was wondering if you have a target Ph that you go after in your present set up? I think you're taking the right approach going "small scale organic" in light of your success in the past. It will sure provide a great test . Good luck!
Old December 17, 2013   #188
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

pathfinder, I like to reach 6.5 to 7 pH. The nitrate in the calcium nitrate helps me keep it around those numbers if used on a regular basis but I am trying to get away from the calcium nitrate by using homemade compost with rabbit manure, chicken manure, dolomite lime, seaweed, fish emulsion and homegrown Worm casting tea.

I love SFG. I have several raised beds and grow by the square foot. Mels mix is great but the secret is in the compost and I don't use Mels Mix anymore.

to give yall something to look at while i come up with an organic plan, I put together a youtube slide show of the tomatoes I grew in 2009 in 5 gallon poly grow bags using the fertilizer I have mentioned here before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwv9-7go_yg

Carolyn
Old December 17, 2013   #189
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

I also grew a giant cantaloupe that weighed 45 lbs. It was grown on 90 % organic soil amendments of bone meal and gympsom, dolomite lime and a bucket of rabbit manure. 10% was a beginning application of the mittleider mix with micro nutrients but that was only one time. I foliar fed it with fish and seaweed. It's also listed on my youtube channel. Point is, If I could grow a melon that big with mostly organic, how many and how big of a tomato can I grow organically?

Carolyn

Last edited by CarolynPhillips; December 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old December 17, 2013   #190
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

Organic list= I know I will be using fish emulsion powder and seaweed powder. Powder because It's cheaper in bulk and lower shipping than the liquid.
I know I will be using worm casting tea because I have been raising the worms.
Rabbit manure cause I raise rabbits and Chicken manure cause I raise those too.
Some folks don't like bone meal but I love it.!!! Grew some giant carrots with that stuff.
I know I will be using rock dust/phosphate but I need to find a supplier.

Carolyn
Old December 18, 2013   #191
pathfinder001
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn = Just finished going thru all the photos on your Facebook site. Looks like you have a great family and I'm even more amazed by what you've accomplished, even with your family's help. I say that because unless you're quintuplets, getting everything done that needs to be done with just one person would be impossible in my mind! Before I saw the pictures I thought you just grew tomatoes. I was blown away by how big and varied your operation is. You grow so much and raise so many animals. You make it look so easy! I know that it isin't.............that's a lot of work. Folks on the forum should visit your Facebook page to see the extent of what you're involved in. At my age, it would wear me out in a couple hours (Hence my four small raised beds). Needless to say, I'll be checking on you on a regular basis. I've already learned a lot from you. Thank you so much.
Old December 18, 2013   #192
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

your welcome pathfinder and thank you. I do all the gardening and the greenhouse plant sales and production but sometimes I have fall "clean up" help. My youngest son has the chore of feeding and watering the rabbits and I take care of all the birds.
I'm kinda hyper and I manage to get it all done.

Carolyn
Old December 23, 2013   #193
CarolynPhillips
Tomatovillian™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PpaYROL4qA
Mittleider Method
organic vs so called "chemical"

Carolyn
Old January 8, 2014   #194
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Hey Carolyn, what kind of twine are you using to train your tomatoes vertically? last year I bought some poly stuff from Home depot and it "cut" into the stalks as they grew. I think I've also read baler twine but that stuff comes in such large quantities when I need just a small amount for my teeny tiny garden. Thanks!
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2014   #195
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Hey Carolyn, what kind of twine are you using to train your tomatoes vertically? last year I bought some poly stuff from Home depot and it "cut" into the stalks as they grew. I think I've also read baler twine but that stuff comes in such large quantities when I need just a small amount for my teeny tiny garden. Thanks!
Hello Carolyn, Luigiwu and everyone" Very interesting forum here: but Organic Only for me.

I used Natural Twine to hold up my 13 feet heirloom plants in 2006. The major problems I truly suffered was when the rain made the natural twine brake down before the end of the growing season. Causing many of my plants to drop from their permanent staking and cross protection covers. In the hard rain that year " Yes OH Yes': over 100 plants had to re- tide-up that day before the rain stopped. I am using a white twine made with synthetic fibers.

Farmer Joyce Beggs
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote