Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 5, 2011   #181
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Summertime Green is now available at Tatiana's TOMATObase seed shop.

I will also have Dwarf Beryl Beauty, Dwarf Mr. Snow, and Dwarf Wild Fred available later in the fall.

Looks like Steve at Heritage Tomato Seed will also have the dwarfs in the 2012 seed catalog. I hope

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; September 6, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2011   #182
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the response Tania. So what would be the best way for me to get a hold of the seeds for the varieties I mentioned. Is it a matter of skipping this season and waiting for Winter 2012? Sounds like you'll have some of them available later in the fall, but likely too late for my winter garden. Do you know where all the folks reporting on this forum obtained their seeds? Just looking for what my options are at this point.

Thanks all!
-naysen

Edit: Please don't ask to buy seeds from members. - M.
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2011   #183
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Naysen, you can order the Summertime Green now. I think I will get Mr. Snow seeds ready in 3-4 weeks.

I believe all the folks who are growing these varieties purchased them from Victory Seeds, Sandhill and Tomato Growers Supply in the spring 2011.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old September 8, 2011   #184
Simone
Tomatovillian™

Oh Tania,
that´s really, really bad for me!
Then I had to order again...

Greetings from Germany where it is incredibly cold: But I hope the last of your Hungarian Giant will blush!

Simone
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2011   #185
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simone View Post
Oh Tania,
that´s really, really bad for me!
Then I had to order again...

Greetings from Germany where it is incredibly cold: But I hope the last of your Hungarian Giant will blush!

Simone
I picked Wild Fred and Mr. Snow yesterday, so it will not be long
I hope you'll harvest your last tomatoes ripe. After the cold summer we got a few extremely hot days... too late!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old November 2, 2011   #186
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf Beryl Beauty

Picked off the last of the unripe fruit and pulled out the plant yesterday (1 Nov 2011). The cardinals have been snacking on some of the fruits for the past few weeks. Not including the cardinal snacks, production has topped 20 pounds. It's quite the workhorse. Never hit the flavor level Craig mentions, so either our preferred taste profile is different than his or his environment produces better flavor in this variety than mine did this year. We liked it in our fresh salsa and used a lot of it that way. Some of the overflow is in the freezer waiting to be made into juice when time allows. I do plan to grow it again next year, perhaps in one of the more challenging garden locations to see how that effects production and flavor. I would recommend giving this variety a try.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2011   #187
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf Mr Snow

I would have to say that this was the big hit flavor-wise of all the dwarves. And some of the fruit was still coming in at 7 to 12 ounces through mid-October. Had some problems with cracking and splitting at the same time most of my other tomatoes were also cracking and splitting. The very flattened shape of the fruit meant that more of the usable flesh was effected, as compared to more globe shaped fruits. The fruits were smoother earlier in the season, more ribbed or lobed later in the season. The largest fruits were about 14 ounces. Late in the season it was still producing, mostly in the cute little 2 to 4 ounce range. One plant produced about 18 lbs and the other 15 lbs. The tops of the plants folded over from the weight of the fruit.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2011   #188
Tania
Tomatovillian™

My Beryl Beauty fruits gained much more flavor towards the end of the season. The fruits got smaller and more flavorful. I love the color of the gel, it is beautiful.

I have to agree with delltraveller on Mr. Snow having the best flavor, that's out of the 4 dwarfs I had: Dwarf Wild Fred, Dwarf Beryl Beauty, Summertime Green, and Dwarf Mr. Snow.

They were all super productive.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old November 3, 2011   #189
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Summertime Green is now available at Tatiana's TOMATObase seed shop.

I will also have Dwarf Beryl Beauty, Dwarf Mr. Snow, and Dwarf Wild Fred available later in the fall.

Looks like Steve at Heritage Tomato Seed will also have the dwarfs in the 2012 seed catalog. I hope
Indeed you have.. and I purchased Mr. Snow and Wild Fred recently from your web site! Sent money Saturday, so hopefully it's in your hands already. I'm really anxious to get my hands on these so I can start some for Spring!
Old November 3, 2011   #190
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtanon View Post
Indeed you have.. and I purchased Mr. Snow and Wild Fred recently from your web site! Sent money Saturday, so hopefully it's in your hands already. I'm really anxious to get my hands on these so I can start some for Spring!
sirtanon,

Thank you!

If you sent it on Saturday, I probably will not see it until the next week. As our postal services are not the fastest in the world, unfortunately

I will let you know when it arrives!

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old December 24, 2011   #191
atinjohn
Tomatovillian™

Interesting! I will be growing four of these varieties in 2012 and plan to report my observations of yield, flavor, days to maturity, disease tolerance, etc. at periodic dates later in the growing season. I will also be growing New Big Dwarf and would be interested in knowing how you would rate this variety on the same scale used in judging the new releases.
atinjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2011   #192
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

New Big Dwarf is really the standard that I was using to assess our new creations - in that the creation of New Big Dwarf gave us the idea for the project and made us realize that it was indeed possible to produce large, tasty tomatoes on Dwarf type plants.

The good news is that we've equaled or exceeded the quality of New Big Dwarf in many of our new varieties in terms of disease tolerance, yield, and/or flavor, and expanded the color range significantly in the process.

Still, it is the feedback of others that is most interesting to us!
Old March 4, 2012   #193
tomatoaddict

I am so excited to be growing a bunch of the available dwarf varieties this year. This is my first year growing any type of dwarf tomato ever. I loved reading other's comments and reports. I appreciate all the work that went into creating these varieties and just want to say thanks!
Old April 13, 2012   #194
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I started 6 seed for Yukon Quest yesterday here in Miami, FL. It's late in the Miami growing season, but this will test the heat resistance of the plant.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2012   #195
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

My first try with the new dwarfs....
4 Rosella Purple
2 Yukon Quest
2 Summertime Green
2 Wild Fred
2 Jade Beauty
2 Emerald Giant
2 Tasmanian Chocolate
2 Sleeping Lady
2 Perth Pride
They all have done well so far... transplanted to the garden 2 weeks ago with nights about 50 degrees and a lot of dry wind every day. The humidity has been running less that 15percent and no rain during that time, so I've been irrigating every other day. A storm is coming in tonight with 1/2in rain forecast and 38degrees for tomorrow night, then back up to 50plus at night and hopefully off and running...