Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 12, 2016   #181
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
Canehdian, I've been wondering about Royal Purple, did you get decent production up there and did it grow true? I've started a few seeds already and I'm looking forward to it.

Dipchip2000, where do you get Carbon Copy?

Al
I should reserve judgement on that, until I try again this year. The production was not stellar, but it was a learning curve year for me on a few levels and mistakes were made.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #182
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, indeed, this thread or web site is not for sane folks .. it's all about enabling

Still haven't found a way to wiggle in more black tomatoes this year...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #183
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Yes, indeed, this thread or web site is not for sane folks .. it's all about enabling

Still haven't found a way to wiggle in more black tomatoes this year...
You could always "borrow" the neighbor's lawn.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #184
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Marsha has talked good about (Noire De Crimee) it on this thread, I have not gotten around to trying it yet though.

On Tatiana's tomatobase site it says that Noire De Crimee is a strain of Black Krim!

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #185
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
...Pretty sure he's Ron of Ron's Carbon Copy. I'm getting my seeds from Marsha though.
Oops!

Al
Old March 12, 2016   #186
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Canehdian, I grow Indian Stripe every year and it is always great. This year I'm going for the PL version just for fun to see. BFT is also a great black tomato in our Canadian climate. I'm probably also going to grow Spudatula, the PL version of BFT. CP was ok for me, as was Black Krim, but nothing that would make me grow them over other black/purple varieties. Margaret Curtain also did quite well for me. I'm really flipping back and forth over Paul Robeson. I was planning on growing Owen's Purple as well. I can't stand it. I have to stay away from TV because I can't narrow down my list!!!!
Good to know thanks. You probably have a slightly longer season and warmer nights than in Calgary (I grow outside). I tried Paul Robeson, it is a beautiful tomato but I found JDs C-Tex tasted way better. Looking forward to Margaret Curtain this year, also trying Violet Noir, Cernomor and a few others. I am also having a terrible time narrowing my list. It may be easier to convince the wife to get a smaller house/bigger yard, (or maybe not). Love the blacks.
Old March 12, 2016   #187
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Canehdian, did you get decent production out of JDs C-tex? I was curious how it did in cooler environments, I know it does great in Texas...

Allen
Old March 12, 2016   #188
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdian View Post
Good to know thanks. You probably have a slightly longer season and warmer nights than in Calgary (I grow outside). I tried Paul Robeson, it is a beautiful tomato but I found JDs C-Tex tasted way better. Looking forward to Margaret Curtain this year, also trying Violet Noir, Cernomor and a few others. I am also having a terrible time narrowing my list. It may be easier to convince the wife to get a smaller house/bigger yard, (or maybe not). Love the blacks.
Or smaller lawn bigger garden. Less to mow, more to grow.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #189
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
Canehdian, did you get decent production out of JDs C-tex? I was curious how it did in cooler environments, I know it does great in Texas...

Allen
I'd say it was middle of the road for production for me, but it grows pretty quick which is what I need.
Old March 12, 2016   #190
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

I might have to try C-tex one day, I didn't think it would do well in cooler zones.

Al
Old March 12, 2016   #191
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Japanese Trifele Black a.k.a. Yaponskiy Tryufel Chyornyi, indeed.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Japanese_Trifele

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 12, 2016 at 03:50 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #192
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
You could always "borrow" the neighbor's lawn.
I wish.. I only have my balcony to reckon with, and I don't think my neighbors would be that tolerant
I am shamelessly exploiting my parents' yard, um, allowing them to enjoy home grown heirloom tomatoes, and have considered extending their territory over to the neighbors... If anyone resists, they'll get bribed with fresh maters.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #193
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

@ Andrey, that JBT is in a pot! It reminds me of Charline's picture of Black Amber (which isn't in a pot)!!

Old March 12, 2016   #194
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Black Sea Man was the biggest disease magnet in my garden ever. Septoria loves it. Early blight adores it. Nematodes consume it. Late Blight devours it.

There are always a few standouts and in black tomatoes, Black Cherry, Black From Tula, Black Krim, J.D.'s Special C-Tex, Perth Pride, and Bear Creek are consistently near the top. If you can find Black From Tula Potato Leaf aka Spudatula it is a tad better than the original.
That's unfortunate about Black Sea Man!

Thanks for the input on BFT PL/Spudatula. JD's C-Tex is being mentioned by several, I'm starting to itch ...

Al
Old March 13, 2016   #195
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

@Al@NC

JBT has got potato leaf and pear shaped fruit.

Black Amber fruit is more beef and ribbed for me according to this photo.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 13, 2016 at 01:38 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote