Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 19, 2015   #181
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Tomatovilians that have Solanum Uparo (see posts 146, 147 etc.) in their gardens have just missed a rare opportunity for export : Some crates of their tomatoes might have been welcome in Nigeria for entries and sauce:

Hotel restaurant in Nigeria shut down for serving human flesh May 17, 2015 http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1227357315122

In case you are not convinced :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_J8_sm_g1g

Better luck next time !
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2015   #182
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
Tomatovilians that have Solanum Uparo (see posts 146, 147 etc.) in their gardens have just missed a rare opportunity for export : Some crates of their tomatoes might have been welcome in Nigeria for entries and sauce:

Hotel restaurant in Nigeria shut down for serving human flesh May 17, 2015 http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1227357315122

In case you are not convinced :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_J8_sm_g1g

Better luck next time !
I watched both links and simply cannot believe what I read.

Carolyn
Old May 19, 2015   #183
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

I've avoided this thread, because A) it's impossible. and B) it's reduced a very nice, older lady to threats of cannibalism .:-) But I'm giving into temptation, and defying the rules, by listing a few I'd grow no matter what. Plus, who wants to grow only ONE tomato? Crazy!

Amazon Chocolate - taste alone.

Copper River - taste, looks, production

Coyote - the best tasting cherry out there. Different, but addictive

Maya and Sions Airdrie Classic - a "new" classic. All the taste of Brandywine, but the earliness and production of Stupice. I remain amazed it's not more widely grown.

Not Purple Strawberry - up there with Amazon in the taste category for me.

There's various newer varieties and unstable crosses I like more than any of the above (Green When Ripe Wildthyme, is the best tasting big tomato I've ever grown for example, but it's not totally stable, and low production for me).

Others that have been mentioned in this thread that I'd second include Marianna's Peace, and JD's Special C-Tex. Both of which I learned about here, in a thread similar to this, many years ago.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2015   #184
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your reply Carolyn. The tomatoes on both my Caspian Pink plants looked a lot like three of the photos on Tatiana's site. I just went out and had a look and found a ripe tomato showing the concentric rings, so I took a photo and then found on my computer a photo that I had taken earlier in the season of a tomato that was near perfect, so I tell a lie. But that one was an exception, hence the photo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8072.JPG (137.9 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7494.JPG (121.8 KB, 399 views)
a sunny day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2015   #185
Kay Everts
Tomatovillian™

Default Another vote for Cosmonaut Volkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Cosmonaut Volkov
Kay Everts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #186
daninpd
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing 39 varieties this year, all are new to me except for Cherokee Green, Cherokee Purple, Kellogg's Breakfast and Pink Berkeley Tie Dye. I guess those are my "must grow" tomatoes. For now.
Old June 15, 2015   #187
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Abe Lincoln.

You need a ton of sun for them. If you have enough sun they will have amazing flavor.

Edit:
WOW. I just read all the responses and no one mentioned Abe Lincoln tomatoes. I've grown Cherokee Purple once and they were good but I prefer Abe Lincoln. The only time I've had bad results in an Abe Lincoln tomato was when I grew them in the shade. If they have enough sun they will produce tomatoes with so much flavor that you might cry when you eat them. I also wouldn't recommend growing them in a pot.

Last edited by HydroExplorer; June 15, 2015 at 01:40 PM.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #188
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroExplorer View Post
Abe Lincoln.

You need a ton of sun for them. If you have enough sun they will have amazing flavor.

Edit:
WOW. I just read all the responses and no one mentioned Abe Lincoln tomatoes. I've grown Cherokee Purple once and they were good but I prefer Abe Lincoln. The only time I've had bad results in an Abe Lincoln tomato was when I grew them in the shade. If they have enough sun they will produce tomatoes with so much flavor that you might cry when you eat them. I also wouldn't recommend growing them in a pot.
Which Abe Lincoln is it?There is an Abe Lincoln and an Abraham Lincoln.Says both have old fashioned flavor but Abe Lincoln is a little larger.The tomato world can be so confusing
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #189
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Which Abe Lincoln is it?There is an Abe Lincoln and an Abraham Lincoln.Says both have old fashioned flavor but Abe Lincoln is a little larger.The tomato world can be so confusing
Wow I didn't realize it was 2 different tomatoes. I don't know lol

All I know is I got into gardening when a coworker brought in some plants and the Abe Lincoln happened to be one of them and the tomatoes off that plant were amazing. They looked awful but they tasted amazing.

Edit:
I did some digging and found this thread about the Abe Lincoln tomato.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10125

I find that interesting because the plant that a coworker gave me grew indeterminate and had fist-sized fruit. The tomatoes had a sweet/acid flavor and the perfume of them was unbelievable. The foliage wasn't bronze.

The Abe Lincoln seeds I bought online didn't produce tomatoes that were as good but I assumed it was because I was getting less sun in that area. Now I'm starting to think I got a cross that wasn't the same as what I grew on the first year. Now I wish I had saved seeds or cloned it.

Last edited by HydroExplorer; June 16, 2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old June 16, 2015   #190
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Based on Holly's tabulation, the followings go into my MUST GROW list

--- INDIAN STRIPE
--- STUMP OF THE WORLD

Cherokee Purple is already my established favorite.

Gardeneer

NOTE:
I couldn't believe to see that BIG BEEF got so low score. I picked it this season based on numerous better than positive reviews ( production and taste wise). Those who have grown BIG Beef will be never without it.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #191
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

--- INDIAN STRIPE
--- STUMP OF THE WORLD

Gardeneer

NOTE:
I couldn't believe to see that BIG BEEF got so low score. I picked it this season based on numerous better than positive reviews ( production and taste wise). Those who have grown BIG Beef will be never without it.
I just looked those both up. I think I'll grow those next year too. They sound good.
Old June 17, 2015   #192
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

My one must grow each year is Cherokee Purple. But always strive to try all the different varieties I can get my hands on and what I have room for. Only my wife & I and this year we have 63 total plants & 23 varieties. Gonna have a lot to give away if they all turn out.
Looking good so far.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #193
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

--- INDIAN STRIPE
--- STUMP OF THE WORLD

Gardeneer

NOTE:
I am growing big beef this year for the first time. Im not terribly impressed with the flavor, and the fruit doesnt seem to tolerate the heat too well, it starts to rot quicky as soon as it blushes color. Though it is very productive, Ive had to cull alot of fruit. Since it comes so highly recommended, I will certainly give it another chance.

I used big beef as rootstock for some various heirlooms this year. I guess it worked out well.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #194
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroExplorer View Post
Wow I didn't realize it was 2 different tomatoes. I don't know lol

All I know is I got into gardening when a coworker brought in some plants and the Abe Lincoln happened to be one of them and the tomatoes off that plant were amazing. They looked awful but they tasted amazing.

Edit:
I did some digging and found this thread about the Abe Lincoln tomato.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=10125

I find that interesting because the plant that a coworker gave me grew indeterminate and had fist-sized fruit. The tomatoes had a sweet/acid flavor and the perfume of them was unbelievable. The foliage wasn't bronze.

The Abe Lincoln seeds I bought online didn't produce tomatoes that were as good but I assumed it was because I was getting less sun in that area. Now I'm starting to think I got a cross that wasn't the same as what I grew on the first year. Now I wish I had saved seeds or cloned it.

Gosh,I'm sorry you lost such a great tomato.Maybe you can ask your co-worker where they got the plant and find it again.Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2015   #195
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Gosh,I'm sorry you lost such a great tomato.Maybe you can ask your co-worker where they got the plant and find it again.Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read.
He got carpel tunnel and took an early retirement. Now his pain is so bad that he can't even garden. That's a hard pill to swallow.