Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2017   #181
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Anybody is growing Tobacco ?

I am a tobacco smoker ( pipe nowadays ) and on occasions I have smoked MJ. Never felt the thrill.
I don't get any thrill out of tobacco either but as an addict ( just to nicotine )it relaxes me .

Thanks to PMC, I managed to get just 4 seedlings going.
So hopefully, one day I will smoke my own home grown tobacco.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #182
bower
Tomatovillian™

In Canada afaik the black market for medical pot was about quality issues more so than price. The government gave licenses to their choice of growers. Anyone with a criminal record was automatically excluded from that possibility under the law.
While I totally agree about "keeping the profits out of the hands of criminals" it is the scary, violent cartels and gangs involved in a host of other crimes that I want to see excluded.
Afaik from reading about it, the pot industry that developed in BC was focused on pot alone, and broke only the marijuana law which IMO shouldn't have been there all these years. Yes, some of the pot trafficking is still in the hands of nastier organized crime and should be stopped. But I think there are people in BC who not only developed great skills in growing, they also got involved in breeding new strains, supplied dispensaries and compassion clubs, and made a whole range of products available to the consumer thereby really furthering the possibility of medical applications which are tailored to the user.
The "newbies" selected as producers by the government completely failed to deliver that standard of medical pot.
As we approach legalization, the people who had the skills to rise to the top in a free market (albeit illegal) economy by supplying high quality and variety of products may stand to be excluded from the new legal industry, if a similar clause is used to exclude 'anyone with a criminal record'.
And by giving the police an extra year to lay charges on whomever they decide to - not everyone will be busted that's for sure - they may be allowing corruption to creep in and dictate, which of the talented, experienced people will be excluded from a legal industry.
As a (prospective) consumer, I want to see a free market industry, which doesn't exclude growers and breeders whose skill has already been demonstrated.
As long as they are willing to go legal, pay taxes etc and observe the new regulations, I see no reason to exclude people on the basis of 'criminal record' if their only crime was pot. The rules aren't out yet, we'll see then if it follows the previous model.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #183
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Anybody is growing Tobacco ?

I am a tobacco smoker ( pipe nowadays ) and on occasions I have smoked MJ. Never felt the thrill.
I don't get any thrill out of tobacco either but as an addict ( just to nicotine )it relaxes me .

Thanks to PMC, I managed to get just 4 seedlings going.
So hopefully, one day I will smoke my own home grown tobacco.
Sorry to hear you only got 4 going. If I recall when I germinated seeds I just sprinkled the seed on top of grow mix and didn't cover it. I had a good germination rate, but then again the seeds are a couple years older. I was going to plant some this year but haven't got around to it yet. Keep us posted on how your 4 plants do.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #184
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I don't grow any now, but I made a living growing tobacco in the past. A lot of farms were paid for with it back in the 70's.
Here's a cutting contest in Garrard County. That field of Burley is probably worth 60-70 thousand dollars.
https://youtu.be/uGxJvy1KpH0
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #185
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I haven't read this thread from the beginning so I'm not sure what has been said, but I'm still not convinced long term use of marijuana is good for you.Putting smoke in your lungs I know is bad. It alters your brain in some way so that may not be a good long term thing either.

But in medical terms if it helps go for it.People die from prescription drug overdoses every day and I've never heard of someone dying because of overdosing on marijuana.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #186
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
I don't grow any now, but I made a living growing tobacco in the past. A lot of farms were paid for with it back in the 70's.
Here's a cutting contest in Garrard County. That field of Burley is probably worth 60-70 thousand dollars.
https://youtu.be/uGxJvy1KpH0
I can relate. My brother & I at one time raised over 60,000 pounds. Lots of work to do that year and that's before the days of large scale migrant workers helping.

Last edited by wildcat62; March 28, 2017 at 04:52 PM.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #187
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

the problem with the whole war on drugs mindset is this, people are always going to be able to get drugs into the country. lets take Mexico, for decades mexicans were happy smuggling bales of low grade marijuana into the country and turning a hefty profit while causing little damage to US citizens other than a few stoners waiting for stop sighs to turn green before hitting the gas... now the US legalizes weed in many states that is 100 times more potent, organic, medicinal etc. So... mexico is left with a vacuum when it comes to this "cash crop" now granted mexico also exported cocaine (but didnt manufacture it) and previously "low grade Heroin" well you cut the cash crop from them and bam, we now have a Heroin epidemic worse then we have seen, more weed farmers are growing poppies and you cannot even distinguish Mexican Heroin from Middle eastern Heroin anymore as they are now both super potent. It is also much easier to smuggle a LB of heroin with 100k vs 100lbs of low grade weed with 1/10th that
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #188
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
I can relate. My brother & I at one time raised over 60,000 pounds. Lots of work to do that year and that's before the days of large scale migrant workers helping.
If a person saw the name of this thread and clicked on it and saw your post what do you think they would think without looking it the quote?

Just saying.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #189
kurt
Tomatovillian™

We just got the nod for Medical Marijuana.Whoopsie doo.They(?)not the fed sanctioned 6 "growers" to do the low Cbd "AKA Charlottes. Web"Plenty of stipulations I.e. couple hundred large for license,bond,scrutiny,vetting,all the while the fed is listening,and as the big bad wolf does,can and will take it all down in one fine morning.Try getting a bank account to put it in,not.So you have to use a private security force to move/stash/(maybe everyday) to circumvent the "jackers" from taking it all away in one fine night.So you pay your state tax,security etc. all on a internet recording device,here comes the fedmobiles(the black suburbans and cute little blue lights ) now you need a bail bondsman ,attorney,self defense classes for sodomite row in Club Fed.I will pass,I will keep doing what I do,I.e.bitcoin,original breeds(reuderalis Indicas,that P Red,Columbian Gold,A Gold ,my favorite DURBAN POISON).Cloning and selling plug and play plants are the new curve.Crossing,breeding makes you invent those silly names.Almost like the mater industry.Now change your seed variety when the time comes,everyone has the know how,the infrastructure.You will be looking over your shoulder all the time anyway.And there it is in my OPINION.
Old March 28, 2017   #190
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I haven't read this thread from the beginning so I'm not sure what has been said,
Oh, you should. There's some pretty funny bits in here.

Also some confessions.

What's the statute of limitations?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #191
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If a person saw the name of this thread and clicked on it and saw your post what do you think they would think without looking it the quote?

Just saying.

Worth
ROFL Good one Worth, but wrong crop.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #192
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
ROFL Good one Worth, but wrong crop.
there are 2 types of marijuana growers... the ones who use forklifts and the ones who don't
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #193
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
That's a lot of hours in the stripping room!
Old March 28, 2017   #194
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
That's a lot of hours in the stripping room!
Okay now that made it even worse.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2017   #195
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Okay now that made it even worse.
It is our state's #1 cash crop, tobacco is #2.
http://norml.org/legal/item/kentucky-top-10-cash-crops