Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 7, 2016   #1921
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I had no idea this was going on I haven't seen the news in a few days.
Worth
I thought you checked up on us more often than that.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2016   #1922
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
I thought you checked up on us more often than that.
Larry
I do but where in the devil did this storm come from?
To be honest I stopped watching the news due to the multiple clown shows going on.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2016   #1923
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I do but where in the devil did this storm come from?
To be honest I stopped watching the news due to the multiple clown shows going on.
Worth
I assume it was a tropical disturbance that originally became a tropical storm that went West through the Lower Antilles, continued East above Venezuela, it continued to get stronger, changed to a South West direction and did damage in Columbia as a Category 3 hurricane, before turning North it turned into a strong Category 4 hurricane, Traveled close enough to Jamaica to do damage, then it slammed into the Western tip of Hatti doing significant damage, with additional damage in the Dominican Republic, continued north doing serious damage as it crossed over the Eastern end of Cuba. The mountains in Cuba slowed it down a bit and it emerged again as a category 3 as it headed for the Bahamas, by the time it got to Freeport it appears it was again a Cat 4 hurricane, then it headed for the Coast of Florida as a category 4 storm, setting off alarm bells all over the place. It appeared for a while that it might move ashore somewhere close to Melbourne but by the grace of God it didn't and it also weakened back to a Cat 3 hurricane. I'm sure it did quite a bit of damage but no where near as much as many, including myself, feared. Now it appears to be off the Coast of very Southern Georgia. It is now down to a Cat 1 hurricane but it could certainly change again. What is in store for South and North Carolina I know not, but it looks like the silly thing may do a big loop and maybe come ashore again in South Florida or maybe go through the Florida straights (look out Florida Keys and Cuba) and may enter the Gulf. Who knows, certainly not me. I just wish it would die.

Last edited by Zone9b; October 7, 2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old October 7, 2016   #1924
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Larry, Brian Norcross on The Weather Channel said it might not even make it to the Bahamas when if circles back, but if it does it will be very weak. Now if looks like it well go below the peninsula, not hitting us on the return, if it even gets that far.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2016   #1925
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Larry, Brian Norcross on The Weather Channel said it might not even make it to the Bahamas when if circles back, but if it does it will be very weak. Now if looks like it well go below the peninsular, not hitting us on the return, if it even gets that far.
That would be nice, if it just ran out of gas out in the Atlantic.
Old October 8, 2016   #1926
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2016   #1927
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

This morning the National Hurricane Center had Matthew off the coast of Savannah with 105 MPH winds. 5 days later they have it way South, East of Nassau with 35 MPH winds. I'm guessing there is a lot of potential error in forecasting the position of a weak storm 120 hours in the future. There are now suggestioons that Matthew may ultimately merge wil hurricane Nicole.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; October 8, 2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old October 9, 2016   #1928
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Larry, I think you are getting your wish. It's now a sub tropical low, fizzling out rapidly in the Atlantic. Good riddance!
Old October 9, 2016   #1929
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default I was working in Jamaica at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Larry, I think you are getting your wish. It's now a sub tropical low, fizzling out rapidly in the Atlantic. Good riddance!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gilbert

This storm lasted almost ten days, hit Jamaica twice.It spurned a national hit song.

http://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=Wi...yword_rollover

Last edited by kurt; October 9, 2016 at 07:14 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2016   #1930
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I should have went and stood in line yesterday morning to get into one of the big box home improvement stores. Now I have to wait to buy a few fencing supplies in order to put my fence back up. But I'm happy my plants stood up fairly well.
Everyone, have a great day.
Larry
Old October 9, 2016   #1931
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

We just got our internet back. Kay/Ginny please report in.

When the storm hit our barrier island, it was LOW TIDE so that helped immensely. I went to the beach late on Friday and it looked good. Ginny, hopefully you are close enough that the low tide worked in your favor.

We just have massive cleanup to do; we did most yesterday but had tree people come today and took down 3 massive Norfolk pines that were too close to our house. To save $, we had them down them and cut them but we are going to drag to the road. Saves many hundreds.

In our neighborhood, one house lost over half of his back yard to the intercoastal. But he didn't have a reinforced sea wall where his neighbors on both sides did.

We had some roof leaks in the garage / and in the room with the ping pong table. This happened after the storm passed when we were getting it from the west. No tiles were displaced. Hopefully, I don't need a new roof. I'm sure prices are thousands more than 2 weeks ago.

Anyone with big Ficus trees had a lot of problems with uprooting; one in our neighbor hood landed on the house. Overall, most damage was downed/uprooted trees, downed fences, some fascia, missing shingles, etc.

The red royal Poinciana trees did not fare well; Mine aren't huge, but even some spilt. I'm taking them down over time.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2016   #1932
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
We just got our internet back. Kay/Ginny please report in.

When the storm hit our barrier island, it was LOW TIDE so that helped immensely. I went to the beach late on Friday and it looked good. Ginny, hopefully you are close enough that the low tide worked in your favor.

We just have massive cleanup to do; we did most yesterday but had tree people come today and took down 3 massive Norfolk pines that were too close to our house. To save $, we had them down them and cut them but we are going to drag to the road. Saves many hundreds.

In our neighborhood, one house lost over half of his back yard to the intercoastal. But he didn't have a reinforced sea wall where his neighbors on both sides did.

We had some roof leaks in the garage / and in the room with the ping pong table. This happened after the storm passed when we were getting it from the west. No tiles were displaced. Hopefully, I don't need a new roof. I'm sure prices are thousands more than 2 weeks ago.

Anyone with big Ficus trees had a lot of problems with uprooting; one in our neighbor hood landed on the house. Overall, most damage was downed/uprooted trees, downed fences, some fascia, missing shingles, etc.

The red royal Poinciana trees did not fare well; Mine aren't huge, but even some spilt. I'm taking them down over time.
Wow, you got it much worse than down here. I am very sorry that happened to you. I really want to hear from Kay, it has been silence from her for days.
Ginny, what happened to your property?

Barb, those Poincianas have very invasive root systems, and they are dirty for a month with flowers dropping, so good riddance!
My seedlings are getting super tall, I think I am going to have to plant some this week.
Old October 9, 2016   #1933
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb, so happy to hear from you. We all dodged a bullet in my opinion.

My place was fine. No leaks and no damage to the rv, boat or golf cart. However there is a big mess with many cedar trees down. We were lucky and got electric back on yesterday about noon which is amazingly fast but we are on the same transformer as a local hardware store which seems to help. We are about half way between ponce inlet and cape canerval so the part of the intracoastal waterway that we are on is about 15 miles in each dierection to the nearest inlet to the ocean. And the average depth of the estuary is 2 to 3 feet. So normally we do not get a lot of influx of additional seawater levels as it has so far to travel and this time held out as well.

The permamnent structures here (owned by the campground) all had roof damage (the park onwers house's roof caved in on the second floor) or completely blew away but the RV's were all ok.

Fence is down, mailboxes down, etc.

My tomato plants in the earthboxes are all beat up but I still had some teenagers in cups which I put in the camper just before i left and they look fine i so will probably swap them out.

Above is an example of one of the downed cedars.

So glad everyone is ok.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2016   #1934
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear from you Ginny. Now just waiting on Kay.

We finally got our boil water alert lifted. So all services are now back to normal.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2016   #1935
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Orlando forecast low for tomorrow morning 66 and tomorrow afternoon forecast high 79 and in the next 9 days forecast a lot more sun and very little rain forecast..
Let the tomato setting begin! Well actually it started a time back, but it would sure be nice if it were to pick up speed.
Glad to hear everyone is getting back to normal.
Larry