Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2016   #166
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The last three years actually I do nothing, only compare varieties. This year I compare determinate varieties from Sarayev, I also compare American hybrids Burple´s Big Boy F1, Better Boy F1, Best Boy F1, Park´s Whooper F1, Big Beef F1, Steak Sandwitch F1 and Bush Golliath F1.I will compare the Mikado, Mikado, Mikado Rozovye, Mikado Krasnoe, Brandywine Sudduth´s, Henderson Ponderosa Pink, Large Red, Livingston´s Paragon Red and Acme. The first time I will also have side by side Stupice and Tamina (Matina).
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016   #167
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Time for verdicts

Which variety won in the versus competition? Some of you must have ripe fruit to compare. Isn't it about time some verdicts started coming in?

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016   #168
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

At least three of my versus challenges are ties, because I can't tell the varieties apart:

Beryl Beauty vs Jade Beauty
Sweet Sue vs Mr Snow
Qiyanai Huang vs Coastal Pride Orange.

Tasmanian Chocolate wins best dark dwarf.

Agatha wins best red determinate.

Best indeterminates of the year are Mat-Su Express, Sladkij Ponchik, and Rebel Yell.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016   #169
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
At least three of my versus challenges are ties, because I can't tell the varieties apart:

Sweet Sue vs Mr Snow

Best indeterminates of the year are Mat-Su Express, Sladkij Ponchik, and Rebel Yell.
I am growing Jade Beauty and Sweet Sue thanks to you ColeRobbie! Jade Beauty is just wonderful, Sweet Sue is good also but not as productive for me.

I have not grown Qiyanai Huang vs Coastal Pride Orange, but am growing Blazing Beauty and it has simply amazed me with production and taste. I have a pic of it in another thread, new fruit forming.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016   #170
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You're very welcome. May was very cold for me, and my yield on Sweet Sue has been low as well.

On several varieties, the early cold, then sudden warm summer weather made them set a large amount of fruit at once, which sounds great, but I ended up with a lot of cherry-sized tomatoes, when last year I had tennis-ball seized fruit off the same variety.

As far as red dwarfs go, I'm dropping Cyril's Choice. Mano beat it handily. Sweet Scarlet didn't do much for me. I could taste the potential in its flavor, but production was low in my poor weather. Ina was the production winner. It's also the shelf-life winner, which is why I can't comment on flavor. It just keeps sitting on my counter.

Last edited by Cole_Robbie; July 9, 2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old July 9, 2016   #171
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You're very welcome. May was very cold for me, and my yield on Sweet Sue has been low as well.

On several varieties, the early cold, then sudden warm summer weather made them set a large amount of fruit at once, which sounds great, but I ended up with a lot of cherry-sized tomatoes, when last year I had tennis-ball seized fruit off the same variety.

As far as red dwarfs go, I'm dropping Cyril's Choice. Mano beat it handily. Sweet Scarlet didn't do much for me. I could taste the potential in it's flavor, but production was low in my poor weather. Ina was the production winner. It's also the shelf-life winner, which is why I can't comment on flavor. It just keeps sitting on my counter.
Ditto on Sweet Scarlet here. I have two plants and the taste is incredible, but low production.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #172
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Sweet Sue vs Mr Snow

Interesting info Cole_Robbie. By the way, thanks for the Cole seeds I got in our trade. That little plant is quite a tomato machine. It looks like it may also be the first to ripen fruit, even though it's outside, where the nighttime temps have been 8-14*C (46-57*F) most of the summer. It's ahead of the varieties in my greenhouse, where I keep the temp above 15*C (60*F) and daytime temps are quite warm. (How does Agatha compare to it?)

Steve
Old July 11, 2016   #173
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Cole is from Saskatchewan, so it makes sense it would do well in cool weather.

Agatha is a bigger plant, bigger tomato, and about 10-14 days later than Cole, by my guess. Both of them have excellent "real tomato" flavor.
Old October 9, 2016   #174
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Looking for results!

Here's a list showing what many of you were planning to grow and compare. So far, only Cole_Robbie has posted some results. It would be interesting to know what the winners were in the other comparisons.

BigVanVader: Big Beef vs Mountain Merit. Black Cherry vs Ron's Carbon Copy f7.
jmsieglaff: Earl of Edgecomb vs Jaune Flammee and Dwarf Wild Fred vs Dwarf Fred's Tie Dye and Black Cherry vs Chocolate Cherry
Labradors2: Tangerine vs Jubilee.

Worth1: Aunt Ruby's German Green versus Emerald Evergreen. Paul Robinson versus Indian Stripe.
charley: pit viper ,o"sena green,malakhitovaya shkatulka,cherokee lime ,cherokee lime stripes,and cherokee green all in a row. i caint wait to see who wins.
jillian: Girl Girl's Weird Thing vs Large Barred Boar
pmcgrady: Barry's Crazy Cherry vs Ildi
NarnianGarden: Noire de crimee versus BKX
TC_Manhattan: Green Doctors Frosted vs. Verde Claro. Green Giant vs. Malachite Box.
Cole_Robbie: Rebelski vs Marbonne. BHN-871 vs Chef's Choice Orange. Coastal Pride Orange vs Qiyanai Huang [tie]. Dwarf Emerald Beauty vs Jade Beauty [tie].

[5 way]: BHN-871 vs. Rumi Banjan vs. Babushkin Potseluy vs Sakharnyi Zheltyi vs Tobolsk

This year's contestants to be my new hanging basket variety: Whipper Snapper- Anmore Dewdrop - Anmore Treasures - Pendulina Red - Cherry Falls – Ditmarsher

Chocolate Champion vs Chocolate Lightning vs reigning champion, Tasmanian Chocolate [winner].
natural: Green Copia vs Cherokee Lime Stripes
AlittleSalt: Big Beef to Big Boy
Gardeneer: Brown Heart ( my own named)== Black from Tula *== Black Sea Man== Indian Stripe== Cherokee Purple.

Big Beef vs Big Boy vs Better Boy
MrBig46: American hybrids Burple´s Big Boy F1, Better Boy F1, Best Boy F1, Park´s Whooper F1, Big Beef F1, Steak Sandwitch F1 and Bush Golliath F1.

Mikado, Mikado Rozovye, Mikado Krasnoe, Brandywine Sudduth´s, Henderson Ponderosa Pink, Large Red, Livingston´s Paragon Red and Acme.

Stupice and Tamina (Matina)
Old October 9, 2016   #175
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I never planted any mountain merit, ran out of space and I wasn't willing to sacrifice other varieties. For me BC and Ron's CC were nearly identical but RCC didn't split as bad and were slightly larger.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2016   #176
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately, I didn't grow Jubilee to compare, but Tangerine was a decent-tasting large orange tomato.

I compared the taste of Indian Stripe, Margaret Curtain and Dwarf Rosella Purple. Indian Stripe tasted best! MC was the most prolific, but suffered quite a bit of radial cracking.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #177
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year I had the worst tomato season. Uncontrolled has spread a bacterial disease in my garden and my season ended prematurely. Even so I try gradually to compare different varieties.
I grew a single plant:
Mikado- seeds from Tatiana
Mikado Rozovyi- seeds from Nikitovka
Mikado Krasnyi- seeds from Nikitovka
The fruits of these plants were significantly smaller than those in catalogs from the 19th century. Tomato Mikado Krasnyi not even have potato leaf. At first sight all looked very similar fruits, but taste was clearly the best Mikado (from seeds Tatiana's). Mikado was surprisingly one of the tastiest tomatoes which I grew this year. Another surprise for me was the vitality of the plant Mikado in difficult conditions infestation diseases - perhaps the only plant whose leaves were infected which was not challenged by leaf diseases.
Next year I'll grow two plants Mikado.
Vladimír
PS.: I think that this type of Mikado was used when the crossing Stupice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8146456Mikado.JPG (89.7 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg P8146457MikadoRoz.JPG (93.4 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg P8146458MikadoKras.JPG (92.3 KB, 217 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #178
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I had a short season, too, and did not get to experiment as much as I had planned.

I had Anmore Treasures, Anmore Dewdrops, and Whippersnapper, but none of them had the structure of Tumbling Tom that I was looking for. I put one each of Anmore Treasures/Dewdrops in the outdoor garden, and they were my first tomatoes of the year, beating even the high tunnel. I preferred Anmore Treasures, and did save a few seeds, but I will go back to Tumbling Tom for my hanging baskets.
Old October 12, 2016   #179
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for those reports BigVanVader, Labradors2, MrBig46, and Cole_Robbie. We're still missing a lot of results, however. ? ? ?
Old October 15, 2016   #180
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I report my versus on dark tomatoes. I grew CP, IS PL, BFT and an unknown. variety.

1-BFT was the winner hands down.
2- The unknown variety ( similar to Sara Black ) came second.
3, 4 - IS and CP took 3rd and 4tj place respectively. CP produced no more than 5 large tomatoes.

Both (1) and (2) were more productive and early than the other two.
In conclusion, I highly recommend BFT.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote