Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 12, 2016   #166
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Al did you ever grow Zachary? If so how did you like it?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #167
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Canehdian, I grow Indian Stripe every year and it is always great. This year I'm going for the PL version just for fun to see. BFT is also a great black tomato in our Canadian climate. I'm probably also going to grow Spudatula, the PL version of BFT. CP was ok for me, as was Black Krim, but nothing that would make me grow them over other black/purple varieties. Margaret Curtain also did quite well for me. I'm really flipping back and forth over Paul Robeson. I was planning on growing Owen's Purple as well. I can't stand it. I have to stay away from TV because I can't narrow down my list!!!!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #168
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

@ heirloom, I didn't get it in the ground last year but I have seedlings this year. I'm excited to try it though.

How did your comparison go with the purple haze vs dehibridized variants?

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #169
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

The closest thing i have found to Purple Haze F1 flavor wise was Zachary. The others were good but Zachary was great.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old March 12, 2016   #170
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

@ Sharon, I have a solution for you concerning your list of too many blacks. All you need to do is go out and get a community garden plot (or add another one if that's what you use!) and then you won't have to narrow down your list! How did Margaret Curtain do vs. Paul Robeson in your zone? Did you like one more than the other and did one mature quicker?

I'm growing both MC and PR this season and I'm anxious to find out how they do for me.

@ heirloom, that's great to hear! I'm also going to grow black hole sun this year so I'll compare Zachary to it even though it may not be that similar...

Al

Last edited by Al@NC; March 12, 2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old March 12, 2016   #171
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Black hole sun was good to but i think Zachary may win that battle.
Old March 12, 2016   #172
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Heirloom, I can't wait to taste them!

Al
Old March 12, 2016   #173
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Canehdian, I grow Indian Stripe every year and it is always great. This year I'm going for the PL version just for fun to see. BFT is also a great black tomato in our Canadian climate. I'm probably also going to grow Spudatula, the PL version of BFT. CP was ok for me, as was Black Krim, but nothing that would make me grow them over other black/purple varieties. Margaret Curtain also did quite well for me. I'm really flipping back and forth over Paul Robeson. I was planning on growing Owen's Purple as well. I can't stand it. I have to stay away from TV because I can't narrow down my list!!!!
Sharon, have fun, grow them all. I will be growing 45 varieties + self seeding cherries. And maybe more...
BTW I was born in Crimea. In Ukrainian language it is "Крим". I just have to grow Black Krim. I have PL version to grow this year and hope it will be nice to me.
I grow Indian Stripe every year as well and it is always great for me too. Have you tried JD's Special C-Tex? I will be growing Owen's Purple for the first time. It had such a awesome review here at TV:" the best black".

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #174
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

What are your seed sources for Margaret Curtain and Zachary?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #175
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

@ efisakov, I'm surprised by your harvest weights, it seems that Girl Girl's Weird Thing grows best in your climate along with C-tex!

About Owen's Purple, it seems to be getting a lot of attention with Terry at Secret Seed Cartel saying that it's now her favorite black instead of Carbon..

Al

Last edited by Al@NC; March 12, 2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old March 12, 2016   #176
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Sharon, have fun, grow them all. I will be growing 45 varieties + self seeding cherries. And maybe more...
BTW I was born in Crimea. In Ukrainian language it is "Крим". I just have to grow Black Krim. I have PL version to grow this year and hope it will be nice to me.
I grow Indian Stripe every year as well and it is always great for me too. Have you tried JD's Special C-Tex? I will be growing Owen's Purple for the first time. It had such a awesome review here at TV:" the best black".
Is there something special about the potato leaf version?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2016   #177
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

According to Terry at secret seed cartel: "This version is an improvement we believe. Much more crack reistant and bigger producer than the regular leaf version."
Old March 12, 2016   #178
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone at TV tried it yet? (I mean besides efisakov who is about to try it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Sigh... more tomatoes I wanna try now.... [adding to seed hunting list] Owen's Purple + Black Krim PL

Last edited by Scooty; March 12, 2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old March 12, 2016   #179
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

Scooty, what are your favorite black/purples?

Al
Old March 12, 2016   #180
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
Scooty, what are your favorite black/purples?

Al
Hmmm.... probably Carbon and BK. There are probably a couple more, but those immediately pop to mind.

I hear good things about Noire de Crimee, that's another one I wanna get seeds for to try. Sadly Marsha was out of it by the time I mailed my SASE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
Dipchip2000, where do you get Carbon Copy?
Al
Pretty sure he's Ron of Ron's Carbon Copy. I'm getting my seeds from Marsha though.

Last edited by Scooty; March 12, 2016 at 02:43 PM.