Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 10, 2015   #166
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Man that was an interesting read. I would just add that every tomato regardless of strain or anything else will perform differently pretty much every year (especially here) so you don't really know if you are making a good investment/decision or not until you actually grow it. That is what is so fun about gardening right? Or is it the hours of backbreaking labor and 8 million mosquito bites?

I myself enjoy trying as many new varieties as I can, and people like Camo and many others here sharing seeds makes that possible with very little effort. I have grown a lot of tomatoes that didn't seem any different than similar varieties to me, but I say name it w/e you like, it doesn't affect me in any way b/c I still want to see what happens when I grow it.

I grew "Pink Brandywine" last year and the production was very low (around 5 lbs per plant avg) The taste was just ok to me and TBH I thought my Super Sioux tasted better and they produced about 10x the amount, but I'm still happy I grew PB. I have moved on to try other tomatoes this year, thanks to all of you and I know I will find some that don't meet my expectations and some that exceed them. I may even rename some of the standouts. I mean who wouldn't wanna grow a mater named VADER TIME?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #167
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

No no no! Bad boy! No renameses!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Man that was an interesting read. I would just add that every tomato regardless of strain or anything else will perform differently pretty much every year (especially here) so you don't really know if you are making a good investment/decision or not until you actually grow it. That is what is so fun about gardening right? Or is it the hours of backbreaking labor and 8 million mosquito bites?

I myself enjoy trying as many new varieties as I can, and people like Camo and many others here sharing seeds makes that possible with very little effort. I have grown a lot of tomatoes that didn't seem any different than similar varieties to me, but I say name it w/e you like, it doesn't affect me in any way b/c I still want to see what happens when I grow it.

I grew "Pink Brandywine" last year and the production was very low (around 5 lbs per plant avg) The taste was just ok to me and TBH I thought my Super Sioux tasted better and they produced about 10x the amount, but I'm still happy I grew PB. I have moved on to try other tomatoes this year, thanks to all of you and I know I will find some that don't meet my expectations and some that exceed them. I may even rename some of the standouts. I mean who wouldn't wanna grow a mater named VADER TIME?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #168
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

BigVanVader - If you like Siux, as I do, you probably lean toward a more acid like or as Carolyn might call it "zippy" taste. Of the BW types out there, thus far I like Stump Of The World the best and find it has a bit more of the taste I prefer. Have you tried it?
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #169
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I haven't but I have some seedlings growing now so God willing I will try them in a few months. I got seeds from Marsha. I'm trying like 25 new varieties this year so its gonna be a little nuts. I do tend to like a bite of a bite in my tomatoes, I enjoy green when ripes for that reason. Many super sweets I find nasty, but my son and others enjoy them and I like to try them all just in case ☺
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #170
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Naming should be standard in a sense. I would think Cowlick's Brandywine could just mean a brandywine that came from Cowlick's, and Brandywine Cowlick's could mean a strain or type of Brandywine from Cowlick's, that is worth noting as different, time tested. Anyway, not the case, but a thought.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #171
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am a new member here. But I have visited this site as a reader in the past.

To me, honestly, any tomato name with "BRANDY" in it is just confusing. Because they are not even related to each other. The latest one is " BRANDY BOY". Congratulations ! where is the cigar? hehe.
What is more that we do not even know this BOY's parents . How come it is not an orphan?. haha
Sincerely,
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #172
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

I certainly keep my seeds of a the same variety but from different sources apart from one another in case one performs better or has better germination etc.

I am also glad that others such as camochef do the same.

Selection for good traits is a good thing.

I will grow suddiths and cowlicks this year and enjoy them both hopefully.

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #173
akaRach
Tomatovillian™

Wow interesting thread for sure.

To the OP, I just wanted to say that I try to grow brandywine strains every year, and every year I am so disappointed I usually get extremely low yields (two or three tomatoes) and poor flavor. I do keep trying tho and this year I will be trying different strain. Again.
akaRach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #174
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

akaRach - I am more and more convinced Brandywine must not be for me. I only get to grow a small number of plants, I don't have room for low producers and unreliable quality. What works well in your garden? Do you have a big pink/red you like?
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #175
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

As far as heirlooms go, especially pinks, I get better yield out of the heart-shaped varieties. Anna Maria's Heart was a good producer for me last year.

Cosmonaut Volkov also did well. It's Soviet in origin. I think a lot of the old Soviet commercial varieties show a good yield potential. I also look for varieties that are currently being grown by market growers and small farmers around the world.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #176
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Isnt Cosmonaut Volkov Determinate? How big did it get for you? The older I get the more I'm looking for plants that are easier to manage!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #177
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

It's strange that Brandywine would get such an incredible reputation without actually being an easy to grow tasty variety! The garden centers around here all sell them, but the few farms around here that grow seedlings for the farmers market don't grow Brandywine at all. I thought it might just be because the big box stores were too much competition. I should be paying attention to the growers around me.
This year I think I'll try Anna Russian, it's supposed to be a tasty early heart.
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #178
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Isnt Cosmonaut Volkov Determinate? How big did it get for you? The older I get the more I'm looking for plants that are easier to manage!
It's indeterminate. It gets big. My plants fell over and sprawled.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #179
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I wonder which of the Dwarf Project plants tastes the most like Brandywine?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2015   #180
akaRach
Tomatovillian™

Lindy, that's how I feel too but I just don't want to give up on them!

I have alot of room for experiment tho, so I never feel the time has been wasted in the effort. To this date I have not found a big pink or red that does well for me!
akaRach is offline   Reply With Quote