Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 22, 2014   #166
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Okay you all, it is EARLIEST Monday. I hope you survived state fair ummm errr food. I know, cotton candy wrapped fried snicker bars with a side of bacon wrapped MSG sounded like a good idea, but are you guys okay?

I can't ask newbie questions if you are not here to answer.
Buuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp. I'm back, so ask away.

I should be posting the first updated wish list by about Wednesday.

Prior to that, as in the previous two years, these "types" (categories) of tomatoes will be on many wish lists...

any black
any green
any blue
any pink
any striped
any heart

These can be sent in as single packs for wish lists, or 10 packs of a variety to join a category. A few people send in 10+ packs of a variety.

The deep fried Snickers Bar was probably the worst thing I tried (several years ago) in 50 years of fair food.

With 170,615 people there on Saturday, I figure about 85,312 were male, 85,312 were female, and 1 "not sure". Of the ~85,312 males, about 42,656 were adults and about 42,656 were children. My guess is that about 42,650 of the adult males were dressed down (like a 10 year old), while many of the women dressed up.

Even at the fair I can't escape gardening. There is a small herb garden at the fair. Someone has been stealing plants this spring. Since one of the plants was black peppermint, and a have a spreading patch of it, I have to return to the fair next weekend to plant some.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014   #167
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Even at the fair I can't escape gardening. There is a small herb garden at the fair. Someone has been stealing plants this spring. Since one of the plants was black peppermint, and a have a spreading patch of it, I have to return to the fair next weekend to plant some.

Gary

I'm so sorry you have to go back for another weekend of gluttony...Oops, I mean gardening.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #168
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

It's quite a chore, but I'm up to it. I wonder what fresh chopped mint leaves would go best on....Bacon Smores?

More types requested on participants wish lists which I forgot about...

any cherry
any "Dwarf Project"
Old September 24, 2014   #169
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'll start the wish list listing today. This is only from PMs and not all of them. The ones from the Wanted Varieties forum and emails will come later. I'm going to squeeze my mailing address among the varieties. There will be three lines with the Elvis emoticons. This way, I think I'll avoid phishing from hackers.

Varieties with a number in ( ) means that is how many people are already requesting that variety (and it's still very early with wish lists).

Amazing Grace cherry
Ambrosia Gold (3)
Ambrosia Pink (3)
Ambrosia Red
Amethyst Cream (2)
Gary Fitzgerald
Amos Coli
Anna Maria's Heart
Anna Russian
Azoychka
Bi-Color cherry
Big Beef OP
Big Cheef
Blackberry (2)
Blue Berries
22 Francis Street
Brad's Black Heart
Brandywine Sudduth
Burraker's Favorite
Carbon
Champagne (this may or may not be the cherry as follows)
Champagne cherry
Chang Li
Cherokee Chocolate
Chinese (the plum/paste one)
Chocolate Stripes
Costoluto Fiorintino
Cuostralee
Dancing With Smurfs
Daniel Burson
Dester
Don's Double Delight
Donskoi
Dwarf Arctic Rose
Dwarf Iditarod (Red)
Dwarf Rosella Crimson
Dwarf Sweet Sue
Earl's Faux
Elgin Pink (5)
Federle
Fish Lake Oxeart (red)
Floridade
Westfield, MA 01085
Fortuna
German Red Strawberry
Giant Belguim
Golden Cherokee
Goose Creek
Haley's Purple Comet
Indian Stripe
Isis Candy
Jean's Prize (2)
Joe's Pink Oxheart (lots!)
Kaleidescopic Jewel
Kiwi
Koroleva
Kosovo
Limbaugh's Legacy
Livingston's Oxheart
Lucky Cross
Lumpy Red
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka
Margaret Curtain (lots!)
Marizol Gold
Marmande Garnier
Mary Ann
Mega Marv
Millionaire
Mrs Benson's
Noire de Crimee (2)
Omar's Lebanese
Orange Russain 117 (2)
Orange Strawberry
Pale Perfect Purple
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Pink Bumblebee
Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
Rebel Yell
Red Robin
Regina's Yellow
Romeo
Rose de Berne
Rose Quartz Multiflora (3)
Royal Hillbilly
Santa Maria
Shadow Boxing
Speckled Roman
Sweet Quartz
Tangerine
Tim's Black Ruffled
Turkish Ayla
Virginia sweets
Zogola

Just a start.
Old September 24, 2014   #170
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
My local WalMart(s) "have" the 2 x3 's at $1.00 for 100. Since I go through about 2,000+ baggies a year, I usually clean out one or more stores at this time of the year. Luckily I have several WalMart stores in the area.
Our local Walmart has 5 pegs for putting the 2"x3" size baggies. All 5 were vacant until today. One peg had them and we bought a pack of 100. Yes, for a dollar. I'm going to send in 70 of those baggies with ten seeds each of tomatoes and peppers this year. Before I ask my newbie question, I would like to say:

Tormato, it must really be nice to have to go through 2000+ baggies a year. I thank you for having this MMMM. I'm sure it can get to be a little much.

My question is about donations. Three varieties of peppers I am sending in are hot. That is 30 baggies of 10 each hot pepper seeds. But I would like to donate 20 of those baggies of seeds. I don't need 30 different hot pepper seed varieties. 10 would be nice.

Sorry if what I have written does not make sense. I'm trying to learn how to function while having to take meds again.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2014   #171
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for reminding me about HOT peppers.

There may or may not be some of those 1,000,000+ Scoville Heat Unit peppers in the swap. I'd hope that all hot peppers are put in sealed plastic baggies, even if it has to be seeds in paper envelopes with the paper envelopes sealed in a zip baggie.
Old September 25, 2014   #172
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Our local Walmart has 5 pegs for putting the 2"x3" size baggies. All 5 were vacant until today. One peg had them and we bought a pack of 100. Yes, for a dollar. I'm going to send in 70 of those baggies with ten seeds each of tomatoes and peppers this year. Before I ask my newbie question, I would like to say:

Tormato, it must really be nice to have to go through 2000+ baggies a year. I thank you for having this MMMM. I'm sure it can get to be a little much.

My question is about donations. Three varieties of peppers I am sending in are hot. That is 30 baggies of 10 each hot pepper seeds. But I would like to donate 20 of those baggies of seeds. I don't need 30 different hot pepper seed varieties. 10 would be nice.

Sorry if what I have written does not make sense. I'm trying to learn how to function while having to take meds again.
Write a short note (about only wanting 10 or so peppers) on your wish list/sending in list that will be included with your seed packs. I'll try to go over the details about what I'd like on wish lists/sending in lists, likely on Monday.
Old September 27, 2014   #173
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I sent Czech tomato seeds to Gary last week. There are also two varieties which I didn´t grown sometimes. Brutus (Giant type) and Hugo (tomato paste).
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0001.JPG (520.8 KB, 367 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2014   #174
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir,

The seeds arrived five days after you sent them.

I'm looking through an old Seed Savers catalog for Czech varieties. Do you have "Czech's Excellent Yellow"? That's the name the variety is known by in the US.

Last edited by Tormato; September 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old September 28, 2014   #175
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Vladimir,

The seeds arrived five days after you sent them.

I'm looking through an old Seed Savers catalog for Czech varieties. Do you have "Czech's Excellent Yellow"? That's the name the variety is known by in the US.
Gary,
I do not have tomato "Czech's Excellent Yellow", even I do not know which name of this tomato is with us. About this tomato I only read on Tatiana's TOMATObase.
Vladimír
PS.: I also want to thank Tania, who devotes full time on creating and maintaining Tatiana's TOMAtobase, that we can use.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2014   #176
Peggo
Tomatovillian™

Default MMMM

Hi:

I like to participate but I am afraid I won't have much to offer, weather has been bad and my tomatos are still green, but if they ever turn ripe, I will have San Marzano, Costuloto Genovese and Lucky Cross. I would also be interested in the pepper seeds, wonder if anyone has Shisito Pepper seeds.

Peggo
Peggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2014   #177
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggo View Post
Hi:

I like to participate but I am afraid I won't have much to offer, weather has been bad and my tomatos are still green, but if they ever turn ripe, I will have San Marzano, Costuloto Genovese and Lucky Cross. I would also be interested in the pepper seeds, wonder if anyone has Shisito Pepper seeds.

Peggo
Peggo,

Proper spelling for the swap may be "Shish*to", because there is a swear word within the name that has been edited in other threads. There are others
requesting it, so hopefully it'll make the swap.

I'll give the name a capital try and see what happens...SHI★★★★O.

WOW! A 4 star rating, and not for flavor.

I'll try again... Shish(i)to.

Gary

Last edited by Tormato; September 30, 2014 at 02:49 PM.
Old September 30, 2014   #178
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Peggo,

Proper spelling for the swap may be "Shish*to", because there is a swear word within the name that has been edited in other threads. There are others
requesting it, so hopefully it'll make the swap.

I'll give the name a capital try and see what happens...SHI★★★★O.

Gary
Ok two questions.... I have lots of shish-ito peppers from plants I grew this year. 1. Are shish-ito peppers hybrid or open? 2. Do the peppers have to be red to save seeds? We pick them green. Shish-itos are amazing.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2014   #179
catanache
Tomatovillian™

I think someone asked this but I didn't see the reply. Is it permitted to enter a category with 5 packs each of 2 varietes? I'd like to join the paste/canner category and I have Royal Chico (paste) and Bonny Best (canner) but not enough to do 10 packs of one type. Same for the cherry category - Ester Hess Yellow & Riesentraube but not enough of either.

Oh, and I'd like to join this swap.

Also interested in the pepper swap. I have a sweet paprika and a spicy paprika to contribute.
catanache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2014   #180
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by catanache View Post
I think someone asked this but I didn't see the reply. Is it permitted to enter a category with 5 packs each of 2 varietes? I'd like to join the paste/canner category and I have Royal Chico (paste) and Bonny Best (canner) but not enough to do 10 packs of one type. Same for the cherry category - Ester Hess Yellow & Riesentraube but not enough of either.

Oh, and I'd like to join this swap.

Also interested in the pepper swap. I have a sweet paprika and a spicy paprika to contribute.
Catanache,

It's best to send in the 5 packs of varieties as "bonuses".

On your wish list request "any Paste/Canner" and "any Cherry", in addition to, or part of, your up to 15 wish list varieties. You'll most likely get back 10 or more Paste/Canner varieties, and 10 or more Cherry varieties.

Gary