Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 12, 2013   #166
Blk_Vegan
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year using TTF and the results have been excellent. Tremendous fruit set and nice size as well. Really impressed. That's the good news. The bad is I was beset with an infestation of squirrels that ravaged my raised bed tomato garden. I had to pick the majority of my early setting tomatoes green and allow them to ripen indoors which was a downer, as for me there is a noticeable diminishing in taste. I see cats and chicken wire cages in my future. Now the acorns are forming on the trees around me and the little pests are starting to devour them and have so far left the 'maters alone so just maybe i'll have vine ripened heirloom tomatoes for the fall. Knock on wood.
Old August 12, 2013   #167
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Dr Earth or TTF if you had a choice?
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2013   #168
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

I took the suggestion of UrbanFarmer and used one of the water bottles for my bicycle. It holds 20 oz and has the nozzle top. I adjusted the valve and was able to measure precisely with no spillage.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2013   #169
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_Vegan View Post
This is my first year using TTF and the results have been excellent. Tremendous fruit set and nice size as well. Really impressed. That's the good news. The bad is I was beset with an infestation of squirrels that ravaged my raised bed tomato garden. I had to pick the majority of my early setting tomatoes green and allow them to ripen indoors which was a downer, as for me there is a noticeable diminishing in taste. I see cats and chicken wire cages in my future. Now the acorns are forming on the trees around me and the little pests are starting to devour them and have so far left the 'maters alone so just maybe i'll have vine ripened heirloom tomatoes for the fall. Knock on wood.
There are plenty of squirrels in my neighborhood. However; they are well aware that there are cats roaming around amongst my tomato and pepper plants. NO problems with my veggies...

These are neighborhood cats that dine on the food that I put out for them. We have an agreement, and it is working out very well.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2013   #170
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Really impressed with TTF? I won't argue that...high heat, rain, and humidity had my plants at the brink (turns out it WAS NOT 'late blight'...mea culpa)...a thorough hair cut, a bleach spritz, and a quart of Ultimate Texas Tomato Food; and my plants are BACK!!! I thought I would be blessed if I got two or three tomatoes per plant, at best. That changed in two weeks...with few exceptions; they are LOADED! I have gone from weeping to cheering...thank you, TTF...another order on its way shortly. Give this stuff a try, folks.
Old August 22, 2013   #171
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Texas Tomato Food UPDATE: another gallon arrived in house today. We used a quart back around the first of the month. Without making ANY other changes whatsoever; we noticed new vigor in our plants; fresh growth, new blossoms, increased production. Throwing caution to the wind; we fed everybody some more TTF today; right out of the package. While watering; I noticed that my Ambrosia Red and Bi-Color Cherry tomato plants had reached across the aisle and effectively made the walking path impassable. We were able to walk right between them two weeks ago...and we just gave them MORE of this stuff??? We just noticed the slogan on the catalog insert that shipped with the product..."The Hardest Part is Managing the Growth!" NOW you tell us...perhaps you should consider a WARNING label on the side of the bottle. Now I have to buy a chain saw. Great.
Old August 27, 2013   #172
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Since fruit set is so much more difficult this time of the season I have done a little experimenting with some of my newer plants. I gave some the recommended dose of one tablespoon per gallon and some double and even more on some of them. After 3 weeks the ones that received the heavier concentration set much better and I saw no ill effects from the higher dose. I went out the last two mornings and gave all my tomatoes another higher dose hoping to get more fruit set in the heat of summer than is usual.

In the spring and early summer I kept to the recommended dose and had terrific fruit set but this time of the year is always a challenge getting decent fruit set so I'm hoping that the extra TTF will boost the setting on my newer fall plants as it did on my older plants that really perked up and set more fruit after a heavy dose I gave them a while back. I have had to do more pruning due to the foliage growth but that is not a problem because I have had to remove so much anyway due to the disease problems I have had caused by the unseasonably wet weather we have had this summer.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013   #173
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Okay...I'm convinced. I used a quart of Texas Tomato Food in early August, and applied more last week from an additional gallon of TTF. I observe spurts in new growth, blossoming, and fruit production even at this late stage in the season (New Hampshire). I use cattle panels to trellis my tomato plants, and most are now visibly higher than the top of the panels; which was NOT the case a few weeks ago. Managing the growth and keeping tomatoes picked is keeping us very busy. Ergo, in 2014; I will be employing these products on my garden exclusively, and will be monitoring the results. I will start the year out with the Vegetable Fertilizer; then will switch over to the Texas Tomato Food when fruiting commences...I expect BIG things from this these products in 2014. Thanks to 'Ricefarmer05' for bringing this product to our attention.
Old September 2, 2013   #174
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It really is quite amazing having a product live up to its hype, isn't it?

It has been less than a week since I gave my fall plants a boost with TTF and I'm already seeing increases in fruit set and blossoming. I'm going to use some more this week. So far I haven't found any drawback to using more so if the rain will let me I am going to keep giving them some every week until late fall or until I run out of product.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013   #175
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Used the last of mine last week. Definitely on the lst for next ear. And there is no need to measure, IMHO. Just dump about two Tbsp in a two gallon wearing can and split between two plants. Worked for me.
Old September 2, 2013   #176
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I would agree with all of the positive sentiment about both the TTF and the Veggie.
They performed admirably.
Almost no BER, I think I had 3 or 4 Toms with it in total. Compared to last year, where I lost 20 to 30% of my Orange Banana's to it.
Partial credit to reduced, more even watering but the Ferts get the most credit.
It really is a complete Fert, I did not see the need for any add-in's.
Now I just need to figure out the simplest way to automate the delivery with my watering system.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2013   #177
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

I'd have to agree about the results with the Urban Farm products. I transplanted an Early Wonder into a 5 gallon SWC on 7-24 and have been using the All Purpose Veg fertilizer on the recommended Feed three times and water three times schedule. I added Myco Madness on a weekly basis to the water also. I've posted a then and now photo for comparison. I have three tomatoes growing now. Time to switch to the Texas Tomato Food and see how many tomatoes I get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Early Wonder_20130724_Crop.jpg (342.4 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg Early Wonder_20130911.jpg (267.1 KB, 289 views)
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2014   #178
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Spring is coming bump for the line of Urban Farm Liquid Fertilizers...can't wait to see the results from using these goodies over the course of an entire growing season.
Old January 13, 2014   #179
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I got a whole gallon? of this last year. I didn't use much of it. It has been stored in a cooler room away from freezing. Will this still be good?
Old January 13, 2014   #180
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

They told me that it would over-winter just fine, but it should be kept at room temperature. They also said it could be frozen, but their personal preference was fresh. Perhaps you should send them a PM via 'TomatoMail'...they are usually quick to respond.