Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 2, 2017   #151
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

For those interested, or those who enjoy masochistic activities, here is the most recent video on the very old tomato seed saga...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Hj5MH36ic&t=26s

I am aware many believe this is a complete fraud, but in the off chance he is growing an extinct tomato variety, it seems his difficulties with the plant may be giving clear evidence of why it was allowed to go extinct.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2017   #152
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Don't click it, it will haunt you. Unless you are into self-inflicted pain.
It is a young gardener that got caught up in the pennies that Youtube started giving
out a few years ago for hits. (causes insanity). Very well planned on their part. All
the commercials...smart business plan for suckers.

Hype and Hook.

And full of bad information. Not well studied.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2017   #153
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I just reread this complete thread and have not changed my position on old seeds.

Do any of you remember when I was contacted by someone in the south where they found human poop at the base of the hole in the privy and from property records those tomato seeds had to beat least 100 years old. I was asked my opinion,was sent pictures of the privy,and yes, I gave my opinion about that,yes I did.

Do any of you remember when I was contacted by a woman who attended an auction held at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens in NYCs,she won, most were not tomatoes,some were and she wanted to know how best to revive them,I spent many weeks going back and forth with her and she was never able to revive anything as it turned out.

The difference here was that the Brooklyn Botanic Garden kept excellent records and knew exactly where and when what they auctioned off came from

They used to send out botanists to NJ to PA to upstate NY and I had to laugh when I saw one accession was from Saugerties NY, which I know well. What they were doing was cleaning house if you will,to make a little money.

All for now,

Carolyn, who once was given a very old seed catlog from the late 1800's and inside was a glassine pack with a few watermelon seeds.As Optimistic as i was back then, I tried everything I could do to germinate them,but nada. My own father used to save seeds from winter squash,they were still on a shelf in the oldest greenhouse,no luck there, but in the same place found a notebook where he noted what he paid for everything,and there it was something like 25cents/gal for heating oil for the furnace in that greenhouse.
Old June 13, 2017   #154
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Latest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJk9WhCGzLs

He really should join T'ville. Seems to have some strange views on tomatoes.

Last edited by JohnJones; June 13, 2017 at 11:13 AM.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #155
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Nice roots on the transplant, a bit yellow, probably just hungry. The kid is trying, gotta give him that.

We should pelt him with a MMMM envelope, growing half of them will set him straight.

Last edited by Gerardo; June 13, 2017 at 11:21 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #156
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I read through this thread and like Worth, can't stand to watch the videos. He is too campy for me.

dictionary: Campy - consciously artificial, exaggerated, vulgar, or mannered; self-parodying, esp when in dubious taste

Lettuce only germinates when exposed to light. Beets require mild acidic conditions to trigger germination. Tomatoes require light, heat, and abundant nutrients.

Most of what I saw looks and sounds like wishful thinking.

P.S. tips folks, plant lettuce seed on top of the ground and cover with a very thin layer of peat moss. Light has to get to the seed. Plant carrots and spring radishes together. The radishes break the soil and protect the carrot seedlings until the radishes have been pulled. Cover the radishes and carrots with 1/4 inch of peat moss. Old bean seed can be germinated in a cell tray with seed start mix by pushing the seed just barely into moist soil. Water beans one time with a very weak nitrogen fertilizer.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #157
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Can someone just tell us what he said, I wont watch him anymore, twice is enough.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #158
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Can someone just tell us what he said, I wont watch him anymore, twice is enough.

Worth
Just turn the volume down and watch his hand gesturing.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #159
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth
He is very overdramatic about how sensitive, special and different THIS tomato plant is, that he never had a plant this sensitive before, how much he had to do to keep it alive and how well it is doing now. Blabla...

I regret watching it And I really LOVE watching good vegetable/fruit garden youtubers Plus I'm probably younger than him and still don't like him.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #160
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Don't take the bait. I'm with Worth on this. It will haunt you. This just gives him more
hits. And it will show up on your you-tube side bar forever...it finally went away from the
first time I watched..
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #161
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I blocked him from my sidebar.
Worth
Old June 14, 2017   #162
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post
He is very overdramatic about how sensitive, special and different THIS tomato plant is, that he never had a plant this sensitive before, how much he had to do to keep it alive and how well it is doing now. Blabla...

I regret watching it And I really LOVE watching good vegetable/fruit garden youtubers Plus I'm probably younger than him and still don't like him.
Just reading this creeped me out.
Worth
Old June 14, 2017   #163
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I my own drama this year. Locomatto sent me some old Rutgers seeds from the 1980s. He knew I was searching for a certain Rutgers strain for my Dad.

Well as it turns out my Dad is very ill with heart problems and I went to go see him this spring. I ended up taking my Jiffy flat with me and transplanting several seedlings into my Mom's garden...but no Rutgers. None of them sprouted.

When I got back to Oklahoma I transplanted a few Pineapple tomatoes and a couple sungolds, then threw the empty Jiffy pots from the flat together in a tray. I had given up on any Rutgers sprouting.

a week or so later a sprout.

Now the question remains. Was it a Rutgers? or a stray sungold/pineapple? They are all mixed up now! ARRRRRGSSSS

So because I had given up, I still can't say for sure, but maybe it is a lost strain of Rutgers from old seed. The good news is that sungold and pineapple are both yellows. So once I get a tomato I'll know.! If it's red it's Rutgers from very old seed!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; June 14, 2017 at 10:32 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2017   #164
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I my own drama this year. Locomatto sent me some old Rutgers seeds from the 1980s. He new I was searching for a certain Rutgers strain for my Dad.

Well as it turns out my Dad is very ill with heart problems and I went to go see him this spring. I ended up taking my Jiffy flat with me and transplanting several seedlings into my Mom's garden...but no Rutgers. None of them sprouted.

When I got back to Oklahoma I transplanted a few Pineapple tomatoes and a couple sungolds, then threw the empty Jiffy pots from the flat together in a tray. I had given up on any Rutgers sprouting.

a week or so later a sprout.

Now the question remains. Was it a Rutgers? or a stray sungold/pineapple? They are all mixed up now! ARRRRRGSSSS

So because I had given up, I still can't say for sure, but maybe it is a lost strain of Rutgers from old seed. The good news is that sungold and pineapple are both yellows. So once I get a tomato I'll know.! If it's red it's Rutgers from very old seed!
Here's some history about Rutgers,and not that old

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hist...&bih=788&dpr=1

Also check out the threads from here at Tville.

At any one time in an SSE Yearbook up to 8 different ones can be listed.

Just checked a Yearbook on the floor near me and bred by the Campbell Soup Co in 1928,refined by Rutgers University in 1943.

IthinkifyoulookintheLegacyForumhereyou'llalsofinda threadaboutRutgers.

Summary? it's great that you got those seeds,or some of them, from the 1980's, but that's not the same as suggesting it's an old strain of Rutgers since Rutgers has been available from many places for many many decades.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/R...d_Availability

You can always contact SESE and see if they have any old seeds around,if that might help.

Carolyn
Old June 14, 2017   #165
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I'm also interested in getting the original strain. My Moms favorite tomato and she says they taste different now. My seeds came from Burpee. I grow plants for her yearly, as well and a few for elderly customers. Is there anyway to know for certain if the seeds you get are legit?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote