Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 17, 2014   #151
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
If anyone in Canada is looking for small zip-bags, I recommend Dollarama. You get 80 for $1,which in Canada is excellent. It was $5 in Michaels and walmart is hit-or-miss whether they have any in stock. I like the extra-fine sharpies to write on them with, but am considering printing off a piece of paper for each pack with the seed collection information on it, the DTM, category info, etc.

What info do people want to have included with the seeds besides the name?
Example: I'm going to add...

Name: Roma
A circled C because they are from a Burpee pack
DTM
Det
Year 2014
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2014   #152
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Are there any interest for det tomatoes? I have couple commercial ones from Ukraine,such as Ballada, Titan red, Kremenchugskiy red, Urban as well as something called Tomato tree. Also few seeds of long keeping one named New Shedevr, supps to stay green and very slow turning red up till Feb.

Dwarf/Determinate is lumped into one category. Most people who joined this category last year were looking for Dwarf Project varieties. Dwarf Project varieties are dwarf INDETERMINATE plants. They likely also received some determinate varieties. Also, there may be a few participants this year looking for micro-dwarfs (plants that only get to about 12" high). A slightly complicated category it is.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2014   #153
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Lindalana, asked: "Are there any interest for det tomatoes?"

I am going to send in 10 packs of 10 Roma seeds this year because the Burpee seed pack I bought this year has over 100 seeds in it. Roma are Det. On my paper I send in, I'm going to ask Tormato to put this donation in the, "Paste" section so I can get back other paste types. For me, paste tomatoes are the only Det variety I need. So yes, I am interested.

I'm doing something along the same lines with the only other tomato that I have enough seeds from. I'm going to donate 10 packs of 10 seeds each from my, "Porter" tomatoes. Porter tomatoes also fall into two categories. One being "Red" and the other being "Hot Weather". I am going to ask that my Porters be in the Hot Weather selection because that tomato variety makes sense in my hot and humid garden.

Separate, but MMMM related: Today, I found that I can buy the little 2" x 3" zip packs at our local Staples for $6.99 for 100 zip packs. I personally have never bought anything online, but you can find them at Amazon and Walmart.com and countless other places. I'm old fashioned and like forking over cash for products I can see and touch, so I'm buying mine at Staples.

As for the bubble mailer. I'm hoping Tormato or someone will explain that to me with a little more detail. (Tormato, I just added your nickname to the dictionary here - ) I understand I need to get a 3 oz, bubble mailer from the post office and send it to Tormato so that I can get MMMM seeds back. Do I need to mail it in a larger envelope with my paper and seeds? Like a 9 x 12 envelope?
Just send your seeds, wish list/sending in list, and return postage in a bubble mailer (whatever size works for you). Size #000 (6" x 9") can be a bit small. The next size up (#0?) is what most people use. Your bubble mailer will be re-used and sent back to you (as long as it isn't one that has about 10,000 miles put on it).

Gary
Old September 17, 2014   #154
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

My local WalMart(s) "have" the 2 x3 's at $1.00 for 100. Since I go through about 2,000+ baggies a year, I usually clean out one or more stores at this time of the year. Luckily I have several WalMart stores in the area.
Old September 17, 2014   #155
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalana View Post
Are there any interest for det tomatoes? I have couple commercial ones from Ukraine,such as Ballada, Titan red, Kremenchugskiy red, Urban as well as something called Tomato tree. Also few seeds of long keeping one named New Shedevr, supps to stay green and very slow turning red up till Feb.
There were a couple of requests for long keepers last year, but none came in to the swap. No requests for specific varieties on a wish list, just any long keeper. It's probably best that if anyone is looking for long keepers to request them on their wish list.
Old September 17, 2014   #156
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
My local WalMart(s) "have" the 2 x3 's at $1.00 for 100. Since I go through about 2,000+ baggies a year, I usually clean out one or more stores at this time of the year. Luckily I have several WalMart stores in the area.
Yeah, come to think of it, I guess they're $1 here, too- maybe Michael's charges $1.99- haven't bought any in a while. Anyway, they're nowhere close to $7!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2014   #157
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I hate those small plastic ziplok baggies. Seeds stick to the inside, they get caught up in the zip part and, well,I just don't like them at all. Which is why I stick with the #1 coin envelopes.

If any of you want to send me you zip ones, I can give them a dignified scenic funeral.

I build small rafts, have Freda tie the zippers to them, the loathed zipper ones, she places them in Buttermilk Falls brook which runs by my home.

The rafts wend their way to White Creek, which empties into the Battenkill river which winds up in the Hudson River.

From there they head south past NYCity, enjoying the sites, and then out to the Atlantic ocean.

It's a real treat and great satisfaction for me to do that for any of you.

Carolyn, who does not charge for this service, a person just needs to ante up the $$$ needed to send them to me.
Old September 18, 2014   #158
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The fly fishing persons on the Battenkill would be in an uprar, so I would not put my address on the zip baggie label.

My only problem with the plastic baggies is the static electricity where a pile of them has the top ones floating around and not staying put in its container.
Old September 18, 2014   #159
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

I'm in again, thanks in advance Gary!!!
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2014   #160
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

If you can't find the small bags, try the ziploc snack bags. They are smaller than the sandwich bags, but they are easier to remove the seeds from. I have some flat paper coin tubes that I might tape shut. The tiny bags are hard to handle on bad arthritis days.

@ Carolyn: I'd put mine on a funeral pyre, but the toxic smoke would be bad for my tomatoes.
Old September 19, 2014   #161
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm about 99% done with fermenting and drying my seeds, so next week I'll have much more time to update the new rules (suggestions). The first rule is that there does not have to be any really rigid rules.

I'll be taking the wish lists at the Wanted Varieties section, and PM's, (and Gardenweb wish lists when I get around to posting the swap there), and posting that compiled list in this thread. There are people in the process of joining Tomatoville who currently can access this thread, but not the other one.

I also have to survive the State Fair food over the weekend.

Gary
Old September 19, 2014   #162
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

wow I love state fairs! Have a blast!
Old September 19, 2014   #163
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I also have to survive the State Fair food over the weekend.

&&&&&

You will but just in case buy a bottle of generic Tums.

If you see any of those Elephant Ears, the pastry, not the pachyderms, please send to me and tell me how much since I can't go to fairs now.

IS the fair still in Springfield? We used to drive over almost every year when I was a kid.I remember a man who was hawking a plastic slicer and cut off the tips of his fingers. That made the day for the First Aid folks.

So you know the Battenkill? That surprised me. But it does have a reputation for great trout fishing, or used to.

Carolyn
Old September 20, 2014   #164
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

OK, I'm throwing my ziplock bags in the ring.

If Gary is interested in distributing them as a bonus, I have seeds from 2 varieties of eggplant grown in isolation if anyone wants to request them. Ping Tung Long and Early Long Purple. 15 seeds per packet. I'll post my wish list on the other thread and send a PM as soon as I can get my ducks in a row. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2014   #165
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Okay you all, it is EARLIEST Monday. I hope you survived state fair ummm errr food. I know, cotton candy wrapped fried snicker bars with a side of bacon wrapped MSG sounded like a good idea, but are you guys okay?

I can't ask newbie questions if you are not here to answer.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote