Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 16, 2016   #151
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

YEs, lots of fruit on the way. Very nice.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #152
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Big Ol' Walla Walla onion
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160415_100249-768x1365.jpg (270.0 KB, 132 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #153
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have been seeing these at the farmers market with the flower still on the end for a whopping 5.99 per pound
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160415_095454-800x450.jpg (100.8 KB, 134 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old April 16, 2016   #154
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Were these from my Brandywine Cherry Dark seeds? Or is this the BCPink? Seeds from me at all on these?
Bump.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #155
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Bump.
These were Brandywine Cherry and came from last years MMMM swap. When i grew them last year they seemed to be Brandywine Cherry Pink, grew true to type, and showed no signs of chartreuse foliage. I was unable to save seed because my wife liked this variety too much and ate every last one of them. I used the same seeds from last years swap this year so its possible there was a seed mix up or a accidental cross from the seed i received. Only time will tell now.
Old April 16, 2016   #156
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
YEs, lots of fruit on the way. Very nice.
Thanks mi amigo! Trying no to bore anyone with pics of the same varieties but they change so often is hard not to want to.
Old April 16, 2016   #157
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do you have anymore of the Walla Walla onions growing?
If so they have not began to bulb up yet.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #158
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
These were Brandywine Cherry and came from last years MMMM swap. When i grew them last year they seemed to be Brandywine Cherry Pink, grew true to type, and showed no signs of chartreuse foliage. I was unable to save seed because my wife liked this variety too much and ate every last one of them. I used the same seeds from last years swap this year so its possible there was a seed mix up or a accidental cross from the seed i received. Only time will tell now.
Oh good. I thought I might actually have the first documented case of a cross on my hands from my garden. Not yet, hahahaha!
My BCD are growing right next to my Cherokee Tiger Black Pear. As you know the CT line has Chartreuse foliage.

BTW- I grew BCPink, they had PL. I think yours is a cross due to the RL, and the different colors foliage.

Nice photos, healthy looking garden, great stuff!
Old April 16, 2016   #159
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Do you have anymore of the Walla Walla onions growing?
If so they have not began to bulb up yet.

Worth
Yeah this one was a double header so it was a bit smaller. The problem im facing is they keep trying to go to seed. I keep cutting the seed pods off but they are relentless.
Old April 17, 2016   #160
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yeah this one was a double header so it was a bit smaller. The problem im facing is they keep trying to go to seed. I keep cutting the seed pods off but they are relentless.
Cutting the seed pod off will do noting there isn't anything you can do once they go to seed.

I'm just surprised you are growing Walla Walla a long day length onion.
It looks like there are 20 leaves on the onion which tell me they aren't getting enough day light hours to bulb up.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; April 17, 2016 at 12:12 AM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2016   #161
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

They are bulbing up so so. Some are huge some are leeks Walla walla was 1 of 2 the starts i could find local at the time. I started a bit late for our area so seed was not an option. The next planting will be from seed. Im about to pull all of them and plant 60 more tomato plants. You know because i need 60 more plants to maintain
Old April 17, 2016   #162
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh good. I thought I might actually have the first documented case of a cross on my hands from my garden. Not yet, hahahaha!
My BCD are growing right next to my Cherokee Tiger Black Pear. As you know the CT line has Chartreuse foliage.

BTW- I grew BCPink, they had PL. I think yours is a cross due to the RL, and the different colors foliage.

Nice photos, healthy looking garden, great stuff!
Im about 95% sure that the supposed Brandywine Cherry i grew last year was an RL plant. It matched the description and according to my wife were 2nd only to Purple Haze F1 last year. I guess i will see what i get from the 3 RL plants this year.
Old April 17, 2016   #163
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Im about 95% sure that the supposed Brandywine Cherry i grew last year was an RL plant. It matched the description and according to my wife were 2nd only to Purple Haze F1 last year. I guess i will see what i get from the 3 RL plants this year.
I hope you post about it, it'll be fun to look and see. This whole thread is fun.
Old April 17, 2016   #164
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I hope you post about it, it'll be fun to look and see. This whole thread is fun.
Why thank you. I will definitely be posting updates.
Old April 17, 2016   #165
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am liking your ingenuity- the shelf for the plants is a great idea. Very smart and creative.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote