Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 7, 2015   #151
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
My home was built in 1978 by an elderly couple who had it built with their advanced years in mind. The doors are all extra width to accomodate wheelchairs, etc., but since it's built on rock the lower part in front had to be down that 8 inch step, actually there are two steps, one 8 inch one on either side of that large room, one accessed from the kitchen which leads down to the dining room side and the one I use the most that leads from the hallway that goes to the back of the house.

Yes, building a ramp has been discussed many times. My nephew is handicapped physically, but not mentally and is very smart, just like his Aunt Carolyn, ahem, so my brother has lots of experience building ramps for him wherever they lived.

For a ramp, each inch equals one foot, so any ramp built would extend out 8 ft into the LV and be hammered into the beautiful parquet floor and there's an excellent rug that covers most of it.It's either a Couristan or Karistan rug that I paid lots of money for from Macey's when I moved into the apt in Latham before I moved here.

I've been up and down that step many times each day since I moved here and the only time I fell doing so was when it turned out I had a potassium level of 2.4 and split my head open, ended up in the ER with 9 stitches and was then transferred to the cardiac unit and by IV got that level up to over 4.0 before I could go home and I've been on K and MG++ since then.

So about 15 years here with just that one fall and Martha, who I hired is now helping me by preparing my food had the same problem as well and her DH barely got her to the hospital before she too ended up in the cardiac unit.

So I do expect to be able to get out there again as soon as Kristin, my PT person, monitors me and makes a decision. I've known Kristin before and she actually has an MS in PT and I trust her decision.

I'm trying to get along here, I really am, and yes, being out there it's a long roll with the walker to get back up that step to my bathroom.A major complication is that I also have what's called stress incontinence and have taken pills for that as well, but as my former local MD said, it gives me just a few seconds more which is not enough extra time.

Carolyn
There is no need to destroy the floor, nor go out 8 feet, as long as you can clear 1 inch. Think elderly couples stepping up into RV's and I know you could have something you loved that was portable. You're great at researching things and probably could find something better than I could come up whether new or from an elderly couple no longer needing it used but likely in like new condition.

Maybe something along these lines?

No, not ramps, or it won't look homey. Reminds me of my parents. Dad always complained Mom was covering up the beautiful floor and one of the benefits of living in the house was enjoying the floor they paid for. Whether you need the step or it is just a nicety really is moot, if it will make clearing the step a pleasure allowing you to come and go as you please instead of a challenge or having people worry about it. Physical therapy is a great place for challenges in a controlled environment.

About the incontinence which hopefully is only for the trauma and will leave you be. Before my Mom became paralized from progressive degenerative disease, we walked on the beach every day. When it hit her, it was difficult for me to understand and this made our last mobile months miserable. I solved that by getting her nice skirts or dresses to wear and a GoGirl for under $10. They are warm foam rubber and I can squeeze one in my fist as I walk along as if nothing were in my hand, they are so small. Mom wounldn't wear adult shorts and this aid did the trick along with baby wipes, which is more hygienic than most.

Just some ideas to mull over if they might add quality or joy. It's worth reviewing what's out there

Last edited by FLRedHeart; February 7, 2015 at 05:53 PM.
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #152
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

You are in my prayers.
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #153
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
I am so very glad to hear that you are recuperating at home. I wish you a speedy recovery.

JEff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #154
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Goddess is back!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2015   #155
tam91
Tomatovillian™

A small thing, but I wonder if you would like a tablet (for when you can't get to the computer).
Old February 8, 2015   #156
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
A small thing, but I wonder if you would like a tablet (for when you can't get to the computer).
That's very kind of you but right now I can get to my computer several times a day.

My local computer man Wayne has in the past tried to convince me to use a tablet and I'm pretty sure he would have one to lend to me since he maintains about 400 computers at a local K thru 12 school. A few years ago he leant me a monitor when mine went bad until he ordered a new one for me.

Carolyn
Old February 9, 2015   #157
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Well that is great news!

Tablets look kind of fun and handy though, I've vaguely considered one. I'm glad you don't need one now though.
Old February 9, 2015   #158
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Nope, the bed can't be moved to the LR/DR, which is 2/3 of the large hexagon that my home has, and one tep up from that, the other thrird, is the kitchen and the rest of my home is on that level and that includes my bedroom where I am now, and my bathroom with shower, the Master bathroom and then the back room which I call my tomato seed packing room, but it's more than that.

Those who have been here whch includes my brother Dave and family, Craig LeHoullier and wife Sue, Mike from Victory Seeds and Mischka also, as well as Ken Benz from SESE can tell you that no bed can fit in front part of the hexagon.

For those of you who haven't seen the pictures Craig ( nctomatoman) took when he was here, here's a link to those

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18335

Carolyn, where we are going to be hit by mega snow from late today until at least Tuesday. Sigh. But Freda should be able to get in here with her big red truck if some plowing is done as well as my driveway. I'm not supposed to leave my bedroom at all, but, well, we'll see. if I haveno food back here. Actually I'm more worried about food and water for my old cat.
I am glad you are dong better too. Thanks for sharing the Picture of You and nctomatoman.

I wish I can sing to you.
Farmer, Joyce Beggs
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #159
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Glad to know your doing better Carolyn. Just take it slow and easy. Glad you have some help around you. Hoping you stay safe during these nasty blizzard snow storms up your way.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #160
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here's to your good health and a a timely recovery.
Hugs and kisses to the cat kid too.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #161
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys for your support.

But now new problems have popped up and new medicines to keep track of and what I need is a secretary to keep track of all this stuff. My cat knows all about this but cannot verbalize back to me.

Kristin, my PT, was here today and has allowed me to go more places in my home, some only when someone is here, some not. What I want most of all is to get back to my LV/DR so I can relax in my recliner chair and watch my tennis and other programs I like but Kristin says that's several weeks away and no promises.

My local MD has said to slowly transition back to my normal way of eating, which made Martha and Freda laugh a lot, saying if only she knew.

And this unrellenting snow and cold has impacted who can come here and when.

Carolyn
Old February 12, 2015   #162
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Hang in there, follow orders as much as possible and get better soon. Remember, there is a large stash of chocolate at the end of the rainbow waiting to be eaten in a few weeks.
Old February 12, 2015   #163
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

Good to have you back Carolyn.

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #164
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

With cats, there's also that whole no opposable thumb thing... I'm glad you've got your cat there, I just wish the weather would give you a break so others could be there too.

Stay warm, spring has to come eventually!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2015   #165
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
After Gallbladder Surgery: Foods to Avoid

While your body adjusts, it is a good idea to avoid high-fat foods for a few weeks after having gallbladder surgery. High-fat foods include:
  • Foods that are fried, like French fries and potato chips
  • High-fat meats, such as bacon, bologna, sausage, ground beef, and ribs
  • High-fat dairy products, such as cheese, ice cream, cream, whole milk, and sour cream
  • Pizza
  • Foods made with lard or butter
  • Creamy soups or sauces
  • Meat gravies
  • Chocolate
  • Oils, such as palm and coconut oil
  • Skin of chicken or turkey
Carolyn, you see the one I put in bold letters right.

You have a speedy recovery.

Ami
Basically, just avoid anything that tastes good or comes from the south.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote