Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 3, 2012   #151
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

These are the steps I take to connect:

1. Unscrew the connector to the 'open' position. (opposite to that shown on your orange connector)

2. rinse connector with water or brush to completely clean debris from connector barbs and rinse inside fitting connector,(only with used fitting)

3 Insert tape over both barbs and past them until it won't go any farther.

4. screw orange 'holder' over both barbs as far as it will go. Give a tug on the tape to make sure it is installed.

For the barbed fitting into the poly it is important to make the correct size hole for each size barb and the hole has to be perfectly round (don't use a screwdriver like I do). The hole should be considerably smaller than the narrow part of the barb to effect a seal and act as it's own gasket. After making the hole, wet the barb with water and insert into hole. After the barb is in the poly I give it a slight pull to back it up to the fat part of the barb.

With the right matches the system you are using shouldn't leak.
Good Luck!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2012   #152
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Also I see you are using the 10mil tape. it is harder to get a seal at the connector than the thin wall tape but not that much. You should be able to get at least 2 seasons of use from it.
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irrigation , watering