Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 19, 2016   #1576
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Ginny, there is only one thing I would add to your list. I start tomato plants for family and friends and am happy to baby them up to a point. There comes that time when I cannot wait to get rid of them and only take care my own. Right now they are all in their homes except for my daughter. She is a teacher with young children and with school just starting wants to wait until the end of the month. I almost did a drive by drop off today but decided I would hang in there until she is ready.
Oh yeah that would be a pain especially with how many you start. Thats very funny about a drive by tomato drop off... :-) I can totally picture it.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2016   #1577
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
How did your Sungolds do?

Ginny
Not me. I've never tried Sungold. However, I was very pleased with most of my spring tomatoes - Pink Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, German Striped did the best.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #1578
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Good Harvest Ginny - I guess you don't need too much sun.

We're going hiking in VA and rented a house w/o internet so I probably won't be posting for a week. The house was $150 less than one with internet.

I'm bringing some of my seeds/mix. The dwarfs I sowed and leaving on the porch thinking their future fat stems can handle not getting leggy.

---
Early in the week I pulled my Alpha Beta out (b/c of leaving town); they produced 330 cucumbers with about 10 on the vine.

My replacement plant (Sweet Success) was started so I would have flowers while I'm gone; Unfortunately it is ahead of schedule and today I picked 4 huge cucumbers - I took pics but no time to post them. One was 14" the others were at least 12". Tomorrow before I leave I will pick anything big.

I also found that wrapping in Saran Wrap makes the shelf life much longer. Publix does that and sells them for $2.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2016   #1579
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

It was the sparkly shade/sun that made the difference. All day long off and on the sun would hit different areas of the garden for a few minutes here and there as it rolled by and was able to shine through the trees a bit. I didn't know if it would help but it did. During may and june the sun was up by 530am until between 8 or 9 at night. So even though they only got 3 to 4 hours of full direct sunlight they apparently got enough sun sparkling though the trees off and on all day to do their thing.

Thats amazing on the cucumbers. Have a great trip!!

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old August 20, 2016   #1580
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Holy moly, 45 pounds of tomatoes processed into sauce and salsa. Well not quite through just cooking down the last batch of sauce.

Marsha thank you so much for cluing me in to a food mill. We got one and love it. I havent made the ketchup yet but will.

Thank you Ella and Barb for your help and advice as well!!

Ginny
Old August 20, 2016   #1581
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
Not me. I've never tried Sungold. However, I was very pleased with most of my spring tomatoes - Pink Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, German Striped did the best.
Oh sorry for the mix up. You have the rope trellis system right?

Ginny
Old August 20, 2016   #1582
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

We're here and we saw a WIFI Password and wallah we DO have internet and saved $150 to boot. Glad DH brought his laptop. It is nice and cool here.

Ginny - great job on the sauce. We all need to keep track of our FL harvests like Ella does; maybe not doing as bad as we think. I know my kitchen table was full of tomatoes for a few months but still didn't think I did well.

GINNY - it was MAXJOHNSON from S. FL growing the Sungolds - posted earlier on this thread - post 1424

Last edited by Barb_FL; August 20, 2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old August 21, 2016   #1583
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb so glad you have wifi... :-) i am going to try to keep track this fall but i am a very spurty person more than slow and steady... lol. But I am curious too.

Marsha, i was showing the picture of your Mango tree to hubby and we were wondering how old it is. Its a kent right? That still makes my jaw drop when I look at the picture of it with all that fruit.

All done canning. 36 pints and 36 half pints if sauce and salsa from 6 different recipes.

Packed away the mill and other canning supplies in the pot for the trip home.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; August 21, 2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old August 21, 2016   #1584
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it's a grafted Kent that I planted from a 3 gallon size tree in 1995. I think it cost $27 originally. I bought it from a tree nursery in Homestead, along with 2 banana varieties that are both producing 3-4 stalks a year from their " pups"
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2016   #1585
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I have wi fi in use too. We are in California enjoying cool dry weather, and doing hiking. Back home on the 31, just in time to start seeds first week back.
Old August 21, 2016   #1586
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I have wi fi in use too. We are in California enjoying cool dry weather, and doing hiking. Back home on the 31, just in time to start seeds first week back.
Oh awsome! Which part of Cali?

How many years before it produced fruit again? I think you mentioned it before but i cant remember.

Ginny
Old August 21, 2016   #1587
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Central and Northern Cali all over the place. The Kent produced a few fruits the second year.
Old August 21, 2016   #1588
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Glad everyone is staying in touch. Have a great vacation Marsha.

Ginny - I bought my grafted Kent from Sun Harbor Nursery in Indian Harbour Beach in February of 2013. It was also in a 3 gallon black nursery container and was $39.
It was small (obviously) but produced 4 full size mangos that 2013 summer. The mangos were so large compared to the tree that they were about an inch from ground when I picked them. Delicious.

The next year (2014) was a terrible year for mangos in Brevard County; probably b/c the winter alternated from really cold to really hot. I didn't get any that summer.

2015 I had 11 or 14…can't remember but was happy.

2016, I left 2 on the tree, picked 12 and brought them up here (against DH wishes) but thought they would take more time to ripen than picked and left at home. I didn't want to get the seed gel rot that Marsha spoke about.

Altogether I had 64 on the tree this year; I am ecstatic! I thought early on there were 40. Only lost 2 to animals; tulle really helped with this.

2016 was an EXCELLENT year for Mangos throughout Florida.

You need to try; not really a huge investment; If you check it out, mangos grow/produce up through Indian River County and Merritt Island which is in Brevard County. I live in Brevard Cty on the barrier island and they were prolific here and probably Melbourne area too. That is where DH saw them on a road side stand for $.20 each.

-----
My other tree, a Choc-Anon was purchased in Miami (I didn't pick it out, several of us paid guys knowledgable in mangos to buy them) in Summer of 2012, in a 5 gallon container and was about $48. It didn't produce anything until this spring and started to doubt I bought a grafted tree. Loads but they are small. They taste way better than I expected; It is not anyones favorite but gets consideration b/c it is suppose to fruit 2 times a year so good for snow birds.

I definitely recommend the Kent; I'm sure Marsha agrees.
Old August 21, 2016   #1589
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, you cant go wrong with a Kent. I had more than 400 this year, and I did nothing to it but cast some cheapo citrus lime avocado fert out to the dripline once per year, in January. It is recommended to trim it back once ler year after fruiting is over.
Another one extremely highly rated is Nam Doc Mai- kidney shaped and much earlier than Kent (round)which us late but with very large fruit.
Kent is completely fiberless, and won the Fairchild Gardens Mango Tasting last year, I think it was. Beat out over 40 varieties.
You have tasted them dried.

Barb- What makes a mango season most successcul is lack of rain when the blossoms are out. Staying wet gives them fungus and the blossoms rot. Also trimming back lets.new.growth out to.form more buds. You can even hatrack a fruit tree.
Old August 25, 2016   #1590
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Oh sorry for the mix up. You have the rope trellis system right?

Ginny
That's me!
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote