Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 1, 2016   #136
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Just gorgeous! I am excited that I have two Padron pepper plants, I have never eaten one and am so looking forward to them. Your plants are so beautiful and healthy, I am already battling the bugs on cucumbers and eggplants. How do you keep the bugs away?
Hi Jillian,

I use the yellow sticky fly traps mostly. My biggest problem here is with leaf diseases due to the humidity.

Have you tried the sticky traps?

I hope you like the padrons!!

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #137
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Very nice plants Ginny! Everything is looking good!

My husband would drool over those grilled Padron peppers!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #138
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I think you're going to have to start a new thread, because your garden isn't looking at all impossible. Quite the contrary!
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #139
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Ginny! The Padrons were so good. We are looking forward to trying them stuffed with different kinds of cheese and other things but they are good just like they are also.

SjamesNorway.... we are so close to the salt water (25 yards away), the winds howl, the humidity is relentless and the rains unpredictably incessant. But with all of the help from the good folks on this forum and one other, the impossible garden has become possible. I might just have to change the name... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old May 2, 2016   #140
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I cant say all of the plants are beautiful but they are loading up with tomatoes... :-)

Ginny
Old May 2, 2016   #141
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, I neglected somehow to order those yellow sticky traps when I was placing my garden supplies order with Amazon. I am going to have to get some, the neem oil wasn't working so I began spraying Sevin and now the leaves look worse. I don't know why I always have problems with cucurbits. And this is my first year trying eggplant and from the way it is going it may be the last. Thankfully my tomatoes and peppers are not affected.....but I will feel better once I get the yellow sticky traps on everything.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016   #142
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

This is one crazy cool tomato! It is so unique and beautiful and then when it ripens its even prettier. Taste is awesome. Everybody loves it. It is a pink tomato bred by Jason Haynes from a pink off type of German Red Strawberry crossed with the original OSU Blue tomato line (I hope I got that right ). I am going to plant 5 or 6 of these in the fall. Great for fresh eating, heart shape with limited juice or seeds so great for sauce, early, super productive and yum yum yum.

It's called Sgt Peppers and it is a pink heart with antho and wispy leaves.

Love love love this one
Old May 2, 2016   #143
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Ginny, I neglected somehow to order those yellow sticky traps when I was placing my garden supplies order with Amazon. I am going to have to get some, the neem oil wasn't working so I began spraying Sevin and now the leaves look worse. I don't know why I always have problems with cucurbits. And this is my first year trying eggplant and from the way it is going it may be the last. Thankfully my tomatoes and peppers are not affected.....but I will feel better once I get the yellow sticky traps on everything.
Jillian

I'm not that crazy about growing them either. Tomatoes and peppers are the ones I love to grow more and as long as those are doing well the others are just for distraction to see what happens... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old May 2, 2016   #144
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

A few more... :-)

Ginny
Old May 3, 2016   #145
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Do the yellow sticky traps work with stink bugs? I have tanglefoot and big yellow plastic cups.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #146
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Do the yellow sticky traps work with stink bugs? I have tanglefoot and big yellow plastic cups.
Ginger2778 (aka Marsha) is the expert on yellow sticky traps so she would know. I havent had any stink bugs (knock on wood) but probably sure to get them now!! Lol

Ginny
Old May 3, 2016   #147
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

This is Pink Berkeley Tie Dye on top and Surpriz (from unstable seed) on bottom. They are basically identical in the looks department. Havent tasted them yet. Will be interesting to see if they taste as similar as they look.

Ginny
Old May 3, 2016   #148
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Taste test of Surpriz (on the left above) side by side with Pink Berkeley Tie Dye (on the right above). Sliced there is definitely a difference in appearance and as for taste, they were similar but the Surpriz had a different after taste.... almost like a hint of meat flavor like if you had sprinkled a few grains of chicken bouillon on it (just a couple grains). PBTD edged out Surpriz by a hair. Hubby didnt know which was which and he picked PBTD also but just by a hair as well. But Sgt Peppers because it is less watery and just as flavorful is the winner so far.

Next to ripen will probably be Brads Black Heart. Loving trying so many new to us types this season.

PBTD and Sgt Peppers will both be in the fall garden. Productivity and ease of growth in my garden for both of these are outstanding.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; May 3, 2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old May 3, 2016   #149
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Is anyone else's garden fading now in all this heat?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2016   #150
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Mine isn't yet. But I'm sure it will soon. Most of my plants are full of tomatoes that are mostly full size and getting ready to ripen. Except Pink Brandywine which was a major dud. Should havd tried Sudduth Strain from what I recently read.

Are you growing okra this summer? I miss you!! Have had one family crisis after another... and work has been crazy busy.

Ginny