Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 29, 2013   #136
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Just ordered some Vegetable food and will order the Tomato food in a few weeks when the plant out is doing well and I start having flowers. I just seeded yesterday so it will be a few weeks. I am excited to see how different using this food will be.
Yay, got the email notice my order shipped today, I am not far from there so hopefully it will be just a couple of days.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #137
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Default Order came in today

Quote:
Yay, got the email notice my order shipped today, I am not far from there so hopefully it will be just a couple of days.
Yay, I just fed all my plants, beans, peppers, squash, onions, herbs. I can't wait to see the outcome of a couple of feedings.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 31, 2013   #138
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I need some kind of suction tool to get the tomato food out of the gallon jug, I spilled some doing it and I really don't like having wasted product down the drain.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 31, 2013   #139
TNTiger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I need some kind of suction tool to get the tomato food out of the gallon jug, I spilled some doing it and I really don't like having wasted product down the drain.
I had a bit of trouble managing the 1/2 Gallon jug. My hands just aren't big enough to hold the bottle in one hand and a tablespoon in the other. I just bought a nice little OXO 1/4 measuring cup that has tablespoon increments on it that should make this much easier for me!
TNTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #140
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Rockporter.....a gallon jug is difficult to pour tbls with. Shake it with lid on and then pour into a smaller cup that you can handle. We'd advise against any sort of suction pump, as the concentrate settles quickly. This is due to the high calcium content.

Thanks for trying our products......

Urbanfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #141
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Would it be feasible to decant it into a wide mouthed container?
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #142
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

I was wondering what to use myself. I bought the quart bottles and found I was spilling more than I wanted to. I saw these at the local Walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hoc...Glass/17693182 and thought they might work.

I was also wondering if we could use a bottle like this - http://www.amazon.com/Squeeze-Bottle...ref=pd_sbs_k_5 but didn't know how the fertilizer would react if stored in a different container that was more see-through and possibly not sealed as tightly as the original container.

I had even thought of a turkey baster, Flavor Injector, or even a large medical syringe but haven't tried either yet.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...2Cgarden%2C231

Last edited by ArthurDent004; August 1, 2013 at 01:51 AM.
ArthurDent004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #143
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurDent004 View Post
I was wondering what to use myself. I bought the quart bottles and found I was spilling more than I wanted to. I saw these at the local Walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hoc...Glass/17693182 and thought they might work.

I was also wondering if we could use a bottle like this - http://www.amazon.com/Squeeze-Bottle...ref=pd_sbs_k_5 but didn't know how the fertilizer would react if stored in a different container that was more see-through and possibly not sealed as tightly as the original container.

I had even thought of a turkey baster, Flavor Injector, or even a large medical syringe but haven't tried either yet.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...2Cgarden%2C231
Thanks Arthur, I have that little one but pouring from it is actually kind of difficult into a gallon jug. I did try it.

I also have the three set Anchor Hocking measuring cups and I will try the smallest one by pouring into it and using a tablespoon to measure It would be easy to pour back into the jug when I am finished.

Here is the link to the cups I got at Walmart years ago.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hoc...ndingMethod=rr

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 1, 2013   #144
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTiger View Post
I had a bit of trouble managing the 1/2 Gallon jug. My hands just aren't big enough to hold the bottle in one hand and a tablespoon in the other. I just bought a nice little OXO 1/4 measuring cup that has tablespoon increments on it that should make this much easier for me!
I think I am going to try this one, I already have the set so I am stealing the smallest one for the garden.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Anchor-Hoc...ndingMethod=rr

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 1, 2013   #145
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

I have some Anchor Hocking 2 cup and 4 cup measuring cups. Everything was fine until I switched from Palmolive to Cascade Complete dish washing detergent and the red lettering washed off the cups.
Old August 1, 2013   #146
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have some Anchor Hocking 2 cup and 4 cup measuring cups. Everything was fine until I switched from Palmolive to Cascade Complete dish washing detergent and the red lettering washed off the cups.
Those will still work for pouring into and using a tablespoon to measure out the product. That is so strange that dishwashing liquid would do that.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 1, 2013   #147
ArthurDent004
Tomatovillian™

I thought that myself but a search of the internet showed I wasn't alone in this. Check out the Amazon reviews of the set you bought - http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking.../dp/B001F0BNM8

One person contacted Anchor Hocking and got a replacement cup but the warranty on them is 4 or 5 years and I believe I've had them for this long so I haven't tried that.
Old August 1, 2013   #148
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I use a regular baster from the kitchen drawer. It reaches almost to the bottom of the 1 gallon TTF container. Mine even has Tablespoon measurements on it. I don't spill a drop any more.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #149
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I honestly find the easiest way to measure anything is by weight. I measure all of my soil mixes and fertilizers this way. And my baking, but not at the same time. Just measure the amount you want to use, weigh it once, and from then on, it's as simple as pouring into a container on the scale, which might be easier than trying to juggle spoons or measuring cups.

All of my glass measuring cups have some wear to the red, usually from the bottom up. I reached for my ounce glass the other day and it was completely worn off! I use ]Dawn and Ivory. :shrug:
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1, 2013   #150
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I thought that myself but a search of the internet showed I wasn't alone in this. Check out the Amazon reviews of the set you bought - http://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Hocking.../dp/B001F0BNM8

One person contacted Anchor Hocking and got a replacement cup but the warranty on them is 4 or 5 years and I believe I've had them for this long so I haven't tried that.
Interesting, I put mine in the dishwasher but I have had them for at least 10 years. Maybe there is something different on the manufacture of them. I wonder too if the instructions say not to put in the dishwasher.

~Margaret Atwood~