Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 6, 2015   #136
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! You're back! Take it easy. I agree, get your bed moved so life can get somewhat less complicated for you.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #137
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn it good to hear from you. Take it easy and get lots of rest and don't overdo it. We all will be here waiting to hear from you again as you start to get around better.

Thinking of you.
Dwight
mrdoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #138
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

So very happy to see you posting. Take your time please, and get better.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #139
topazgirl170
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear you at home and doing better

Carolyn did not know you were a tennis fan . So am I and my mother. AO was really great on the women's side this year.
topazgirl170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #140
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Nope, the bed can't be moved to the LR/DR, which is 2/3 of the large hexagon that my home has, and one tep up from that, the other thrird, is the kitchen and the rest of my home is on that level and that includes my bedroom where I am now, and my bathroom with shower, the Master bathroom and then the back room which I call my tomato seed packing room, but it's more than that.

Those who have been here whch includes my brother Dave and family, Craig LeHoullier and wife Sue, Mike from Victory Seeds and Mischka also, as well as Ken Benz from SESE can tell you that no bed can fit in front part of the hexagon.

For those of you who haven't seen the pictures Craig ( nctomatoman) took when he was here, here's a link to those

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18335

Carolyn, where we are going to be hit by mega snow from late today until at least Tuesday. Sigh. But Freda should be able to get in here with her big red truck if some plowing is done as well as my driveway. I'm not supposed to leave my bedroom at all, but, well, we'll see. if I haveno food back here. Actually I'm more worried about food and water for my old cat.
Old February 7, 2015   #141
snugglekitten
BANNED

Dear Carolyn: you are in my thoughts and prayers, wishing you a speedy recovery.

edit: I see you are getting better, hurraaaah!!!
snugglekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #142
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

You'll figure out what you need to do. While we like the seed offers, we can do without them. What we would miss is you.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #143
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Nope, the bed can't be moved to the LR/DR, which is 2/3 of the large hexagon that my home has, and one tep up from that, the other thrird, is the kitchen and the rest of my home is on that level and that includes my bedroom where I am now, and my bathroom with shower, the Master bathroom and then the back room which I call my tomato seed packing room, but it's more than that.

Those who have been here whch includes my brother Dave and family, Craig LeHoullier and wife Sue, Mike from Victory Seeds and Mischka also, as well as Ken Benz from SESE can tell you that no bed can fit in front part of the hexagon.

For those of you who haven't seen the pictures Craig ( nctomatoman) took when he was here, here's a link to those

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=18335

Carolyn, where we are going to be hit by mega snow from late today until at least Tuesday. Sigh. But Freda should be able to get in here with her big red truck if some plowing is done as well as my driveway. I'm not supposed to leave my bedroom at all, but, well, we'll see. if I haveno food back here. Actually I'm more worried about food and water for my old cat.
http://nctomatoman.weebly.com/garden...orld-didnt-end
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #144
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, glad you are improving and able to access your computer now and then. Sounds like you are getting more people over to help in your recovery and daily care, which is great.

My mom had a very tiny house, but we were able to rent a hospital bed which went in place of her favored rocker recliner in her living room when she became mostly bed bound. It was crowded, but she had access to more window watching and her TV, and it was just cheerier than being in her bedroom all the time. Before that, she used to spend a lot of time in her comfy rocker recliner, and even slept there many nights. But maybe your extra step up/down is your main deterrent, certainly not worth another fall!

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #145
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like access to a bathroom from the living room would be a big issue as well.

Sorry to hear the home you obviously love is presenting such challenges. It's something we talk about frequently here as I've seen so many struggle to stay in their homes when their mobility becomes restricted. My husband and I plan to stay put for the foreseeable future and I already have a contingency plan if and when the day comes that we can't manage the stairs to the basement laundry room. Everything else is on one level and their are no stairs to our back door.

We didn't buy the house with our "advanced years" in mind. I don't many younger people even give it a thought when they are house hunting.

Stay warm and safe during this next round of snow. The flakes have just started falling here...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #146
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

Get well soon! I had my gall bladder out about 15 years back, and boy, was I glad I got it done. Once you heal up, you'll be very glad, too!! May you not be cursed with 'dumping syndrome' afterwards like I was! Feel better very soon.
Old February 7, 2015   #147
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, Consider thinking out of the box with all that beautiful house you can't have the simple pleasure of completely enjoying. Furniture could be reorganized; you could have two beds, and a small step lift or platform to get the most out of your house. Lots of options if which will serve you well when you are fully recovered. Limited by your own creativity, these things can make a huge difference to have available whether they are needed daily or not. I could moderate a forum on how to be a helper, but will leave it at "some direct experience".
FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #148
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

My home was built in 1978 by an elderly couple who had it built with their advanced years in mind. The doors are all extra width to accomodate wheelchairs, etc., but since it's built on rock the lower part in front had to be down that 8 inch step, actually there are two steps, one 8 inch one on either side of that large room, one accessed from the kitchen which leads down to the dining room side and the one I use the most that leads from the hallway that goes to the back of the house.

Yes, building a ramp has been discussed many times. My nephew is handicapped physically, but not mentally and is very smart, just like his Aunt Carolyn, ahem, so my brother has lots of experience building ramps for him wherever they lived.

For a ramp, each inch equals one foot, so any ramp built would extend out 8 ft into the LV and be hammered into the beautiful parquet floor and there's an excellent rug that covers most of it.It's either a Couristan or Karistan rug that I paid lots of money for from Macey's when I moved into the apt in Latham before I moved here.

I've been up and down that step many times each day since I moved here and the only time I fell doing so was when it turned out I had a potassium level of 2.4 and split my head open, ended up in the ER with 9 stitches and was then transferred to the cardiac unit and by IV got that level up to over 4.0 before I could go home and I've been on K and MG++ since then.

So about 15 years here with just that one fall and Martha, who I hired is now helping me by preparing my food had the same problem as well and her DH barely got her to the hospital before she too ended up in the cardiac unit.

So I do expect to be able to get out there again as soon as Kristin, my PT person, monitors me and makes a decision. I've known Kristin before and she actually has an MS in PT and I trust her decision.

I'm trying to get along here, I really am, and yes, being out there it's a long roll with the walker to get back up that step to my bathroom.A major complication is that I also have what's called stress incontinence and have taken pills for that as well, but as my former local MD said, it gives me just a few seconds more which is not enough extra time.

Carolyn
Old February 7, 2015   #149
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, why not have someone build a single step to split the rise to 4" or a double step to split the rise into 3 - 2 5/8" steps. Claud

You could use something similar to this to fasten the new step to the existing riser so it could be easily removed but held firmly in place when needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Platte-River-F...+mount+hangers

Last edited by saltmarsh; February 7, 2015 at 04:10 PM.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2015   #150
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Carolyn, So glad you are getting better and I hope all your home stuff gets sorted out.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote