Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2012   #136
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

The garden is really taking off this week with the nights finally staying above 50deg. We got a light frost on the 15th, but didn't have any damage to beans, tomatoes, squash or eggplants. I don't have any blooms yet, but all looking strong and green. I spent the day putting bark mulch down all the walk ways and tomorrow will use straw to mulch the sweetpotatoes that I got in the mail yesterday and planted right before sunset.
Old April 20, 2012   #137
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I have blooms but not a lot of fruit set. Getting a little anxious that I'm not going to set much fruit before the hot weather hits. I feel like I'm behind last year, although I am actually ahead of schedule, as far as plant-out dates. I think it's just that we've had more weather fluctuations and my plants haven't grown as fast.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #138
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

My plants are just exploding in growth, I am getting lots of blooms, and fruit set. Hopefully I will have a good year, I really need it! The last two years were bad for me. I want to go fishing tonight, but really need to stay home and spray and finish planting out , and getting cages on plants. Ugh too much to do, not enough time.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2012   #139
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

GO FISHIN!..............LOL.
Old April 20, 2012   #140
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I need to get my t-posts and wire up for trellising the tomatoes. They are really getting big this week.
Old April 20, 2012   #141
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

How are the peppers doing?
Old April 20, 2012   #142
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlzbn View Post
How are the peppers doing?
They look great. I have put them out yet because I'm building a new raised bed. I think I'm going to put a bunch in containers because the manure in the bed needs seasoning. I'll do that Sunday.
I think I'll put my shade up early, proabably this weekend when I have some time, my tomatoes are showing a tiny bit of leaf curl.
I do have a bunch of fruit set that wasn't there a few days ago, though and a little tomato on my Blush plant!
Old April 21, 2012   #143
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

If anyone is out in Marana today, I an selling plants if you need any, mention tomatoville and you get them free!
Old April 21, 2012   #144
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
If anyone is out in Marana today, I an selling plants if you need any, mention tomatoville and you get them free!
That's awesome! I'm thinking about doing some Farmer's Markets this summer. What do you find are your best sellers? I'm planning on basil, peppers, tomatoes, eggplants ( seasonally, of course). Other herbs, as well. Chocolate mint, spearmint, whatever I can easily start from my garden and seeds.
What do you think would be good in the dead of summer?
Old April 21, 2012   #145
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I don't know that is when I hibernate on the house as much as possible. I can't take the heat so I only go out late at night & early in the morning
Old April 21, 2012   #146
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Wondering if it would help tomatoes to it up a mister system under the shade to run a little while each day for cooling? Anybody ever tried it?
Old April 21, 2012   #147
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Yes it works pretty well, I have a set up on a timer in my greenhouse for the misters, the plants do pretty good under it
Old April 21, 2012   #148
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Which do you think is better, morning, afternoon or evening mist? I won't be able to mist it frequently due to work but once or twice a day is probably doable.
How can I set up a simple hose mister on a timer?
Old April 22, 2012   #149
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Tracy, I just use a 1/4 tubing hose end adaptor connected to the timer, then put a fogger on the other end and then run the fogger in front of my fan, set the timer to come on about every 2 hours for 15 min or so. I will take pictures so you can see
Old April 22, 2012   #150
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Tracy, I just use a 1/4 tubing hose end adaptor connected to the timer, then put a fogger on the other end and then run the fogger in front of my fan, set the timer to come on about every 2 hours for 15 min or so. I will take pictures so you can see
Thanks! I really need to go make some shade for my poor potatoes and tomatoes.the potatoes are withering from the heat. But, we spent the morning putting up the trellis and it's just too hot. I would have gotten some shad up for the potatoes yesterday but I need two more t-posts driven.
And, now the AC died and it's just miserable!