Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2008   #1
oldgaredneck
Tomatovillian™

Default This year's choices for us....

Have got 'maters and pepper plants started - they're sitting on a table behind me in front of a southern window. Looking ok - getting their first set of true leaves. will move them to pots sometime soon, and transplant them into the garden the first week of May, weather permitting (if I'm incapacitated due to possible heart surgery, the wife and our great niece will plant them and bag/tag some of the blossoms...)

So far we have started 6 plants each of the following varieties - will thin them to the best 2 or 3 plants when we transplant.

Peppers - Hungarian Spice, Jimmy Nardello's, Sweet Cherry and Peter Pepper

Tomatillos - Zuni and Mexicali (American Indian heirloom varieties - smaller and tastier than "modern" tomatillos)

Tomatos -
Prescott Heirloom
Lancaster Big Pink
Glamour
Pineapple Beefsteak
Hillbilly
Supersweet 100
Italian Oxheart
Delicious
Wisconsin 55 Gold (a repeat from last year, and a keeper, taste-wise!)
Brandywine
Ponderosa Red (grew the yellow last year)
Big Rainbow
Omar of Lebanon
Watermelon Beefsteak
Giant Pink Belgium
Leathas Italian
Punta Bunda Heirloom
Black Cherry

Lastly, I've got some Texas Wild we're going to plant in a clearing in the back woods. Doing these as an experiment . If they are "spitters", at least they'll feed the wildlife....
Old March 17, 2008   #2
biermaster
Tomatovillian™

Default Prescott tomato

I see that the 1st on the list is this one. I grew it last year but it did not do well in my location and in a container. It did not last more that enough to give me about 3 fruit. Have you grown these before and what did you think of them. I got my seed from Native Seed Search who really did not tell me much about them other than they were grown in the Prescott Valley and sold in the local stands. Mine were more of a salad type about 2-3 oz. and good tomato flavor. Much like the Camp Joy size and shape.
Old March 18, 2008   #3
oldgaredneck
Tomatovillian™

This will be my first year growing these - got the seeds from a friend who got them from Native Seed - hopefully here in Georgia we will have a better year for tomatos than we did last year....