Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 4, 2008   #16
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know Red either. But he's smiling down on you now, knowing he has done his job as a seed saver and much much more....very sad.

-Jimmy
JimmyWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2008   #17
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I was saddened to hear about Big Red but am glad you let us know because obviously he had many friends in the gardening community that thought a lot of him. I remember how helpful and nice he was to me in the few brief messages we exchanged here. You knew instantly that this was a nice man.

Don
Old March 4, 2008   #18
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default My message of sympathy to his son

Raymond, I became acquainted with your Dad soon after he relocated here to Kentucky. We exchange seed and emails regarding our gardening interests. Then three/four years ago He and your Mom attended the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy Fall Conference and we were able to pick up where we left off with our last correspondence. His move south to Kentucky always seemed like a positive change for him; it was like coming home.
What saddens me is that I also lost another dear gardening friend last spring; he lived a short distance from me and also corresponded with your Dad. His name was Bert Searcy (Spider)..
Your Dad also posted at Tomatoville.com . I took the liberty of posting the information and your short note to DG at this gardening site as well. He had friends here and there have been lots of posts expressing their sympathy and sorrow. If you would like I can copy those and send to you or your Mom.
Please know we feel your sadness and loss as well. Our gardening sites are basically extended family and community and when something happens to one of us we all are affected. Many folks have you in their heart with thoughts and prayers at this time. He was our friend, our confident, our inspiration and he gave encouragement when needed. Indeed, he was our friend and we shall miss him each season of our lives!
Gary
Old March 4, 2008   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I don’t do deaths well and it really hurts me when I hear that someone has passed away.
Sometimes when a forum member does not post for a while I start to fear that something bad has happened.

Sometimes we never know what happens to folks.
Even though I am very saddened with the news that Big Red has passed on I am grateful that we all know what happened.

May the wind always be at your back and your tomatoes grow strong and tall, we will all miss you Big Red.

Happy gardening friend,

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2008   #20
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Friend and Gardener Dies

Those we love are never really lost to us; we feel them in so many special ways--
Through friends they always cared about and dreams they left behind, In beauty that they added to our days, In words of wisdom we still carry with us and memories that never will be gone
Those we love are never really lost to us, for everywhere their special love lives on.

And memories continue here for our dear friend, Red, and his love of gardening. The seasons will come and go and his spirit will linger in our hearts to be the best and share what we have with others.
Gary
Old March 6, 2008   #21
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Gary and everyone else who knew Big Red,
I'm so sorry to hear about his death. It does take me back to Bert/Spider's death, and it is sad. It is good to know though that like Bert, he shared lots of seeds with so many others.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote