Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old July 7, 2019   #106
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Cajun Style Chicken Stew

It's comfort food I grew up eating. I made a video you can see here.

Here's the recipe, the corn recipe is in the video.
Chicken Stew, aka Fricassee
FYI, chicken stew and fricassee is the same thing except you cook the chicken for fricassee vs adding raw chicken for chicken stew.
Ingredients:
Chicken: 3-5lbs. It’s usually a whole Hen cut up but can be made with fryers. Hens and roosters are older and the meat won’t fall off the bone like a fryer so be aware of the cooking time.
Veggies: All diced.
½ red and green bell pepper
1 large onion
2 stalks of celery
2 cloves of garlic, use more if you like garlic.
2 bunches of scallions, use the white part for cooking and the tops for garnish.
Roux:
1 cup of flour
¾ cup of oil, I use canola

I box of chicken broth, 32 oz Swansons
2 cups of water to add after it cooks down.
2 TBS plus 1 TSP of Cajun seasoning, pick your favorite but Tony’s is available everywhere and works good.

Instructions:
Season the chicken with 2 TBS of Cajun seasoning and bake it for 35 minutes at 400°
Start on the roux and make it as dark as you like or cheat and use Savoies dark roux.
Add the veggies when the roux is the color you want and sauté till translucent.
Add the broth a little at a time while stirring till it’s all mixed into a beautiful gravy. Season with 1 TSP of Cajun seasoning and cook at a low boil till it reduces by 25%, usually about 10 minutes. Add 2 cups of water, bring back to a high simmer and add the baked chicken. This is the time to add diced potatoes and boiled eggs if you wish, it’s common and both bring flavor especially the eggs with that savory gravy.
Cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken is tender to your liking.
Serve over rice with your favorite side but I always cook corn as a side. Check the video for a kicked up corn recipe.
Old July 8, 2019   #107
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I really hope your videos take off.
They are informative and not obnoxious.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2019   #108
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!!

I'll try to make them fun to watch without all the crazy antics most Cajun videos have. It's the first one so they should get better. Now I need to make them shorter and still provide all the information.

I'm open to suggestions so everyone is welcome to chime in!!
Old July 8, 2019   #109
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Really enjoyed the video!
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019   #110
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

It almost looks like chicken gumbo with the dark roux. Chicken and sausage gumbo in a dark roux over rice is one one my favorites. You had most of the "trinity" in it. It looks delicious. I can almost smell it from memory.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019   #111
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I am not sure what you are trying correct him about. As far as I know the "trinity" is bell pepper, celery and onions, all of which are in the recipe, so what are you referring to?
Old July 11, 2019   #112
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I am not sure what you are trying correct him about. As far as I know the "trinity" is bell pepper, celery and onions, all of which are in the recipe, so what are you referring to?

I would never, ever try to correct him. He is a much better cook than me due to his Cajun ancestry. Your correct, he did have the trinity with a few other things added like corn. It looked to me like a gumbo in the pot with the dark roux. That is a compliment instead of a criticism.
Old July 12, 2019   #113
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I guess I didn't understand the "most of the trinity" part of it. I thought you were saying he left out part of the trinity. I would not argue the trinity with someone from Louisiana, lol.
Old July 12, 2019   #114
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not all Cajuns cook alike.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2019   #115
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I guess I didn't understand the "most of the trinity" part of it. I thought you were saying he left out part of the trinity. I would not argue the trinity with someone from Louisiana, lol.

At first glance, I thought he did leave part of the trinity out, when in fact; he just added to it. I was wrong.
Old July 12, 2019   #116
bower
Tomatovillian™

Rob, I hope you have some of that sweet comfort food stashed away for the flood weather. If you get out and BBQ on the open waters... please charge up your camera before it hits. And stay safe, buddy.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2019   #117
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Rajun, is the corn recipe Maque Choux? Be safe in the storm!

Last edited by DonDuck; July 12, 2019 at 07:10 PM.
Old July 13, 2019   #118
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
It almost looks like chicken gumbo with the dark roux. Chicken and sausage gumbo in a dark roux over rice is one one my favorites. You had most of the "trinity" in it. It looks delicious. I can almost smell it from memory.
That's the same way you make gumbo, just add more stock or water then all of your meats/sausage/seafood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Rob, I hope you have some of that sweet comfort food stashed away for the flood weather. If you get out and BBQ on the open waters... please charge up your camera before it hits. And stay safe, buddy.
LOL! I'm stocked up with food, charcoal, propane, pellets for the smoker and the generator is ready to go if I need it. The weather isn't bad at all, just a few gusts and light rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Rajun, is the corn recipe Maque Choux? Be safe in the storm!
It's a light version of maque choux. MC is smothered longer without butter and usually it's made in big batches with fresh corn then frozen for future use.

Off topic but I've been using this interactive weather tool and it's amazing how much detail you can get from all the tools. Click in any area and it will give reported wind gust.
https://on.windy.com/2hjir
Old July 13, 2019   #119
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Great video Rajun! You must buy Tony's by the case. I cook for two and my better half will not let me season with that much Tony's. I would if I could. I will always watch your videos and anticipate your shrimp or crawfish etouffee. Great knife skills by the way. You can always tell a good cook by how well they use their knives.

Last edited by DonDuck; July 13, 2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old July 13, 2019   #120
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the compliments!!!

I actually don't use that much Tony's, it's too salty. I've been making my own and also using Cavender's Greek seasoning. Here's the mix.

2 tbs onion powder
2 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs cayenne
1 tbs ground celery seed
1 tbs ground mustard seed
1 tbs fine parsley
2 tbs Cavenders seasoning
1 tbs non iodized salt
1 TSP black pepper
1 TBS white pepper