Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old April 6, 2019   #61
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
For those of you that save seed . . .

-do you get much crossing? do I have to bag or are eggplants more like tomatoes?
I don't bag eggplant blossoms, but I only grow a couple cultivars each year. I haven't noticed anything with respect to cross. Seems to grow true to type every year. But spacing, wind, pollination conditions probably have a lot to do with this.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2019   #62
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I don't even try to save eggplant seeds. I typically only plant a couple of varieties each year which I've not grown before. I really can't taste a difference except for bitterness. The only qualities I look for is fruit size and productivity. Fruit color is a minor consideration. Growth rate is important to me because it usually determines when the first fruit will be available. I planted Nadia and White Star this year. The Nadia is growing almost double the rate of the White Star and already has a couple of blooms on it.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019   #63
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
My asian neighbor brought me seeds to start her eggplants. well, I started them 6 weeks or more ago and nothing. pfft. was I in a panic because after a month of noshows I thought I would not have time to get nice sized plants for her. so. I called 3 times with no results and finally, since I knew where she lived I stopped when I saw her lights on coming home one evening. they laughed. and said its okay.. "i must give you old seed. let me get fresh ones" eeek! old seed? oh well. now they are 1" high and transplanted. I planted 5 of them in my own tray to put them in the garden to see what they are.
Where are your Asian friends from?
I know 5 Asian varieties. Thai round and straight.
Japanese Ichiban
Two chinese purple varieties. I used to buy them from Asian market.
Indian . They are the size of large egg. The name eggplant fit those best.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019   #64
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Where are your Asian friends from?
I know 5 Asian varieties. Thai round and straight.
Japanese Ichiban
Two chinese purple varieties. I used to buy them from Asian market.
Indian . They are the size of large egg. The name eggplant fit those best.
You can get the white egg ones pickled in a jar of salt water or something from many Asian markets.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2019   #65
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea. she rarely speaks and her englis isn't really clear. she is as sweet as can be though. I will try to find out and what the kind of eggplant it is. I am growing oodles of it for her and I am sure she won't mind me growing acouple of the plants here either. I can't imagine she will have room for the number of them I grew for her. Like 75 plants and I quit transplanting.
Old April 12, 2019   #66
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
I have no idea. she rarely speaks and her englis isn't really clear. she is as sweet as can be though. I will try to find out and what the kind of eggplant it is. I am growing oodles of it for her and I am sure she won't mind me growing acouple of the plants here either. I can't imagine she will have room for the number of them I grew for her. Like 75 plants and I quit transplanting.
Any idea where in asia she is from? If you know the origin, as well as mature fruit, shape, size, color, it might be easy to narrow it down to a specific name. The chinese and japanese heirlooms are fairly well documented.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote