Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 19, 2018   #1
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I just dump the dry ferts on top and don't etch them in. I water immediately afterwards. Dry ferts can be: Tomato Tone, Plant Tone, Garden Tone.

This spring, I bought for the first time Neem Seed Meal and mixed that in with the mix / Earthbox, trying to stave off those soft insect bugs on the plant level.

I've dumped Neem Meal on top too. Yesterday, I mixed the Neem Seed meal with one of the tones and dumped on top of all of my containers. Then water.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I just dump the dry ferts on top and don't etch them in. I water immediately afterwards. Dry ferts can be: Tomato Tone, Plant Tone, Garden Tone.

This spring, I bought for the first time Neem Seed Meal and mixed that in with the mix / Earthbox, trying to stave off those soft insect bugs on the plant level.

I've dumped Neem Meal on top too. Yesterday, I mixed the Neem Seed meal with one of the tones and dumped on top of all of my containers. Then water.
I am interested to hear of the results of these experiments Barb.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #3
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I am interested to hear of the results of these experiments Barb.
Will do; I've always just dumped the tones on top of containers (Root Pouches) and then watered. I try to do this every 2 weeks.

This year, I was only putting the Neem Seed Meal on top of the 2017 plants to get a slow release.

The plants and EB that I mixed the Neem in the mix are doing great. But they are 2018 plants so they should do well. The 2 EB that I restarted with the neem - the KP pair and the SunOrange / SunGreen pair are the best 2 groups I EVER had.

I have not found any downside. For fall 2018, I am going to do Neem Seed Meal on all plants/ EB.

For people with Fungus gnats, this should work well.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2018   #4
DocBrock
Tomatovillian™

Is this the same neem seed meal that's like 5-1-2 slow release fertilizer or is it a different product?
DocBrock is offline   Reply With Quote