Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 28, 2018   #1
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

The Yummy pepper must be good. Never tried them. I'll have to look into those.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
The Yummy pepper must be good. Never tried them. I'll have to look into those.
They are the small sweet mixed bags of snacking peppers you see in the store, only better because they are fresh from your garden. My source was Jung Seed about 3 or 4 years ago, listed as Yummy Mixed Peppers. They are listed as Hybrid on their website, but the colors grow true (as well as shape and size), so they are OP.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
They are the small sweet mixed bags of snacking peppers you see in the store, only better because they are fresh from your garden. My source was Jung Seed about 3 or 4 years ago, listed as Yummy Mixed Peppers. They are listed as Hybrid on their website, but the colors grow true (as well as shape and size), so they are OP.
yes! they are OP peppers. I think they are getting money out of them by advertising them as hybrids since there are so few seeds in each one. the orange ones are the tastiest by the way.
Old January 28, 2018   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
yes! they are OP peppers. I think they are getting money out of them by advertising them as hybrids since there are so few seeds in each one. the orange ones are the tastiest by the way.
I agree, orange are the best. Yellows are a close 2nd. Red are my least favorite, but still good flavor, but walls are thinner than the orange and yellow.
Old January 28, 2018   #5
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Ditto
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #6
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Just because fruit color, shape and size "grow true" does not mean that the peppers are OP.

Both parents of a hybrid can have very similar peppers but be different in any number of other traits that may be subtle (eg. disease resistance).

Since I can find over 5 reputable seed sellers that sell them as F1 hybrids, I think it is very likely they are.

Of course it could be a conspiracy between all of these seed companies, but personally, I doubt it.

I know there have been charlatans who have sold OPs as hybrids in the past, but I think many folks now are too quick to assume malfeasance when there is none.

Quote:
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2018   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Just because fruit color, shape and size "grow true" does not mean that the peppers are OP.

Both parents of a hybrid can have very similar peppers but be different in any number of other traits that may be subtle (eg. disease resistance).

Since I can find over 5 reputable seed sellers that sell them as F1 hybrids, I think it is very likely they are.

Of course it could be a conspiracy between all of these seed companies, but personally, I doubt it.

I know there have been charlatans who have sold OPs as hybrids in the past, but I think many folks now are too quick to assume malfeasance when there is none.
I reckon I learned something today. I never would have thought of peppers growing true, at least in phenotype could still be a hybrid. But it makes sense. I don't have much of any disease pressure on my peppers so I don't know about those aspects. I guess for my purposes I consider them OP, they are consistent from year to year and always delicious.
Old January 28, 2018   #8
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

If they behave similarly to an OP, that is a good thing. Still a good idea to always save seeds from the best plant or plants (depending on how many you grow).

Quote:
I reckon I learned something today. I never would have thought of peppers growing true, at least in phenotype could still be a hybrid. But it makes sense. I don't have much of any disease pressure on my peppers so I don't know about those aspects. I guess for my purposes I consider them OP, they are consistent from year to year and always delicious.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote