Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 19, 2018   #121
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I think i have some that I grew last year, originals seeds came from Cole. I also have mighty minis from saved seed from store bought peppers which produced identical peppers and lots of them. Let me see if I can dig them up.
Dude your always helping me out! At least let me SASE this time, and if you need anything from my trade list plz let me know.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #122
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm planning on devoting most of my garden to peppers this year, instead of tomatoes. My market is very competitive, but I think there is a niche for "heirloom peppers." No one else is doing that, because everyone orders from catalogs, which are almost always hybrid varieties. My family was the first one with the Johnny's lunch box peppers, and then the year after that everyone had them, and they thus became much harder to sell.

One would think that other vendors would just buy a box of my heirloom peppers or tomatoes and save the seeds, but no one does that. I am guilty of it myself, but I just saved the seeds and did not start them. I honestly did that out of spite because I was mad at the other vendor for being snarky and rude when I asked her what varieties of "heirloom tomatoes" she was selling. She wouldn't answer the question, so I just bought one. As soon as my wallet came out, she was all smiles, and I was thinking 'lady, you have no idea about my intentions with this tomato.'
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #123
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Not sure if you've tried the variety 'King of the North' but I've been very pleased with it in southern Wisconsin. It might fit into your heirloom pepper plan.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #124
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Neat, thanks. I'm sure I will put in a Baker Creek order at some point. I see they carry it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #125
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing a lot of Japanese varieties this year (peppers and tomatoes). Not sure
how marketable it's going be though. They have bred some nice tomatoes OP and hybrid.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #126
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Neat, thanks. I'm sure I will put in a Baker Creek order at some point. I see they carry it.
They were my original source.
Old January 19, 2018   #127
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Not sure if you've tried the variety 'King of the North' but I've been very pleased with it in southern Wisconsin. It might fit into your heirloom pepper plan.
Last year I finally got a decent yield from King of the North, not writing any praise and glory for it due to past performance ... I am keeping it for this year (2018). Really hope to find something else much better though.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #128
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Last year I finally got a decent yield from King of the North, not writing any praise and glory for it due to past performance ... I am keeping it for this year (2018). Really hope to find something else much better though.
I never got great bell pepper yield in ground here, KON or others. Since I’ve moved my peppers to buckets I get tremendous production. My parents get 2-3 KON peppers from me each year but their garden is along the south wall of a white house they are in ground and have great results. This makes me wonder about soil temp and potentially too cool is bad for peppers.
Old January 19, 2018   #129
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I never got great bell pepper yield in ground here, KON or others. Since I’ve moved my peppers to buckets I get tremendous production. My parents get 2-3 KON peppers from me each year but their garden is along the south wall of a white house they are in ground and have great results. This makes me wonder about soil temp and potentially too cool is bad for peppers.
Yes, all peppers need hot soil to do well ... the namesake "King of the North" implies that it might do well in Northern climates but my experience is that it does not. I've been growing it for years (not sure why) and it really isn't worth the garden space - definitely looking for another good zone 5 Bell !!! My Cubanelles and other 'sweets' quickly out perform and out-taste them.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018   #130
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
Yes, all peppers need hot soil to do well ... the namesake "King of the North" implies that it might do well in Northern climates but my experience is that it does not. I've been growing it for years (not sure why) and it really isn't worth the garden space - definitely looking for another good zone 5 Bell !!! My Cubanelles and other 'sweets' quickly out perform and out-taste them.
I grow mainly snacking sweet peppers—those orange yellow and red ones that you see in the stores only taste a whole lot better fresh from the garden. Not that bells don’t do well for me now but for fresh eating the little sweets just are more convenient and taste a bit better anyway.
Old January 20, 2018   #131
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I've also noticed peppers seem to prefer pots. My 7 pot primo performed remarkably last year considering I neglected it pretty badly and forgot to water several times.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2018   #132
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Wonder if there is a pH element to it? Peppers can be a finicky bunch.
Old January 20, 2018   #133
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Oh and Cole, I have seeds if you want to use your purchase $$ on others.
Old January 20, 2018   #134
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wonder if there is a pH element to it? Peppers can be a finicky bunch.
There is a PH element to peppers, they don't grow well for me if there's too much peat in the soil mix. Some might disagree but peppers don't like too much peat, it lowers the PH too much.

Here's some good info on peppers.
http://www.ecoseeds.com/Pepper.growing.tips.html
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018   #135
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I'm planning on devoting most of my garden to peppers this year, instead of tomatoes. My market is very competitive, but I think there is a niche for "heirloom peppers." No one else is doing that, because everyone orders from catalogs, which are almost always hybrid varieties. My family was the first one with the Johnny's lunch box peppers, and then the year after that everyone had them, and they thus became much harder to sell.

One would think that other vendors would just buy a box of my heirloom peppers or tomatoes and save the seeds, but no one does that. I am guilty of it myself, but I just saved the seeds and did not start them. I honestly did that out of spite because I was mad at the other vendor for being snarky and rude when I asked her what varieties of "heirloom tomatoes" she was selling. She wouldn't answer the question, so I just bought one. As soon as my wallet came out, she was all smiles, and I was thinking 'lady, you have no idea about my intentions with this tomato.'
Me too, mostly in containers, but may put some in raised beds. I'm thinking of ordering some of the lunch box peppers from Johnny's.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote