Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 16, 2007   #1
Puregoodtomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Jaune Flammee Interior

Today I sliced my first ever Jaune Flammee and the interior was light to medium yellow. From what I read they are suppost to be blood-red inside. So I'm thinking its not the real macoy or maybe it wasn't fully ripe although the skin was nice and orange. Has any one had this happen?
Old July 17, 2007   #2
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

First time growing them so I don't know. Mine from Sandhill Preservation have a few days until they ripen. These were set out May 15th. As of today, they are more prolific than Sungold, Black Cherry and Orange Santa (which are not slackers themselves).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jaune Flamme.jpg (75.2 KB, 51 views)
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2007   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

That does look incredibly productive! If I had to guess, I'd say that was a cherry variety, but if the fruit size is that of JF then you're in for a treat.

Puregoodtomatoes,

I would wait until your JF is totally ripe to the point of being somewhat soft. Then it should have the desired blood-red interior that introduces so much flavor.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2007   #4
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

The one year I grew it, mine was the same way. The interior was about the same color as the exterior. I wondered if I pulled mine too early or if I had an imposter. The flavor was good though. Then I went to a tomato tasting last year, and the JF tomatoes there looked just like mine. So I don't know what to make of that. Maybe it's influenced by environmental conditions. Though here in the south, I would expect a darker coloring, rather than lighter, but who knows?
Old July 17, 2007   #5
DavidinCT
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
That does look incredibly productive! If I had to guess, I'd say that was a cherry variety, but if the fruit size is that of JF then you're in for a treat.
You may be right. Does it look like Pink Ping Pong? My notes say JF but my memory says PPP.
DavidinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2007   #6
Puregoodtomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I gave two plants away and I can't wait to compare them to mine. They do seem to be very, very productive. The size of mine are just a little bigger then Sungold, thats not too big... I'll have to report the taste later b'c I don't remember.
Old July 18, 2007   #7
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Mine were salad sized, (golf ball size more or less). SunGold is a pretty small cherry. So if it is only a little bigger than that, must be a cherry variety.
Old July 19, 2007   #8
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Here is a pic from 2005.
They are the round orange ones on cutting board;
alittle bigger than an apricot.

~ Tom

Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2007   #9
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Here's Jaune Flammee, Sungold (outer), and Sungold Select (inner.)

The first year I grew it from seeds from (I think) Marianna's, I had 2 different types, one was like a normal light green unripe fruit, the other looked like it had darker green coloring either on the shoulders or maybe green stripes, and 1 plant the fruits were slightly larger than another plant. Both when ripe were similar in color to Sungold.

I since have gotten seeds from Parks and looks like it has darker insides than outsides, plus overall, they are darker outside than the previous ones, much more orange color.

korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote