Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 16, 2007   #31
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Many years ago I started growing Jet Star and Supersonic from Harris after trying many hybrids and OPs (I liked Moreton hybrid also). IMHO they are 2 of the best tasting tomatoes you can grow. They are both very productive, and as resistant to disease as any (I have never had a crop failure on either of them).
As a matter of fact, I think Supersonic is as good tasting as any OP I have grown. I urge you to try Supersonic. I think you will be surprised at how good they taste.
About 4 years ago I tried Primetime (another Harris hybrid), a late LARGE determinate. The crop and taste are excellent. I have grown a couple every year since.
Last year I tried Brandyboy and I probably will continue to grow at least one from now on.
I also liked Big Boy and Big Girl (maybe no longer available?), but Supersonic IMO beats them for taste.
I also grow about 25 OPs, always looking for the ultimate tomato.
Happy Gardening,
Tom
Old July 17, 2007   #32
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

First, I am an enigma :-))

I prefer hybids, but dislike Big Beef, Sungold, Better Boy and Jet Star. These are favorites of most who also like heirlooms. Aren't I wierd?

HYBRIDS:
Anyway, I love "Bush" Big Boy fo flavor and productivity

Also like Lemon Boy,Bucks County, Sweet Baby Girl, Husky Cherry and Champion.

Wish you could buy Bush Big Boy plants, as my seedling have been dying for the last few years and I have to buy plants.

Will have to try Dr. Lyle if I can find plants. I can't stand only 0-2 fuits to a plant.

CECIL
Old July 18, 2007   #33
annietomatomad
Tomatovillian™

No one has mentioned Momotaro or Odoriko yet so I am going to give them a plug as being really wonderful hybrids. These two plants grew like weeds in my garden and produced an abundance of delicious, sweet almost perfect globe pink tomatoes. Of the two, I prefer Momotaro but many of my friends really liked Odoriko as well. I'm growing Momotaro again this year in my garden and this is probably one plant I'd like to grow every year.

Besides that, I'm also growing Sungold (every year), Sugar Snack, Brandy Boy, and Honey. I've only grown Sungold before, the rest are new to me. I'll report later on how they taste.
annietomatomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2007   #34
Ruby
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to second the mention of Momotaro...it's quite tasty, nice looking pink fruit.
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2007   #35
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

I will "third" Momotaro. An excellent producer of tasty toms. I grew one in a sunny window all last winter and got a few ripe fruit in January through April much to my surprise. I tried trimming it way back and planting outside but it didn't take to the move. No worry, I have two plants now doing great I started as seed with my regular bunch.

Other Hybrids that are always winners for me besides Momotaro are:

Big Beef
SunGold
Big Zac
Brandy Boy
Old July 18, 2007   #36
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,
I was just saw your question. First I will say this has been an unusual year so far. Started out cooler than normal and held up planting out. And stayed cooler than normal. Then had a moderate hail. And I probably pulled a few I should of left and left a few that I should of pulled. I planted one 60 ft row with a row of onions on each side 3 feet from the tomatoes . I've lost 10 of 16 all op's and heirlooms and then in another row 3 feet south of the onions on the other side I've lost 6 of 17 all op's and heirlooms. That is 16 of 33. But then originally I had 10 hybrids and 43 more op and heirlooms and only lost 4 of them. Not sure if it is a coincidence or if something from the onions was involved. I got them shipped to me from south TX. Have had thrips and spider mites. And from appearances most of the ones I've pulled have Tomato spotted wilt virus. Fits the descriptions I see on the internet sites. Have never had this problem before or thrips. Everything seems to be leveled out now knock on wood. Most are setting fruit. Still waiting on Aunt Gerties Gold, Kellog's Breakfast and Milka's Red Bulgarian. And these 3 are as nice, big and hardy as any in the garden. Still hoping for fruit set on each. The Cherokee Green from your seeds is very impressive so far. Have already set more fruit than I had on any Cherokee Purple last year. Anxious to taste one. Any suggestions you may have on my problem would be appreciated. Thanks Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2007   #37
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Best tasting tomatoes I've ever eaten have been Ramapo, a hybrid. And my best tasting red beefsteaks ever have been hybrids: Burpees Supersteak in NJ, Big Zac in VT.

I also wouldn't be without Cherokee Purple, Black Cherry, Brandywine, and Aunt Gerties Gold though.

So, IMO, whether a tomato is hybrid or OP has little bearing on how good it will taste.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote