Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 20, 2017   #136
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Cherry Roma! Who'd a thunk it Fred? It sounds so boring, but now I am VERY tempted to try it

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017   #137
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Anything with "roma" in it sounds boring.

I never would have tried it if it hadn't done very well in U. of Florida taste panels, and also the consensus at Tomatoville is very positive.

The only drawback, for a grower, is that the fruits are very small near the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Cherry Roma! Who'd a thunk it Fred? It sounds so boring, but now I am VERY tempted to try it

Linda
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017   #138
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Anything with "roma" in it sounds boring.

I never would have tried it if it hadn't done very well in U. of Florida taste panels, and also the consensus at Tomatoville is very positive.

The only drawback, for a grower, is that the fruits are very small near the end of the season.
I read that review and thought the U. of FL taste panels had lost their minds So glad that you gave them a try .

At least my tomato-loving dog might not notice if they're a bit small late-season although she might just demand MORE of them ......

Linda
Old September 20, 2017   #139
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

From Aug 12:
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
Tomatoes are just starting to ripen for me, and most of the first ones have BER from inconsistent watering. The taste winners so far, out of about 10 varieties, are Brutus and Green Gables. (Thanks to Marsha for seeds!) Sweet and luscious. It's so early in the season that every tomato tastes great, but these two are outstanding. Also notable are Jersey Devil and Black from Tula, which are the most productive so far and have had no BER.

Of the cherries. SunSugar F1 and Indigo Kumquat F1 are wonderful. They're both in the shady backyard, so are not very productive.
Now that the season is starting to wind down (thanks partly to the unusual scorching heat, up to 107F, for a day or two), the clear winner is George Detsikas! It has produced the largest tomatoes, and though GD and Black from Tula have been the most consistent producers, I like GD more (which is surprising, because reds are usually my last choice). But BfT, unlike almost every other variety, has had no BER and has been a consistent size and shape. Brutus produced a few tomatoes early in the season, but has produced few since, all of which have had BER or sunburn, or been misshapen.

My partner likes Green Gables and Casey's Pure Yellow ("melony favor") best. GG has been fairly consistent, but most tomatoes have been smaller and more oval than I like. CPY produced a dozen all at once, then a few here and there. My other green-when-ripe, Malakhitivaya Shkatulka, produced very few and then gave up.

My fave from last year, Rebel Yell, produced smaller and fewer tomatoes than expected, in 2 gardens. Pruden's Purple, a longtime favorite, was also a sparse producer. The flavor of both was, however, excellent. Right next to them, Lithium Sunset churned out more than a couple dozen tomatoes last week! They are small, but surprisingly solid and flavorful.

Soldacki was late and didn't produce a single normal-size unblemished fruit, but the small ones and the parts remaining after blemishes were cut away made it worth growing.

At this point in the season, Jersey Devil has been outshadowed by other varieties, and nearly every one has cracked!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017   #140
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Looking at some seed sites this description fits what I am growing perfectly. Seems like the seed companies could distinguish between the two different Traveler tomatoes since both seem to be great tasting tomatoes. The color rose-pink describes the one I am growing perfectly (same color as a pink rose)

Indeterminate, regular-leaf, 6', vigorous tomato plants that yield abundant crops of 8-ounce, round rose-pink tomatoes. Considered to be one of the best tasting tomato varieties with well balanced sweet/tart flavors. Arkansas Traveler is much esteemed for its ability to produce flavorful tomatoes under normally adverse conditions high heat, humidity or drought. Resistant to cracking and disease.

https://store.tomatofest.com/Arkansa..._p/tf-0028.htm
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017   #141
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Some in posts above say pink,others say Red which they say is wrong.

The most simple explanation is that there has been an epidermis mutation from clear(pink) to yellow (red),, but IMO the correct explanation is as follows.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ansas_Traveler

Arkansas was never part of the name as noted above.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/568/#b

scroll down in the above link to I think it was Farmer Dill who mentioned Gulf State Market and noted that there was an earlier version in the 20's and 30's, felt to be extnct.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

Note above that there was a RED version from about 1917.

Reimer's is selling it, but,well, Reimer's has sold F1's that were not, and well, I just have problems with them as a seed source as noted by others.

Summary? Arkansas was never part of the original name,Farmer Dill,whom I knew well, was right, there was an earlier version thought to be extinct, but apparently not extinct since someone got it out of the USDA PCGrin.

So each of you have two choices.Go with the simple explanation as opposed to what I call the correct one as noted above.

Hope that helps and was worth my doing all the background searching.,

Carolyn
I guess you are saying the red version may be the real Arkansas Traveler from the 1920's? I have always read that the real one was extinct. Whatever it is a wonderful tomato. I have more than 30 on two plants all getting ripe at the same time. Here is some more history on Traveler

https://www.uaex.edu/yard-garden/res...-traveler.aspx
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2017   #142
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I guess you are saying the red version may be the real Arkansas Traveler from the 1920's? I have always read that the real one was extinct. Whatever it is a wonderful tomato. I have more than 30 on two plants all getting ripe at the same time. Here is some more history on Traveler

https://www.uaex.edu/yard-garden/res...-traveler.aspx
Yes, my research has strongly suggested,you have the links,that there was an earlier version, the link showed 1917 and not extinct.

And yes,I know the link you put up, still have it in my faves, mainly b/c Bradley CO in Arkansas held what they called a Big Pink festival each year. No doubt to celebrate all the large pink ones that McFerren bred, such as Bradley.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.1LZL2UmHKEE

And now the links

https://www.google.com/search?q=Arka...&bih=788&dpr=1

Carolyn
Old September 21, 2017   #143
creeker
Tomatovillian™

Solar Flare has been great for me this year. Big beautiful fruit, kind of dark orange with yellow stripes, up to 1 pound. Very good taste, very meaty; some splitting of the large ones, but the best part for me is they hold so well on or off the vine without getting soft during our very hot weather. First to sell at the market. Ron
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2017   #144
creeker
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to mention my other favorite this year is actually an unknown variety. I bought a bucket of unripe tomatoes at a sale last fall and ripened them for drying. Some of them were medium sized yellow heirloom tomatoes which the seller didn't know the name of. We saved seeds from a couple of them and grew out a couple of plants. They turned out to be big great tasting yellow-orange fruits very solid and meaty inside with NO cracking or splitting and also hold very well. They look similar to Kelloggs Breakfast tomatoes. Will compare to KBX next year. Second to sell at the market. These and Solar Flare will be my top choices for heirlooms next year. Ron
creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2017   #145
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

My Orange Jazz is the latest star in the garden. Huge beautiful fruit on somewhat short plants. One of the big fruits pulled down a cage by its weight.
Chapman is also great, no blemish big reds.
George Detsikas was the star last year for production, but the flavor was average.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2017   #146
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

We are not responsible for pulled-down cages. You are probably over-feeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
My Orange Jazz is the latest star in the garden. Huge beautiful fruit on somewhat short plants. One of the big fruits pulled down a cage by its weight.
Chapman is also great, no blemish big reds.
George Detsikas was the star last year for production, but the flavor was average.
Old September 22, 2017   #147
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Not a complaint ! The more the merrier!

Quote:
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2017   #148
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ha ha! I'm waiting for the dwarf, saladette version

Linda
Old September 22, 2017   #149
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Me too!
Old September 24, 2017   #150
tryno12
Tomatovillian™

I think i over fed and watered a couple dwarfs! they grew huge and ripened quickly BUT taste bad........... i don't know for sure that the over feed and water did it or what
tryno12 is offline   Reply With Quote