Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2017   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™
 
Fred Hempel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sunol, CA
Posts: 1,992
Default Brandywine Orange

Has anyone grown Brandywine Orange?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 7,353
Default

I think it's just Yellow Brandywine being called a different name.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #3
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™
 
Fred Hempel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sunol, CA
Posts: 1,992
Default

They say it is from Tom Wagner though....

And it looks like he released something like this in 2011
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I think it's just Yellow Brandywine being called a different name.
Either that or the one called Apricot Brandywine, which came from Unwins in England and Martin SSE listed it so it got spread around,and in the opinion of many, not a good thing to do.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Apricot_Brandywine

Fred, I know of no Brandywine called Brandywine Orange.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #5
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™
 
Fred Hempel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sunol, CA
Posts: 1,992
Default

I didn't either. But the link I posted is a legit outfit, and I know they work with Tom Wagner. So, I am assuming that he does have a variety called Brandywine Orange.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 7,353
Default

This link:
http://newworldcrops.com/wp/uncatego...ble-this-year/

has a list of Tom Wagner varieties from 2011 with an entry for "Brandyvined Orange." I don't know if that is a typo or not.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #7
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
I didn't either. But the link I posted is a legit outfit, and I know they work with Tom Wagner. So, I am assuming that he does have a variety called Brandywine Orange.
Fred, about in the early 90's Tom sent me 22 varieties to trial for him, I no longer have that data book,but there ones named Bradywine that were striped, both PL (maybe this one with angora foliage) and RL version, visually beautiful but tasted lousy and he knew it and went on to do some back crossings.And one I think he called Brandywine Orange, but was MUCH smaller than typical size which was just awful,not just taste, but concentric cracks,zippering,splits,etc. and I told that to Tom.

When he first started breeding tomatoes he wanted to do pretty and unusual,and he did.

Why don't you contact him about anything he might have called Brandywine Orange and also ask him about the company offering it.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #8
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 365
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Either that or the one called Apricot Brandywine, which came from Unwins in England and Martin SSE listed it so it got spread around,and in the opinion of many, not a good thing to do.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Apricot_Brandywine

Fred, I know of no Brandywine called Brandywine Orange.

Carolyn
Here is a description I found on the Michigan Heirlooms website:

"APRICOT BRANDYWINE
I was really impressed with this tomato. Outrageously beautiful! Shiny dark apricot fruits averaging just under a pound with slightly ribbed shoulders and glossy skin. Super meaty and nearly coreless, with few seeds and gel. Flavor is exceptional; sweet and mellow with a slight acid finish. Disease resistance and drought tolerance was excellent; out-performing all other Brandywine-types in the 2015 garden.
HISTORY: There is controversy regarding the history of this variety. Some believe that it is just a renamed version of Yellow Brandywine and/or Summer Cider. While I have seed for Summer Cider I have not grown it out yet, so I can not speak to it potentially being a renamed version of this cultivar. However, I did grow out both Yellow Brandywine and Apricot Brandywine this past summer (2015) side by side, and saw no resemblance, whatsoever. Apricot Brandywine far out-performed in all categories over Yellow Brandywine (note, that I don't even list the latter). I think it's also important to note here my seed source(s). While I do not have my original source for Yellow Brandywine (this was pre-database years- 2003), the seed I used in 2015 came from seed saved from the original source, out of 2006's garden. Apricot Brandywine seed was procured from Martin Longseth (WI). There is a gentleman on the web that states that he purchased "Apricot Brandywine" seed from a company in the UK called Unwins in 2004. This may be where the renaming originated, as Summer Cider is purported to have been bred in this vicinity. Whatever the real history is, I am not sure, but I will be growing all three out side-by-side in 2016. Until then, it is my belief that this is indeed a unique variety and am offering it as such."

And here is the link to that page, if you'd like to read it directly. Just scroll down alphabetically: http://www.michiganheirlooms.com/TomatoBEEFSTEAK.html

Now this has piqued my curiosity! Love to try it.
Seeds, seeds, the last thing I need are more seeds!?!
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #9
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
This link:
http://newworldcrops.com/wp/uncatego...ble-this-year/

has a list of Tom Wagner varieties from 2011 with an entry for "Brandyvined Orange." I don't know if that is a typo or not.
Me either, but if you read through his list you'll see that at that time he was offering seeds for many already known varieties as well. I saw Brandystripes and wondered what that was all about since I already posted elsewhere here that I trialed Brandystripes for him severl decades ago.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2017   #10
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Manhattan View Post
Here is a description I found on the Michigan Heirlooms website:

"APRICOT BRANDYWINE
I was really impressed with this tomato. Outrageously beautiful! Shiny dark apricot fruits averaging just under a pound with slightly ribbed shoulders and glossy skin. Super meaty and nearly coreless, with few seeds and gel. Flavor is exceptional; sweet and mellow with a slight acid finish. Disease resistance and drought tolerance was excellent; out-performing all other Brandywine-types in the 2015 garden.
HISTORY: There is controversy regarding the history of this variety. Some believe that it is just a renamed version of Yellow Brandywine and/or Summer Cider. While I have seed for Summer Cider I have not grown it out yet, so I can not speak to it potentially being a renamed version of this cultivar. However, I did grow out both Yellow Brandywine and Apricot Brandywine this past summer (2015) side by side, and saw no resemblance, whatsoever. Apricot Brandywine far out-performed in all categories over Yellow Brandywine (note, that I don't even list the latter). I think it's also important to note here my seed source(s). While I do not have my original source for Yellow Brandywine (this was pre-database years- 2003), the seed I used in 2015 came from seed saved from the original source, out of 2006's garden. Apricot Brandywine seed was procured from Martin Longseth (WI). There is a gentleman on the web that states that he purchased "Apricot Brandywine" seed from a company in the UK called Unwins in 2004. This may be where the renaming originated, as Summer Cider is purported to have been bred in this vicinity. Whatever the real history is, I am not sure, but I will be growing all three out side-by-side in 2016. Until then, it is my belief that this is indeed a unique variety and am offering it as such."

And here is the link to that page, if you'd like to read it directly. Just scroll down alphabetically: http://www.michiganheirlooms.com/TomatoBEEFSTEAK.html

Now this has piqued my curiosity! Love to try it.
Seeds, seeds, the last thing I need are more seeds!?!
The owner of that site is Karen Golden whom I know very well. When she first started out she had many wrong descriptions and both Tania and I offered to help her out and we did and she appreciated it.

Note that she said she got the Apricot one from Martin Longseth, and I posted about him and his listing it in the SSE Yearbook.

Karen was also as special friend of Earl,who is back with the website The Depot which went through many name changes over the years, for political reasons..

I'm so glad you posted the link since I could not remember the name Karen Golden. She is laTV member here but I haven't seen her here in ages.

Carolyn,
who hopes she compares Apricot with the several others that have been suggested here as well.
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: AL
Posts: 1,999
Default

Fred... Have you seen this about the Brandywine Orange?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1160644...seeds-heirloom
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2017   #12
ddsack
Tomatovillian™
 
ddsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Minnesota - zone 3
Posts: 2,621
Default

Hmm. I'm a little skeptical that the person knows that much about the Brandywines -
Quote:
Orange Brandywine Tomato is an heirloom tomato. It comes in red, yellow and orange.
No mention of PINK - the true original? Oh well, I guess red is close enough!
__________________
Dee

**************
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #13
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator
 
Tom Wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 8407 18th Ave West 7-203 Everett, Washington 98204
Posts: 1,157
Default

Has anyone grown Brandywine Orange?

Yes, I have now for about 12 years.


I think it's just Yellow Brandywine being called a different name.

Nope, it is not just Yellow Brandywine


They say it is from Tom Wagner though....
And it looks like he released something like this in 2011

It is from my breeding work. I had a related line called Brandyvined Orange in 2011 but not released, just listed as a maybe.

Fred, I know of no Brandywine called Brandywine Orange

I did not see "Brandywine Orange" as an available variety and i went with that name as a working name as the internet was not bringing that name up.

I didn't either. But the link I posted is a legit outfit, and I know they work with Tom Wagner. So, I am assuming that he does have a variety called Brandywine Orange

Garden America, Supernaturals, Mighty Mato A P Whaley allowed me a contract to have them test a number of my creations during 2014 and 2015. The seed I sent to Modesto, CA was in a highly guarded test plot that I could not visit nor send anyone to see either.

….has a list of Tom Wagner varieties from 2011 with an entry for "Brandyvined Orange." I don't know if that is a typo or not.

It was not a typo. I have a tendency to name varieties with tongue in cheek!


Why don't you contact him about anything he might have called Brandywine Orange and also ask him about the company offering it.

The companies growing my varieties or offering grafted plants from my seed do not communicate with me much, nor do people generally contact me. I did, however, get a note on my forum about this. Somebody who is on TVille did go to my forum but did not leave their real name.

Fred... Have you seen this about the Brandywine Orange?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1160644...seeds-heirloom

The seed industry is not too precise on the Brandywines available

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The pedigree of BRANDYWINE ORANGE is known only to myself and will likely will die with me. As long as breeders are poorly compensated for their work I see little reason to divulge all. I am hoping people buying the grafted BRANDYWINE ORANGE will contact me and tell me what they think of this heirloom derived tomato variety. I would like to get some OP seed from your plant if you grow one, since I was not offered any increased seed back from the new owners of my variety.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 7,353
Default

Hi Tom! Thanks for stopping by to answer questions.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2017   #15
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 365
Default Apricot Brandywine Seeds

For anyone reading this thread that might be interested in seeds for Apricot Brandywine, here is a link to Tomato Eden's webpage. They have them in stock now:

http://tomatoeden.com/?417,brandywine-apricot

I feel a jones coming on...
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★