Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 26, 2016   #466
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Nifty table with all the diff languages, I like it.
I spend too much time researching languages and words.
I am also the rare person in the US that thinks all children should be multi lingual starting right now.
It would solve SO many of our problems.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2016   #467
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I love San Diego. We visited it once and are in love with it. We took one trip on the party boat, my DH got BIG lingcod. The guys working on that party boat were saying that they have seeing fish of that kind and size about 4-5 years ago.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; August 26, 2016 at 03:18 PM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #468
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Gerardo my man those CHESTE glamor shots are making me salivate. Looks like you got some awesome varieties going for the winter round.
Cheap dig camera seems to do the job.

I'm already on my 4th round this year, really like this growing year round thing, my learning curve is steep. It's almost dog years when compared to single season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I spend too much time researching languages and words.
I am also the rare person in the US that thinks all children should be multi lingual starting right now.
It would solve SO many of our problems.

Worth
It would solve many problems. Generally speaking, US tourists go to Mexico and feel better because the country is pretty horrible in some spots. What they should do is hit Europe and see countries where other ways of organizing themselves work better than the US system, once you realize "'merica" isn't the only way, it all snowballs from there. And the 1st step is languages.

My boy will be bilingual Eng-Span (and I'll make sure it's write-read-speak at the top level), and I figure he needs a third one, so we'll likely learn Chinese or Japanese together, since their local embassies do classes at an affordable price. Perhaps a Slavic language or a dead one like Sanskrit or Latin, reading a Chekov short story in the original language, or the Rigveda or Sallust could be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I love San Diego. We visited it once and are in love with it. We took one trip on the party boat, my DH got BIG lingcod. The guys working on that party boat were saying that they have seeing fish of that kind and size about 4-5 years ago.
Funny you mention the lings, as I was speaking about them in detail just a few days ago. The pics of them with their mouth open were freaking my boy out. And I was salivating thinking of deep fried ling fingers.

And since lings usually hang out at the rocks with their friends, what I was really craving was the Vermillion Rockfish stew. With my garden tomato paste in hand, I think this year's version of the stew will be outstanding. Huge chunks of flesh that retain their integrity throughout the cooking process, and the flavor is outstanding. I followed my panguero's --sidenote, panga is the small raft normally used to go fishing, hence, the person/capt is calleda panguero, not pescador, that would be you as the active passenger--req when I saw his eyes light up when we pulled a few of these.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #469
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Gerardo gringos aren't mad here because people speak Spanish and not English they are mad because they cant speak Spanish.
This is a common reaction of the ignorant to hate what they dont understand.
When a person learns to speak Spanish they are no longer a gringo.
By doing what I mentioned before would help everyone and our country get out of its we only speak English stupidity.
Americans dont even speak English.
Some collage kids I was with found this out real fast in London.
You need to form a cue.
What the hell is a cue a girl asked me.
It is a line, get in line.
Why dont they speak English how did you know what it meant?
They are you aren't you tell me I am just a lowly oil worker your the collage kid.

Your son will go far in Europe if he learns to speak German.

I love looking at your tomato pictures by the way.

Worth
Old August 27, 2016   #470
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Gerardo wrote:

It would solve many problems. Generally speaking, US tourists go to Mexico and feel better because the country is pretty horrible in some spots. What they should do is hit Europe and see countries where other ways of organizing themselves work better than the US system, once you realize "'merica" isn't the only way, it all snowballs from there. And the 1st step is languages.

My boy will be bilingual Eng-Span (and I'll make sure it's write-read-speak at the top level), and I figure he needs a third one, so we'll likely learn Chinese or Japanese together, since their local embassies do classes at an affordable price. Perhaps a Slavic language or a dead one like Sanskrit or Latin, reading a Chekov short story in the original language, or the Rigveda or Sallust could be interesting.

&&&&&&

Please consider Latin,it's not dead,and it's the root language of many other languages as well.The most valuable language for me,ever,3 years of it in HS and still use it to puzzle out certain words before resorting to Google.

I tried to learn Russian but that didn't work out very well,but will try again from the book that Velikopop ( Alex) in Canada sent me.

About Canadians and US persons settling in Mexico.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/suzan-...d&ir=WorldPost

Should I consider moving to Mexico? You know I've already been to many places with my then friend Cindy Leon, who was bilingual,her father Javier would let one of his drivers take us to wherever we wanted to go.

Javier and his two brothers escaped from Spain,went to Morocco,finally made it to the US,all three went to college,working insane hours to pay their way.

Javier ended up selling steel mills to various countries and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II for his contributions. Javier and second wife had an unbelievable huge apt in Mexico City,with maids and cooks and one person to walk the dogs, but also had another so called compound south of Dallas,TX, also outstanding.

Ring a bell inside the house when you wanted to go in the pool so someone came and skimmed the nasty critters first,step out of the shower and a maid waited with these huge towels for you, go to breakfast and the cook asked what you wanted for breakfast and I have to settle for someone to bring me something from Taco Bell.Not really true since there are several Mexican restaurants selling authentic food not that far away but so far I haven't been able to convince someone to go fetch for me..

I LOVE Mexican food and maybe I could get weekly delivery of soft turrone.

Carolyn,who once again has typed too much but it's the memories that just kind of pop up.
Old August 27, 2016   #471
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Gerardo gringos aren't mad here because people speak Spanish and not English they are mad because they cant speak Spanish.
This is a common reaction of the ignorant to hate what they dont understand.
When a person learns to speak Spanish they are no longer a gringo.
By doing what I mentioned before would help everyone and our country get out of its we only speak English stupidity.
Americans dont even speak English.
Some collage kids I was with found this out real fast in London.
You need to form a cue.
What the hell is a cue a girl asked me.
It is a line, get in line.
Why dont they speak English how did you know what it meant?
They are you aren't you tell me I am just a lowly oil worker your the collage kid.

Your son will go far in Europe if he learns to speak German.

I love looking at your tomato pictures by the way.

Worth
I watch Sky News Live on youtube and force my boy to listen to Her Majesty's English. He'll pick up romance languages fast. German could work, I'll look into it.

My favorite is when I'm sitting somewhere waiting and a group of my brethren pass by and annoy the person sitting next to me, without realizing I'm one of them they say something completely inappropriate and I usually agree with them for the conversation to end as quickly as possible. Earlier in life I tried, I don't anymore.

Conversely, my brethren do not realize I'm one of them and say inappropriate things, and my retort is tailored for maximum impact and humiliation by reshaping what they just said against them. It usually leads to the alpha practically losing his status with the pack.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #472
imp
Tomatovillian™

I agree, being multi-lingual is an excellent ability to have, and also agree with Carolyn about Latin, since it is the root of several languages. Staring so young, when the mind is pliable and accepting, plus having access to classes in other languages from native speakers at reasonable costs is such a stroke of luck!

I keep struggling with Spanish though, and have Audible Spanish tapes tapes to listen to and attempt to learn from. I may mangle it, but will keep trying as I think it is important and a major language to be able to at least understand.

I wish both you and your son many happy years, enjoying and learning languages together.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #473
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
I watch Sky News Live on youtube and force my boy to listen to Her Majesty's English. He'll pick up romance languages fast. German could work, I'll look into it.

My favorite is when I'm sitting somewhere waiting and a group of my brethren pass by and annoy the person sitting next to me, without realizing I'm one of them they say something completely inappropriate and I usually agree with them for the conversation to end as quickly as possible. Earlier in life I tried, I don't anymore.

Conversely, my brethren do not realize I'm one of them and say inappropriate things, and my retort is tailored for maximum impact and humiliation by reshaping what they just said against them. It usually leads to the alpha practically losing his status with the pack.
Exactly.
Pulls the rug right out from under them, no more code.
Plus it helps good folks coming here to the US that want to learn from real people.

Worth
Old August 27, 2016   #474
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I agree, being multi-lingual is an excellent ability to have, and also agree with Carolyn about Latin, since it is the root of several languages. Staring so young, when the mind is pliable and accepting, plus having access to classes in other languages from native speakers at reasonable costs is such a stroke of luck!

I keep struggling with Spanish though, and have Audible Spanish tapes tapes to listen to and attempt to learn from. I may mangle it, but will keep trying as I think it is important and a major language to be able to at least understand.

I wish both you and your son many happy years, enjoying and learning languages together.
Instead of me trying to teach the guys I have worked with English I try to learn Spanish from them.
This way I get good stuff at the Taco truck not the gringo egg and potato.
Plus it helps me with my work and asking for tools and such.
It really isn't that hard many of the words are one we use for different things.
By the time it is over we are both speaking a mix of both.
Been a long time though.
Screw=tornillo very close to tornado.
Es=is.
Ladder=escalera think rise.
Hammer=martillo very close to mallet.
Martin martillo grande y escalera amarillo.
It was this or pull my hair out and get mad.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; August 27, 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old August 27, 2016   #475
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The catch about learning another language is that if you don't use it, you lose it. Even a person's native tongue can be forgotten if he or she leaves the company of native speakers for long enough.

I once had a girlfriend from the Dominican Republic. She came to the US at 16, speaking no English. I knew her about ten years after that. At one point I asked her, "do you think in Spanish or English?" She had to ponder the question for a moment. She said that it had been long enough since she arrived here, using English every day, that by now she thought mostly in English.

I took a couple years of Latin in high school. It did help with learning legal terms, many of which are Latin. But it made me a pronunciation snob. Since Latin is dead as a spoken language, modern people tend to break pronunciation rules to make it sound more like English. For example, Veni Vidi Vici, (I came, I saw, I conquered) would have been pronounced by Caesar as "Winnie, Widdie, Wickie," which sounds kind of silly in English, like a quote from Elmer Fudd.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #476
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My old dog Boo Boo was tri lingual depending on the command.
His original owner didn't even know how to make him stop.
Halt nein.
Queso.

Worth
Old August 27, 2016   #477
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Maybe I missed it but you said you had "Huge trusses on Ramillete De Colgar types". What did you think of the tomatoes when they ripened and how was the production.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #478
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Maybe I missed it but you said you had "Huge trusses on Ramillete De Colgar types". What did you think of the tomatoes when they ripened and how was the production.
Nancy, I've gone back to page 29 but I can't find what or whom you are referring to.

Which post # is it?

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old August 28, 2016   #479
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Post # 375. It was a heading of a picture.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2016   #480
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Post # 375. It was a heading of a picture.

OK,found it

Huge trusses on Ramillete De Colgar types.

Some De Colgar varieties are multifloras and some are not,but I can't answer the question as to that one only Gerardo can.

I have two plants of this one

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34658&page=4

Older man with large multiflora beefsteaks

Growing here at home,short name is Ribera, and most de colgars have smaller fruits,which are harvested when not quite ripe and hung up to ripen up.

It goes back to the time when there was no refrigeration,so these de colgar ones would ripen up thru the winter. Found mainly in Spain and Italy and often generically called winter tomatoes.

There are several of us who have been very interested in the Spanish ones, my seeds via the SSE Yearbook from Ilex, I shared seeds with Gerardo,Vladimir from the Czech Republic has had a wonderful project going,his from Baikal from the Island of Malloraca.

The diversity found is extraordinary and I will continue to order from Ilex for new ones. in a recent post here in another thread he said one doesn't have to be an SSE members,but would limit according to the specs in the Yearbook,or close to that and maybe trade with a few others I know,especially for the multiflora ones.

Several of my 7 seed producers are growing some out this summer and Gerardo is also doing seed production for me for the ones I sent him,and if all goes well they will be listed in the next seed offer this Fall.

Carolyn