Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 6, 2007   #151
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Your Cherokee Purple looks beautiful and delicious! None of my "full size" tomatoes have started to color up yet.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007   #152
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Well, I was thrilled that my Brandywine OTV was setting like crazy, with 25 fruits on 1 plant. But it seemed odd that they weren't getting any bigger. Then today, 3 of them started ripening. There's no way I am getting ripe Brandywine OTV before ripe Jet Star and some of the others. So I'm now about 95% sure it's a Kimberly plant. hehehe Oh well.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007   #153
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Things have picked up. Got at least 20 of each BW sudduth, EF, Cherokee P and Stupice. Have at least 5 GMG, Black Krim, Box C. Willie, sungold, and BrandyBoy. Only a few off of a new italian heirloom,Pineapple, and perssimon. Had one Brad's black heart but thought a worm invaded it so I cut it off, but I was wrong. Still waiting on Coustrelle, Omar's L, German Orange Strawberry, Anna R, P. Calabash, Dwarfs and Ind. from the project, Cheers.

Vince
Old May 7, 2007   #154
duajones
Tomatovillian™

This is a black krim that I pulled early. It was in a cluster that was destroyed by a fruit worm and I accidently pulled it while pulling the bad ones. It doesnt look like its completely ripe but is getting pretty soft to the touch. Thinking I might give it one more day.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007   #155
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have about 25 tomatoes on a Lime Green Salad plant in the back patch and if all goes well the thing should have something like 75 by the time I come home again.
I hope I like this tomato as it has been a real winner as far as overall growth, health and productivity.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007   #156
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Worth -

I'm looking forward to your reports of "Ocharovanie" as I'm growing them here in the Garden State this season.
Hope all is well ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007   #157
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Ok Tom I have 13 fruit set on the "Ocharovanie" so far and every bloom, well shoot let me go out and count the things, ‘be right back----------------I’m back, about 10 more blooms should set fruit.
So far I have only had 1 bloom fall off, the first one.
This aint no scraggly plant it is only about 2 ½ feet tall and bushy, it is also growing in the worst place in the ground as far as hard dirt but it has a nice hole to live in.

So far so good.

Worth
Old May 7, 2007   #158
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a "winner" so far to me ! Wonder what it would do if it had a "good" spot ! lol ~ Hope all is well ...

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007   #159
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Looks like I have a couple more little toms on Anna Russian.

Feldon, has your Anna stopped being so shy?
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007   #160
duajones
Tomatovillian™

For those that have looked at the Black Krim above, does it look like Black Krim to you. Looking at photos it appears to be a little different.
Old May 7, 2007   #161
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Looks similar to my krim, slightly off but not by much.
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007   #162
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Had a couple more sungolds last night and to this point they are spitters. I picked these when they had good color and let them set on the counter for a few days. I did notice that there was still some green color inside so I guess I am just not letting them get ripe enough.
Old May 8, 2007   #163
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
Had a couple more sungolds last night and to this point they are spitters. I picked these when they had good color and let them set on the counter for a few days. I did notice that there was still some green color inside so I guess I am just not letting them get ripe enough.
I cannot stress this enough folks need to leave the sungolds on the vine until they are good and ripe.

I mean a deep dark orange, if you are worried about splitting just make sure they are well watered and no dry spells.

These tomatoes will LOOK ripe for a long time but you need to leave them alone, they should almost fall off on their own.

The same can be said for yellow pear and other cherries/grapes as well.
They should be picked when they look almost orange to have any flavor.
the reds should be a dark stop sign red.
they should all be soft to the touch.

I think most tomatoes are picked too early due to fear of something happening to them, or folks just cant wait.

If the tomatoes have some green in them they were picked about a week too early.

If they are still greenish on the out side maybe two weeks early.

It takes a lot of patients to grow good tomatoes, don't mis out by eating too early.

After all these things put on a lot of fruit so just leave some on and see for your self, trust me you will be astonished at the difference in flavor.

Worth
Old May 9, 2007   #164
duajones
Tomatovillian™

sliced a Black Krim at work yesterday to share with my boss and co worker. They both looked at it kind of funny but both said after tasting that it may be the best tomato they have ever tasted. One of the joys of growing tomatoes....sharing
Old May 9, 2007   #165
MargeH
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by duajones View Post
One of the joys of growing tomatoes....sharing
I have been taking in some of my unusual ones for a taste testing at work.

One of the ones I took in today was a Cherokee Purple. When I cut it open, I got the usual reaction, "Is it rotten?" one of my co-workers exclaimed. After tasting it, they decided it was just fine.

I also took in a Kellogg's Breakfast. Almost everyone liked it but didn't think it tasted like a "tomato."

One of my younger co-workers has been shocked by all the colors of tomatoes I have been bringing in. She didn't know that tomatoes could be anything but "round and red."

Marjorie
MargeH is offline   Reply With Quote