Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 11, 2016   #1
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Number of Tomatoes in a Container??

I have 30 gal containers in my green house. My question is how many plants per container for both indt and det.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #2
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Have never grown Determinates in a Pot/Container. We have never successfully grown multiple Indeterminate in a pot and we have 30 gallon pots as well. I will be planting Mortgage Lifter, Omar's Lebanese, Gregori -Altai and Sungold in Large pots this year.
Old February 11, 2016   #3
jillian
Tomatovillian™

One indeterminate . You might be able to put two determinates in a 30 gallon, in my experience one does well while the other is stunted.
I grew indeterminate varieties in 20 gallon containers last year and had great results. The potting mix must be well amended, and you must fertilizer appropriately.
Happy growing!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You can grow just about anything in any size container you just have to be willing to pour the water and fertilizer to it.
In my experiments this year there was no way I could amend the soil enough in the smaller containers.
I have also found out it is better to give smaller shots of water throughout the day as opposed to soaking them and not doing anything for the rest of the day.
Its accomplishes two things.
One it doesn't wash out the nutrients.
Two it keeps the soil at a constant level of moisture.
I have also been feeding plants by bottom watering and feeding and top watering and feeding.
The bottom watering is far better just because it is easier to do everything.

I wait till the container I have them in is dry and add more water and food.
I have two 40 gallon live stock water tubs I am going to set some plants in one gallon containers in and see what I can get out of them.
Just for the heck of it.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #5
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Yes, you can grow in any size however that does not mean you should. The bigger container the better for many reasons. And not the least of which is watering. The smaller the container the quicker it will dry out which is detrimental to the plant. In our 100 degree weather during the summer I watered every other day, thoroughly. Applied fish/seaweed fert every other week.
The plants did well all summer and were still healthy when I pulled them.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
Yes, you can grow in any size however that does not mean you should. The bigger container the better for many reasons. And not the least of which is watering. The smaller the container the quicker it will dry out which is detrimental to the plant. In our 100 degree weather during the summer I watered every other day, thoroughly. Applied fish/seaweed fert every other week.
The plants did well all summer and were still healthy when I pulled them.
Not saying it is practical just saying it can be done.
I have never had any luck growing in containers here due to the fact I was never around to keep them watered.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Whoose, if you prune them, you can get two large indetermnates or three determinates in one of those large containers. The problem will be all the foliage crowding things. Worth hit it on the head when he says you must be willing to do the extra watering and fertilizing as the amount of foliage gets larger.

I can normally get two dwarfs in one 18 gallon pot, but they need water twice a day when we get to mid-summer. So, how much work and worry are you willing to do??
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2016   #8
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I grow everything in 5 gallon home depot buckets but they are all self watering. It can be done and its productive and awesome. I would think you should have no trouble in 30 gallons
Here is my setup:http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=37141