Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 18, 2007   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

A couple of years ago a lot of rfolks were complaining about Jiffy Mix and someone contacted the company but I don't remember what the conclusion was.

I've always used Jiffy Mix or Pro Mix or Fafard for seed starting with no problems. And many of you know that I have a large seed collection and many of them are older seeds now. And from time to time I have to wake up some of that old seed and to date have never had problems doing that with Jiffy Mix. I've used the one without micronutrients and never use a dome and never a heat mat; just gentle bottom heat either in my farmer frind Charlie's seed greenhouse where the concrete benches are warmed from below by circulating warm water or here at home where I put the seed pans on top of a lighted fixture on a plant stand.

As for Sandhill, perhaps many of you don't know it, but Glenn sells no seeds that are more than two years old. And there's no one else who can make that claim. Actually it amazes me that he can do that.

With over 400 varieties listed do you realize how many plants have to go out each year just for new seed stock?
Old March 19, 2007   #17
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I don't know for sure how many plants Glenn sets out each year but it has to be huge. I estimate over 2000. He has a few growers who produce seed for him. Maybe some of them produce tomato seed too. I sent him a few thousand tomato seed this year of Liz Birt and Gary O'Sena.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #18
caudill78
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year using Jiffy Mix and I am still not real sure what to think of it... I planted my first batch of seeds one week ago today and I still have no germination... I really don't know what to expect... Hopefully everything will begin to come up within the next couple of days... But still, it worries me that nothing has sprouted... Any one got any ideas about what might be up with my germination time
caudill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #19
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Caudill,
This seems strange. I've started pepper and tomato seeds with it and had peppers up after 5 days and tomatoes started at 3 days. Not all are up so will have to wait and see about final germination rate. I wet mine in a bucket, put it in the cells, put seed on top and put about and 1/8 on top then sprinkled them with a spray bottle. Hope yours start. I've had some trouble in the past with others and have decided at times I think I was getting some to deep. Best of luck. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #20
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Caudill,

Did you soak your seeds? Anywhere from an hour to overnight?
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2007   #21
blatanna
Tomatovillian™

Michael, is that pure peat you use or a peat mix?
Old March 23, 2007   #22
Joel5000
Tomatovillian™

I used Jiffy Mix (also purchased from Wal Mart) to start my seeds 2 weeks ago, and I had 100% germination [48 out of 48] within 5 days. I do think that Jiffy varies quite a bit from batch to batch. I got a couple of bags last year that were very coarse with a lot of twigs. All my seeds were between 1-3 years old.

I always over-sow because I expect poor germination, and I end up with way too many seedlings. I;m only going to pot-up the ones I need (and the ones that family and friends have requested). I'll be composting the rest.
Joel5000 is offline   Reply With Quote