Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 25, 2015   #16
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Zen, I had received some seeds of both the "regular" and the "Malawi" type peppers from one of your countrymen. I grew both in the same year, and they were side by side in the garden. I could detect no real difference between the supposedly different plants. I can't speak to the tastes, because I am a pepper wimp when it comes to the "heat". I still have some of the seeds I saved, but I don't know how viable they are now. It's been 4 years and a lot of pepper seeds don't age well.

During the time I grew them, I didn't add any fertilizer at all. They had only the ground I put them in and water.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #17
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Ted. It looks like the Malawi pepperdew is starting to flower now. I have transplanted it into the garden this past weekend so hopefully it will love it's new sunny spot.

For what it's worth it was set up I will a hydroponic Dutch bucket setup so I doubt nutrient deficiencies or excess had anything to do with it.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2015   #18
mmm123
Tomatovillian™

Default fertilizer

I love to give my peppers liquid 20-20-20 about every 2 weeks. ( miracle grow )
They flower constantly and have tons of peppers also. Last summer my tabasco plant was 3 foot tall and 3 foot wide and it produced all summer long. People in Florida say you can't grow peppers or tomatos in the summer but my plant rocked. This summer my plant was 2 years old and had smaller leaves. The plant hated the heat and the peppers didn't develope. It was in the same place as last year and eventually croaked. I have 2 new plants starting to crank up. I am eating 5-10 a day. Next February I will start a couple new plants to be sure I have one fresh big green leaves to protect plant and try again in the summer. Hopefully my 2 plants will still be rocking then? Luckily I got about a half a parmesean cheese bottle full of powder from my tabasco and ghost peppers while
I was out of production this summer. You can't have too much peppers/powder
Anyway 20-20-20 liquid
Mike
mmm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2015   #19
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Here's the photos of my 2010 effort. I changed cameras in the middle of this, so don't pay any mind to the 2008 date. The 2010 date is accurate. Picture #4 shows that there were two plants . Malawi on the left and Peppadew on the right. There is also a slight foliage color difference shown in the last picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oct30Garden 008.jpg (301.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Pepdo2.JPG (141.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Pepdo3.JPG (148.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Pepdo6.JPG (135.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Peppadont2010a.jpg (288.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 022.jpg (331.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 023.jpg (359.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 024.jpg (363.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 025.jpg (357.9 KB, 30 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote